Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default de-rusting inside tubes

I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

A small wire brush on a pipe rod would allow the full rube to be cleaned.
Have a look through the eBay listing for pipe cleaning apparatus and you
should get a few good hits.

You might be able to find a drain cleaning spring with an abrasive
attachment also, with a web search.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brian mitchell wrote in message
I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

Flexible driveshaft like this from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLEXIBLE-36-POW22:27
11/11/08ER-TOOL-DRILL-FLEXI-DRIVE-SHAFT-NEW_W0QQitemZ250322388987

the is then a huge range and size of Dremel type wire brush/grinding wheels
from the same source.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:16:36 GMT, brian mitchell
wrote:

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

Electrolytic de-rusting? Put a rod down the middle as the anode and
make the tube the cathode. If you need a long thin bath make it out
of a length of drain pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 11, 9:16*pm, brian mitchell wrote:
I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

Grind stones for die grinder. A ball shaped one would also presumably
do, and wear better.

The one option not yet mentioned is sandblasting.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

You don't say what length the tubes are but what you probably want is
a device that garages and engine rebuilders use for cleaning up the
bores of engine blocks . It's a steel rod with a flap wheel device at
the end ....fit it in a drill and stick it in the tube and off you go.
It looks something like this
https://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-...ng-Length.html.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:16:36 +0000, brian mitchell wrote:

I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

Depending on the degree of rusting and the length of the tubes a suitably
sized length of wooden dowel wrapped with emery cloth might be
satisfactory. Rotate in one direction to avoid unwrapping the emery cloth.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brian mitchell wrote:
The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

wrote:
You don't say what length the tubes are

Finally someone asks the right question :-)

2" long easy, 20' long different story.

No longer than 12", but the diameter may present more difficulty: 1" -
2" OD, so I think the flapwheels are out. Either the flexible
shaft/Dremel or die grinder bits (once I've found out what a die
grinder is) sound most feasible but I'm really intrigued by the
electrolytic idea. What woud be used as the electrolyte and what sort
of voltages?

Thanks to all for the replies.

You need what I use for polishing the ports in cylinder heads after the bulk
of the metal has been removed with burrs. A split stick with emery cloth
wrapped round it. My equipment has 6mm collets so I use a length of 6mm mild
steel or silver steel with a hacksaw slot about 3/4" deep in one end. Tuck
the end of the emery cloth in the slot and then wrap round to the diameter
you want and tear off. If you're using a drill then you could go bigger on
the rod which would also mean you can make it longer without risking it
bending under load. 6mm rod is ok up to about 6" long so 1/2" bar would be
ok at 12". You want 80 grit cloth as a minimum or even coarser depending on
how good a finish you need and how fast you want to get the rust out.

The advantage over flapwheels is you can create any diameter you need
although flapwheels remove material faster.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:58:51 GMT, brian mitchell
wrote:

Either the flexible
shaft/Dremel or die grinder bits (once I've found out what a die grinder
is) sound most feasible but I'm really intrigued by the electrolytic
idea. What woud be used as the electrolyte and what sort of voltages?

12VDC tends to be used as it is convenient - with a narrow item and
short distance between electrodes a lower voltage will work. You want
a current of about 1 to 5 Amps. The electrolyte is Sodium Carbonate
(Washing Soda) cheap, easily obtainable and safe.

The whole process is very simple and pretty fail safe - if you leave
it running for too long you don't erode the work piece at all.

Some pictures of some bits I did at

http://www.remap-internet.org.uk/remapedia/tiki-index.php?page=Electrolytic%20De-Rusting&structure=Useful%20Documents

Plenty of other web references, it is a popular method as it is
non-destructive as far as the base metal is concerned. It removes
rust but not metal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 21:16, brian mitchell wrote:
I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool.

I doubt anything rotating will do it, as you'll have a problem with
tube length.

One of the best ways (commercial cleaning of water tube boilers,
including curved tubes) is to fire "bullet brushes" through by
compressed air. These are short cylindrical wire brushes with a rubber
seal disc at one end. You use a _linear_ movement to scrape the tube.
For smaller scale stuff, a similar brush on a rod or wire can do as
well. Shotgun cleaning brushes are phosphor bronze and you can get
them in a range of diameters if you find somewhere catering to black
powder muzzleloaders, not just shotguns.

Electrolysis is wonderful if you're dealing with rust and similar
scaly deposits that will respond to it (just Google - electrolytic de-
rusting, try rec.woodworking too). For tubes and inside tanks, you
might not even need an outside container tank, just fill the insides
of the workpiece tank. You can make electrodes for the inside from
lengths of chain or stainless steel wire rope, often placing them
inside a perforated plastic pipe or spiral to stop things shorting out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

gun cleaning kit?
The one I have is for .22 but they make them for larger bores. You
don't say what dia or length. If it's big then a rotary wire brush in
a flexi drive might work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember brian mitchell
saying something like:

I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

What kind of tubes, and what depth?
I came across a very usefull boiler tube cleaning long wire brush the
other day - basically, it was just a pair of twisted rods and trapped
between them were the wire bristles down on the bottom six inches or so,
in fact it was just a metal version of a test tube cleaner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:57:29 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember brian mitchell
saying something like:

I need to do as the subject heading says but can't find an appropriate
tool. I used to have a small (about 1" dia) conical grinding thing to go
in a drill chuck, and another such would do the job, but there aren't
any in the Screwfix catalogue and I don't know what to call them for a
Google search. Does anyone know?

But there may be a better tool that I don't know about, one that
wouldn't be so depth-limited, so any suggestions gratefully received.

What kind of tubes, and what depth?
I came across a very usefull boiler tube cleaning long wire brush the
other day - basically, it was just a pair of twisted rods and trapped
between them were the wire bristles down on the bottom six inches or so,
in fact it was just a metal version of a test tube cleaner.

Like 10525 at www.bes.co.uk ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Like 10525 at
www.bes.co.uk ?

Can't get it to show a pic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:51:44 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Like 10525 at
www.bes.co.uk ?

Can't get it to show a pic.

That site is a pain for quoting links ....you need to right click then
Properties and copy and paste .
Try this ( scroll down until you see it)
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/214.asp
or in the SEARCH box enter
flue brush set
and scroll down until you see it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

That site is a pain for quoting links ....you need to right click then
Properties and copy and paste .
Try this ( scroll down until you see it)
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/214.asp

That's the sort of thing - I must get a set of them asap.

De-burring inside tubes with nylon brushes Dave99 Metalworking 12 April 16th 08 08:17 AM
Radiant tubes in a concrete/mud slab vs mounting the tubes under the sub floor. [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 07 06:37 AM
Fire Escape Rusting abd08 UK diy 25 May 10th 06 11:12 PM
rusting Orange Electronics Repair 6 December 19th 03 04:50 PM
rusting Orange Electronics Repair 4 December 10th 03 06:35 PM