Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default De-burring inside tubes with nylon brushes

I have to de-burr 3/4" aluminum square tubes that have literally
hundreds of holes. Even using Cogsdill bits takes a long time. I was
searching around and found some info on using nylon abrasive tools. I
noticed a few offered nylon abrasive tube brushes as "de-burring"
tools. I'm wondering if there's a way I could run one of those on a
long extension through the tubes. Has anybody ever tried these for
that? I actually started thinking about it while I was watching that
"How It's Made" show, and they were showing how these guys put a
brushed surface on stainless sinks. It looked like they were using
some sort of Nylon abrasive covered drum that spun while partially
submerged, and then the assembly line would run the sides of the sink
around the drum. I was thinking maybe I could also use something like
that to finish the outside of the tubes as well, since we use a
brushed surface on them now... but it's done by hand.

Thanks,

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave99" wrote in message
[...]

What is the volume and speed you need? (How many and how fast?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave99 wrote:
[...]

Orbitool has the best tool in the world for this exact situation. They were
designed for you problem and they are cheap and very effective.

http://www.jwdone.com/orbitool.html

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow, it's a shame this list is really getting spammed these days.
Thanks John, that's an interesting tool. I'm not sure if it would work
at the lengths we're using... usually 4' or longer sections. Tom, we
do about 100 pieces per run, most of which are 4-4 1/2" feet long,
with an average quantity of 80 #27 and F size holes in each piece.
Right now we use a combination of Cogsdill fork bit and a hand tool,
which is murder. Anything faster than that would be an improvement.
That's why I was thinking that maybe there was a nylon abrasive brush
that could just be spun down the inside of the tube. It doesn't have
to be perfect on the inside, just basic de-burr.

Thanks,

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave99 wrote:

Wow, it's a shame this list is really getting spammed these days.
Thanks John, that's an interesting tool. I'm not sure if it would work
at the lengths we're using... usually 4' or longer sections. Tom, we
do about 100 pieces per run, most of which are 4-4 1/2" feet long,
with an average quantity of 80 #27 and F size holes in each piece.
Right now we use a combination of Cogsdill fork bit and a hand tool,
which is murder. Anything faster than that would be an improvement.
That's why I was thinking that maybe there was a nylon abrasive brush
that could just be spun down the inside of the tube. It doesn't have
to be perfect on the inside, just basic de-burr.\

I see very little spam, but then I don't use the lousy Google web
portal. News Proxy and about 50 lines of code clean up almost
everything, on every newsgroup I read. I have a handful of people
whitelisted for Google Groups, and the rest get dropped by the proxy
server. When you add Cliff, Hawkie, TMF, and drop messages cross posted
to alt.usenet.kooks there isn't a lot of traffic on this group. I think
the next group of filters will be anything to do with politics. That
should leave about 20 messages a day.

If you want to get away from spam, find a real news NTTP server.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave99 wrote:
Wow, it's a shame this list is really getting spammed these days.
Thanks John, that's an interesting tool. I'm not sure if it would work
at the lengths we're using... usually 4' or longer sections.

Do it from the outside on the machine. Orbitools can be used by hand of in
the spindle.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How's about using an abrasive flap wheel on a shaft extension? Not sure if
they are made small enough for you, but looks like one would do the job. It
would be run down the inside length of the tube. I have often honed a tube
or bore by slitting a 1/4" rod at one end for an 1-1/2" length on the
bandsaw, and using emery cloth wrapped with abrasive side out for a long
reach hone. Only start it up when it's engaged in the hole. Otherwise it
makes a pretty buzzing sound, and the rod could whip. A drill or die grinder
will drive it.

RJ

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
t...
Dave99 wrote:
Wow, it's a shame this list is really getting spammed these days.
Thanks John, that's an interesting tool. I'm not sure if it would work
at the lengths we're using... usually 4' or longer sections.

