Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rubber Buffer

My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
andy wrote:
My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

Mount a standard door buffer on a block of wood such that the buffer works
on the gate frame.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andy wrote:
My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

Old tractor tyre and hacksaw?

Loo plunger filled wit silicone?

Cast our own in mould from silicone rubber?

Glue erasers together?

Take a scrap cars suspension apart? seems that tree exhaust straps
evostuk together would do the job.

Use donut from close coupled loo?

Rubber can be sawn and rasped and sanded you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.
I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.
I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.
Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.
Any ideas where to get same or similar.

Pipe lagging?

(The thread title reminds of something my father told me about - he
was an architect for the NZ Government, and once got a spec for a
building which included the line "all toilet seats will be equipped
with rubber buggers").

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andy wrote:
My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

How's about something like this (second item):

http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/b...8_1100090.html

Peter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PJK wrote:
andy wrote:
My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

How's about something like this (second item):

http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/b...8_1100090.html

Peter.

Or a range available he

http://www.polymax.co.uk/Catalogue%2...%20Fenders.htm

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

Try a yacht chandlers, they stock loads of stuff like that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andy" wrote in message

My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

I got exactly what you would need..........Rubbers off of brick grabs on
builders merchants lorry cranes.
Up to 1m long if you want.
Cut with a stanley knife and screw to wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andy wrote in
:

My neighbour has a metal gate hinged on my external wall. When the
gate is opened it "bangs" on to my wall - and reverberates through my
room.

I want to fasten a rubber buffer/stopper to the wall at the point
where the opening gate strikes it. The problem is that the "strike
point" varies as the contact with the wall is made by a sliding latch
on the gate.

I have tried a rubber door stopper and it is perfect (if the latch
hits it) - except that it is too small.

Ideally I want a piece of rubber 1x1x3 inches.

Any ideas where to get same or similar.

Can the gate be swung the other way? I'd hate to have a gate that keeps
banging against the house wall, no matter what you try and fix between
them. If the gate hinges were on the other side, the gate would swing away
from your wall, and only the latch boss would be fixed to your house wall
side.

If that's to difficult, could you use a piece of foam type pipe insulation
wrapped around the part of the gate that hits the wall. Or something else
fixed to the gate, instead of the wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:03:49 +0000, PJK wrote:

snip

http://www.polymax.co.uk/Catalogue%2...%20Fenders.htm

Peter

Excellent - you are a star.

Also - thanks to others for all the other suggestions and good ideas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andy wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:03:49 +0000, PJK wrote:

snip

http://www.polymax.co.uk/Catalogue%2...%20Fenders.htm

Peter

Excellent - you are a star.

Also - thanks to others for all the other suggestions and good ideas

The Polymax solid rubber fenders are made of fairly hard rubber and
will still transmit a high proportion of the shock/noise from the
impact of the gate. If choosing from this range, I would recommend
the "D" Type rubber buffer which has more "give" in it because of the
hollow cent

http://tinyurl.com/5qttdn
or
http://www.polymax.co.uk/Catalogue%2...e%20bumper.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Polymax solid rubber fenders are made of fairly hard rubber and
will still transmit a high proportion of the shock/noise from the
impact of the gate. If choosing from this range, I would recommend
the "D" Type rubber buffer which has more "give" in it because of the
hollow cent

i.e. it's functionally equivalent to a few inches of scrap pipe lagging?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

The Polymax solid rubber fenders are made of fairly hard rubber and
will still transmit a high proportion of the shock/noise from the
impact of the gate. If choosing from this range, I would recommend
the "D" Type rubber buffer which has more "give" in it because of the
hollow cent

i.e. it's functionally equivalent to a few inches of scrap pipe lagging?

No, they are not remotely similar in any respect, except that to a
very casual observer, they might just bear a slight resemblance on
account of their rounded shapes.

Nice try. ;-)

Was: Shaping rubber and rubber balls: Update T i m UK diy 0 August 24th 08 04:36 PM
Rubber idler wheel rubber restoration Jeff Liebermann Electronics Repair 27 January 15th 08 05:19 AM
tire buffer? Grant Erwin Metalworking 3 December 1st 07 07:29 PM
Is HF buffer any good Alex Metalworking 11 January 20th 06 06:40 PM