Rich

Default Can I dye nylon?

I have a tent, made of white nylon. I'd like it to be green. Can I dye
it with Dylon or suchlike? I'm not sure if dye will take to nylon...

Thanks

Rich
Mike

"Rich" wrote in message
I have a tent, made of white nylon. I'd like it to be green. Can I dye
it with Dylon or suchlike? I'm not sure if dye will take to nylon...

Afraid not

Rich

On 2 Feb 2005 23:13:08 GMT, Rod Hewitt
wrote:

(Rich) wrote in
:

I have a tent, made of white nylon. I'd like it to be green. Can I dye
it with Dylon or suchlike? I'm not sure if dye will take to nylon...

Apparently (my partner knows her stuff on this) you can only get
pastel/pale colours (at best) by dying nylon at home. Commercially, very
special dyes and processes are used for this - no way achievable DIY.

Thanks for the replies. My other option would be to spray it with
something.

The kind of ink used in marker pens seems to be capapble of writing
indelibly on nylon, so perhaps a similar ink or liquid is available in
a bottle?

Thanks

Rich
Mike

"Rich" wrote in message
On 2 Feb 2005 23:13:08 GMT, Rod Hewitt
wrote:

(Rich) wrote in
:

I have a tent, made of white nylon. I'd like it to be green. Can I dye
it with Dylon or suchlike? I'm not sure if dye will take to nylon...

Apparently (my partner knows her stuff on this) you can only get
pastel/pale colours (at best) by dying nylon at home. Commercially, very
special dyes and processes are used for this - no way achievable DIY.

Thanks for the replies. My other option would be to spray it with
something.

The kind of ink used in marker pens seems to be capapble of writing
indelibly on nylon, so perhaps a similar ink or liquid is available in
a bottle?

It might be 'indelible' but it will creep out of nylon when wet. The dye is
normally added when the fibres are drawn and so bonded it. There are
polymer paints which would work but the tent would get heavier and not
breathe as well.

Jeff

"Rich" wrote in message
I have a tent, made of white nylon. I'd like it to be green. Can I dye
it with Dylon or suchlike? I'm not sure if dye will take to nylon...

Thanks

Rich

Heres your first port of call :-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=nylon+dye&meta=

looks like you may be successful

Regards Jeff

West Midlands, UK.

You can dye Nylon, just like any other fabric, but I should add a bit more
salt in the dying process as Nylon tend to repel more than other fabrics,
also add about 3 to 6 table spoons of Bicarbonated soda, this will help to
make it resistant more to fire, you can apply bicarbonated sode to any
fabric to help make it more restant to fire, it an old remedy uesed years
ago, back in 1950's, it still works.
I use to added it to my overalls for work, especially on maintebnance where
you could come into contact with fire.

Syd
Birmingham, UK.
========================
I can only receive Plain Text, not HTML, I like it that way.
I don't buy any items outside the UK.
I'm not interested in any state lotteries from any country,
if I've won just send the money, other wise "Go to hell"
=============================
If your asking me to phone you, the phone does not
allow 07??, 08??, & 09?? numbers to be dialed, THANK YOU !
===========================
If your a friend, you will respect me as a friend.
===========================
I do not want a Business partnership, with anyone offering
??000000 million dollars $, especially from Africa or Holland,
or connected to: . Not interested in any Business Partnership
from any country, offering 1000 plus $ etc;
And I do not wish to be directed to your Web-Page,
to see you on Web-Camera, as most are dead ends.
I GET MY MEDICINES FREE.....!.....Thanks
"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..