Do it from the outside on the machine. Orbitools can be used by hand of in
the spindle.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Backlash wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
message t...
Dave99 wrote:
Wow, it's a shame this list is really getting spammed these days.
Thanks John, that's an interesting tool. I'm not sure if it would
work at the lengths we're using... usually 4' or longer sections.

Do it from the outside on the machine. Orbitools can be used by hand
of in the spindle.

How's about using an abrasive flap wheel on a shaft extension? Not
sure if they are made small enough for you, but looks like one would
do the job. It would be run down the inside length of the tube. I
have often honed a tube or bore by slitting a 1/4" rod at one end for
an 1-1/2" length on the bandsaw, and using emery cloth wrapped with
abrasive side out for a long reach hone. Only start it up when it's
engaged in the hole. Otherwise it makes a pretty buzzing sound, and
the rod could whip. A drill or die grinder will drive it.

RJ

It just seems to me that it would be preferable to extent a tool through the
material thickness rather than into the part through it's length.
Maybe I didn't understand what needed to be accomplished.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--You might want to consider abrasive slurry deburring, wherein a
viscous abrasive goo is pumped thru the length of the part. Can't name any
company that offers the service but they're out there. Saw it at WESTEC a
couple of times; very nice results..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Don't order chardonnay
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at a pizza parlor...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12 Apr 2008 15:56:22 GMT, the renowned steamer
wrote:

--You might want to consider abrasive slurry deburring, wherein a
viscous abrasive goo is pumped thru the length of the part. Can't name any
company that offers the service but they're out there. Saw it at WESTEC a
couple of times; very nice results..

Used in moldmaking.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

--You might want to consider abrasive slurry deburring, wherein a
viscous abrasive goo is pumped thru the length of the part. Can't name any
company that offers the service but they're out there. Saw it at WESTEC a
couple of times; very nice results..

Used in moldmaking.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's Extrude-Hone's original product. They're the ones that are doing the
metal-powder rapid prototyping we discussed in another thread. They're
called ExOne now, but I don't know if they're still the makers of the
extrusion deburring goo.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave99" wrote in message
Wow, it's a shame this list is really getting spammed these days.
Thanks John, that's an interesting tool. I'm not sure if it would work
at the lengths we're using... usually 4' or longer sections. Tom, we
do about 100 pieces per run, most of which are 4-4 1/2" feet long,
with an average quantity of 80 #27 and F size holes in each piece.
Right now we use a combination of Cogsdill fork bit and a hand tool,
which is murder. Anything faster than that would be an improvement.
That's why I was thinking that maybe there was a nylon abrasive brush
that could just be spun down the inside of the tube. It doesn't have
to be perfect on the inside, just basic de-burr.

Thanks,

Dave

It there any reason not to use wire? In any case, the way to do the inside is
with a "Pig" of square cut brushes ganged on a shaft and pushed through or back
and forth. Or a twisted-in-wire square cut tube brush. Neither will be cheap
but they will reduce the job to almost nothing. To spin a brush down the
length, you will need a series of support bearings fed in with the brush to keep
the shaft centered. Send me a print and call me toll-free 888-411-3265 and
we'll get you some solutions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a few nylon abrasive spiral tube
brushes that were the size of the OD for the tube sizes. That seems to
make them just about the right size for inside the tube. Attached to a
drill they work pretty well. I just need to find some sort of
extension to make them long enough. But it looks to be a lot faster
than having to do each hole individually. I wanted to use nylon
because this is aluminum tube that's going outdoors, and I didn't want
any steel shards coming off.

Radiant tubes in a concrete/mud slab vs mounting the tubes under the sub floor. [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 07 06:37 AM
Lapping nylon [email protected] Metalworking 14 May 9th 06 04:02 AM
What kind of grease for nylon/nylon and nylon/metal lubrication? Peter UK diy 7 July 7th 05 02:59 PM
Nylon Carpets andrewpreece UK diy 13 April 29th 05 09:45 PM
Can I dye nylon? Rich UK diy 6 February 8th 05 06:36 PM