Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opinions sought on drill/driver

Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but seem to
remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and labour warranty
and a free service every year (note that I don't know if that's available
everywhere or is just a special offer local to the place he bought his
from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but seem to
remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and labour warranty
and a free service every year (note that I don't know if that's available
everywhere or is just a special offer local to the place he bought his
from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Cheers

What's your planned use for either/or tool?

The Makita obviously serves as a drill/driver, and I had a quick play
with one whilst waiting for a trade-counter screwfix order (they had one
on display) - looks like a good buy for the money, felt well built for
normal home-workshop use.

The AEG is an unknown to me - it looks like a lighter product, with a
smaller chuck and battery. For light use it may be more convenient,
easier to handle and lighter, but my guess is that it is, overall, a
less capable tool. If you want a small drill/driver and don't expect any
heavy use for it then the AEG may be a good buy.

But, at the same price point, I'd find it hard to buy the AEG over the
Makita.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Use will be just general DIY work around the home and I tend to agree with
you Mike. We have a Screwfix trade counter a couple of miles away from home
so I might just nip in there tomorrow and get the Makita.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but seem to
remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and labour warranty
and a free service every year (note that I don't know if that's available
everywhere or is just a special offer local to the place he bought his
from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Cheers

Others have much more experience than I. But the AEG is primarily for
screwdriving - it has a maximum speed of 575rpm - which really is too
slow for most drilling and other purposes.

I don't think I have heard of an annual service for a drill. (At least
not in recent decades.)

The only thing I can see against the Makita is that it has NiCad cells.
Many here will say they work well - but I am certainly hoping that by
the time I need a replacement, it will be LiIon (or whatever is the flavour.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

My existing drill/driver has NiCad batteries and a single battery pack has
given me good service for more than 6 years (IIRC). I've no qualms on that
front so I'm going to get the Makita at Screwfix tomorrow )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I've no qualms on that
front so I'm going to get the Makita at Screwfix tomorrow )

Sounds a good move. I'd be buying one if I didn't have a nearly-new
Ryobi 18V. The Makita feels much better made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but
seem to remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and
labour warranty and a free service every year (note that I don't know
if that's available everywhere or is just a special offer local to
the place he bought his from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Depends what you want it for dunnit?

An 18v Mak is going to see off any 12v machine, 42 Nm instead of 18Nm. The
Mak is a combi, the AEG isn't. The AEG has Li-Ion batts, the Mak has Ni-Cd.

These are about as different as you could get. Chalk & cheese.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but seem to
remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and labour warranty
and a free service every year (note that I don't know if that's available
everywhere or is just a special offer local to the place he bought his
from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Two quite different propositions. The AEG (IIRC a brand owned by TTI
along with Ryobi and Milwaukee). They are quite well respected for their
batter technology in general. I would expect it to be a good quality
small light weight machine. OK for screw driving and the occasional bit
of drilling. Small enough to get into tight corners etc. The max torque
is fairly limited, and the speed pretty low.

The mak is a more general purpose machine - much bigger and heavier, has
a hammer action so can drill masonry etc, and has a larger capacity
chuck. At the money it looks like much better value for an all rounder.
The only thing that would sway toward the AEG would be if you already
had a decent drill driver and were looking for a small light machine for
a specific purpose (e.g. flatpack assembly). Note the mak will come with
a charger that will also do NiMh cells - so when you replace the batts
you could go for much higher capacity ones. It won't do LiIon though
since that is a different charging technology and battery fitting etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but seem
to remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and labour
warranty and a free service every year (note that I don't know if that's
available everywhere or is just a special offer local to the place he
bought his from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Not sure on which type but Transtools are selling the AEG for £20 less than
your price.
http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...river-12v.html

I only know as I recently bought a Makita driver from them and was
interested when I saw the price of this. I don't have anything to do with
Transtools, just a satisfied customer.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:43:35 -0000, "John" wrote:

Talking to a mate in the pub last night and he reckoned that these
drill/drivers are excellent. Bit worse for wear when I got home but seem to
remember him saying that it comes with a lifetime parts and labour warranty
and a free service every year (note that I don't know if that's available
everywhere or is just a special offer local to the place he bought his
from - which is not from the place linked to).

Anyway, what do the panel think?

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=4002395196074

or would this be preferable

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68747/...rill?ts=19188#

Cheers

I bought the Makita £99.99 kit from Screwfix about a year ago, and
have been well pleased with it for general diy and handyman work.
Although the batteries are a bit low in capacity, with 3 of them
supplied in the kit I've never been caught out. Sometimes struggles a
bit in hard bricks or concrete, but then I just drill a 4mm pilot then
open it out to whatever.

Highly recommended.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
[...]