Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Bank charge, is this reasonable?

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:35:51 -0000, Simon Finnigan wrote:

I`ve known other people do this, but it involves work listing the
charges you want refunding. Keeping hold of the voerdraft means I`ll
just go overdrawn and not pay any fees, only interest.

What is the difference between a fee and interest. The latter is just a
fee for them loaning you money. I'd get the offending company to pay the
interest as well as any fees.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:35:51 -0000, Simon Finnigan wrote:

I`ve known other people do this, but it involves work listing the
charges you want refunding. Keeping hold of the voerdraft means I`ll
just go overdrawn and not pay any fees, only interest.

What is the difference between a fee and interest. The latter is just a
fee for them loaning you money. I'd get the offending company to pay the
interest as well as any fees.

What does the interest work out to be for a few hundred quid for a day or
two? Hardly worth the effort of chasing. A series of £35 charges is well
worth chasing up though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2008 19:49 David in Normandy wrote:

I had a similar problem with the Halifax, going accidentally overdrawn
by a couple of pounds for a few days and they hit me with outrageous
costs and charges.

Yorkshire Bank charged me £20 for going overdrawn though an error of
their making. I went into the branch, asked for the Manager, and told
her it was their mistake and, as they thought £20 for such an error was
reasonable, then I was charging them the same.

Came away with the charge cancelled and a £20 credit on the account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Simon Finnigan" contains these words:

You did better than I did. Had a disagreement with Halifax over a visa
card. I was due a refund because an item never turned up, and the Halifax
point blank refused to give me the refund, said I HAD to take it up
with the
supplier, who was ignoring me. When I finally got it sorted with the
supplier, after a very long time, I complained as high up the Halifax chain
as I could, and got told that basically they didn`t care. I explained that
I spent £40k per year on the credit card, and I was taking it
elsewhere, and
they soon tried to apologise.

And no that isn`t a typo, I do regularly spend that kind of money on a
credit card - lots of friends ad relatives who are too scared of the
internet to order online, so I do it for them :-)

I did well out of the intervention of the Financial Services Ombudsman.

About five months after the event, I discovered that there had been a
couple of fraudulent transactions on my Shell Visa Card. Someone in
Bedford had been supplied with a bicycle by a Southampton company (£300)
and there had been a London congestion charge paid. Technically I was
outwith the time limit for challenging a charge. The bicycle supplier
had the "name" and address of the individual who had been supplied with
the bicycle (without any check with me, as to whether it was genuine)
but Bedford's finest porkers weren't in the least interested and told me
to get lost. Citigroup's many minions in India told me much the same
over a period of months. Shell were no help. However -- to my surprise
-- The FSO not only took up the case and got the whole amount refunded
together with a £50 goodwill gesture. Full marks to the FSO! Annual
spend on that card is about £15000, which includes a vast amount of
work-related expenses and expenditure which get refunded to me.