Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Bank charge, is this reasonable?

I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same
bank, which I have been with for 30 years.

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another
savings account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an
overdraft facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque
drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that account
in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented due to a
small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p short of the
10K and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of meeting the cheque
of 10K for just two days.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same
bank, which I have been with for 30 years.

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another savings
account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an overdraft
facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque
drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that account
in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented due to a
small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p short of the 10K
and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of meeting the cheque of
10K for just two days.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

If you give them a ring I am 99% certain they will reconsider the charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Oh definitely, robbing bar stewards, the excess charges complaint that went
to the ombudsman is in abeyance at the moment so the banks are charging as
much as they can (cynical moi?)
I would, if possible go into the branch and argue it face to face, I think
they will probably refund "on this ocasion"
If you are with HBOS there will be another £35 for even thinking of going
over your agreed limit!
I had a fight last month over something very similar money paid in but not
shown, charges, and then the next day money shows as having been paid in on
time! when I queried the charges and showed them a print out of the online
statement, reply " online banking is as accurate ... as it can be!"
f+%^*ing banks, mind ewe they did refund.....

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.
Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them, and to charge £35 for a one-off mistake for the
princely sum of 40p is taking the pi$$.

I'd call their customer services, and if they argue the toss, i'd
start being awkward back - first point out that you'll be closing all
your accounts, and secondly that you'll be doing a Subject Access
Request which will cost you £10 (at most) but you want copies of all
data the bank hold on you - in either written, electronic, spoken
(voice recordings of calls) and security camera footage.

Just to make life more interesting, visit a few different branches and
give them the dates to make their life harder, but point out that you
know you were there on those dates.

THEN tell them you're going to the Ombudsman and small claims court to
fight the cost, and for them to bring a full breakdown of their costs
and charges they allegedly incurred for this 40p misdemeanor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

Either way, you haven't been taking the pi$$ and living off an
overdraft !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of
the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of
the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.

Reminds me of a conversation at my branch when I opened a savings account at
my bank last year:

"Can I set it up so money will automatically be transferred if my current
account goes below £x or looks like it's heading for the red?"
"No, not now it's all centrally computerised. We used to be able to, back
when we had branch managers in charge."

Yet they can program the computers to charge £35 and send you a letter for
going 40p in the red...

Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Crossley used his keyboard to write :
Ian wrote:
[...]

It didn't actually go in the red, there was just insufficient funds to
cover the cheque. All sorted out now...

I walked into the bank with attitude and ready to close my accounts.
The 'as a gesture of good will...' refunded the £35 charge - without
need to go so far as threatening to close my accounts. The Halifax BTW.

Thanks for the help.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of
the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.

Nor in a reasonably free market, does it excuse them taking excessive
advantage of it.

The choice is quite simple: if you end up with a bank that wants to play
by their sets of rules, that is their prerogative.

If you choose to withdraw your money on that account, and place it
somewhere else, that is yours.

Pointing this out to the bank, is sometimes helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural
Philosopher scribeth thus
Ian wrote:
[...]

Problem is with banks is that their all as bad as each other in their
own ways..

The good thing about mine is that its got a big car park there the only
reason we're still with 'em;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ian wrote:

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of
the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.

Nor in a reasonably free market, does it excuse them taking excessive
advantage of it.

Indeed. On top of that, IIRC the banks recently lost that part of their
court case with the OFT - and it was found that they were in violation
of the legislation governing unfair contract terms in consumer agreements.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of
the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.

Bollox. Its sheep like thinking like that which has allowed the banks to
rip people off for years.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 8:45*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Ian wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

--
Regards,
* * * *Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of
the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.

Bollox. *Its sheep like thinking like that which has allowed the banks to
rip people off for years.

No bank has ever ripped me off.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

Personally, I'd spread money wide and thin ATM

Forget the new £50k limit, no bank is really safe, and if you need money
in a hurry, it's no use waiting for a compensation scheme to kick in

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

Personally, I'd spread money wide and thin ATM

Forget the new £50k limit, no bank is really safe, and if you need money
in a hurry, it's no use waiting for a compensation scheme to kick in

Agree. I had some dosh in Kaupthing Edge. I got out a few months back, but
primarily because their online banking sucked rocks. I *did* think I was
safe with 35k, but looking at the state of it now, I was wrong (lucky
their online banking sucked rocks...). I think the savers (personal ones at
least) will be OK eventually, but even so, they can't actually get their
money *now*.

Interesting, maybe it's me, but I see the UK's "support" of Kaupthing's
savers as retribution for 30 years of cod war. That, and Iceland probably
has less nukes than us :-|

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
[...]

AIUI - Kaupthing have been taken over by ING who are honouring all
accounts and claim business as usual

'kin hope so as we have £60k with them between us

I must admit it was somewhat scary being in Bali watching first
Landesbanki and then Kaupthing fall over with all my account info left
in Bandung, hundreds of miles away

Interesting, maybe it's me, but I see the UK's "support" of Kaupthing's
savers as retribution for 30 years of cod war. That, and Iceland probably
has less nukes than us :-|

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Interesting, maybe it's me, but I see the UK's "support" of Kaupthing's
savers as retribution for 30 years of cod war.

