Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tire buffer?

A guy is parking his 1-ton flatbed dump truck at my house for a bit while he
gets his affairs in order. He gave me a "bunch of junk" lying around in the
cab & underbody boxes. In there was an old I-R air tool, completely frozen.
I took it to the repair shop today (late Friday afternoon) and the whole
place stopped while the old guys there came over and figured out what it was.
It's a Model 330 low speed tire buffer. It's got a body like a straight die
grinder, but it has planetary gears on the output so the output shaft only
goes at 2500 rpm. It has a very weird chuck - a quickchange 7/16" hex chuck.

One of the guys did me a favor and monkeyed with it until it came loose and
so now it runs again. It turns out that the chuck threads onto the spindle,
and that the spindle threads are 3/8-24 which is a standard size. I have
keyed drill chucks that size, so I put one on.

I tried searching online for tire buffer tooling but found very little
indeed. Do any of you know anything about 7/16" hex quickchange tooling?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:37:10 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

It's a Model 330 low speed tire buffer. It's got a body like a straight die
grinder, but it has planetary gears on the output so the output shaft only
goes at 2500 rpm.

Sounds a lot like this...
http://www.aaabrasives.com/shoponlin...iCurrentPage=1

I spent a lot of time buffing out welds on SS tubing with a
Dynastraight.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

No, but I probably destroyed an appreciable amount
of my hearing with one of those things in my youth.
We used them to rough up the insides of logging
truck tires before gluing in a boot. That was in
Cle Elum, BTW.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/pls/m...rt_id=sokv6540

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/pls/m...rt_id=sokv6540

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/pls/m...rt_id=sokv6540

--Andy Asberry--

Buffer for cleaning showers? TC Home Repair 12 January 15th 21 06:47 PM
Rand Bench Buffer RBW Metalworking 1 July 24th 07 05:56 PM
Is HF buffer any good Alex Metalworking 11 January 20th 06 06:40 PM
exaxtly what is a buffer screen? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 17th 05 02:23 AM
PSA: HF's 3/4 HP buffer on sale for $50 rashid111 Metalworking 2 October 15th 05 06:23 PM