That was only the most recent episode. World War 1 interrupted the first.

That, and Iceland probably
has less nukes than us :-|

Ours probably don't work.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

Personally, I'd spread money wide and thin ATM

Forget the new £50k limit, no bank is really safe, and if you need money
in a hurry, it's no use waiting for a compensation scheme to kick in

HSBC is about as close to safe as you will get. It has more money on deposit
than it has on loan, making it unique among the big banks on the UK High
Street.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry
Bloomfield scribeth thus
Colin Wilson brought next idea :
I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had £10k
deposited with them,

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

Is that wise these days;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 23/10/2008, tony sayer supposed :
Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.

Is that wise these days;?...

Probably not, hence the 10K cheque to move some out.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same
bank, which I have been with for 30 years.

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another
savings account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an
overdraft facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque
drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that
account in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented
due to a small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p
short of the 10K and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of
meeting the cheque of 10K for just two days.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for
refusing the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

The charge is doubtless within the T&Cs, and has been applied blindly by a
computer. Go and speak nicely to a real person, and grovel for your small
mistake, and they'll probably refund it.

At least it was - sort of - your fault. I've currently got a dispute with
Barclaycard who have charged me a £12 fee for a failed Direct Debit, which
was entirely *their* fault - they got the account number wrong in the Morgan
Stanley/Goldfish to Barclaycard transition!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It was your mistake. get it right next time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian
writes

[...]

You're really not getting into the spirit of the party, are you ?

Stuff the T&Cs, all banks had more or less the same punitive (and
illegal) T&Cs, there was no choice

I've fought every bank charge I've ever incurred (nearly always due to
my negligence) and I've always got the charge rescinded

If you win, it's your money
if you lose, it's their money

that's it, end of story

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Oct, 23:00, geoff wrote:
Stuff the T&Cs, all banks had more or less the same punitive (and
illegal) T&Cs, there was no choice

--
geoff

I don't get this "illegal" charge about the Ts & Cs for banks. Just
because they charge what they say they will in their detailed Ts & Cs,
when you make a cockup on your account, doesn't make it illegal.

Of course, in this day and age it is much less costly for a bank to
have to write to you about overdrawn accounts, so the charge of £35 or
whatever does not seem to equate to the "real" cost of having to deal
with your overdrawn account, but when did we suddenly expect that
goods and services should be related to the raw cost of the product?

Personally I think that UK banks do shoot themselves in the foot over
this sort of thing - it doesn't bring much revenue to them, just bad
publicity. On the other hand, we are one of the few nations that (if
we stay in credit) does get free banking (with crap current account
interest rates, admittedly).

It may be immoral (is "free banking" provided to the masses,
subsidised by high charges for those less careless with their
financial arrangements), and the fact that all banks appear to charge
similar amounts may allow for an argument about anti-competetive
practices, but as things stand at the moment the charges aren't
"illegal".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 22 Oct, 23:00, geoff wrote:

[...]

Gmail Broke the attribution

Quite a few banks were mumbling that free banking in the UK would have to
end even before the recent S**T hit the fan.
I wonder what charges they will dream-up to replace the shortfall, if they
can't overcharge people for borrowing money without consent.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
wrote in message
On 22 Oct, 23:00, geoff wrote:

Of course, in this day and age it is much less costly for a bank to
have to write to you about overdrawn accounts, so the charge of £35 or
whatever does not seem to equate to the "real" cost of having to deal
with your overdrawn account, but when did we suddenly expect that
goods and services should be related to the raw cost of the product?

The law expects that the 'real' cost should be charged. That being around
£3, not the £35 they charge. Thats why the banks are **** scared about the
FSA getting on their case.

Personally I think that UK banks do shoot themselves in the foot over
this sort of thing - it doesn't bring much revenue to them, just bad
publicity. On the other hand, we are one of the few nations that (if
we stay in credit) does get free banking (with crap current account
interest rates, admittedly).

It brings in enormous revenue. Don't forget that prior to the 'credit
crunch' these ******s were making profits in the hundreds of billions.

It may be immoral (is "free banking" provided to the masses,
subsidised by high charges for those less careless with their
financial arrangements), and the fact that all banks appear to charge
similar amounts may allow for an argument about anti-competetive
practices, but as things stand at the moment the charges aren't
"illegal".

Its a cartel if you look at it. However they try to disguise it all banks
charge the same.

Gmail Broke the attribution

Quite a few banks were mumbling that free banking in the UK would
have to end even before the recent S**T hit the fan.
I wonder what charges they will dream-up to replace the shortfall, if
they can't overcharge people for borrowing money without consent.

The problem is that they deliberately arrange things so that they can charge
excessive amounts. On a few occassions I've paid cash into a branch at
9:30 am the day before to ensure that the acount has enough funds for the
mortgage payment next day, only to find that it was between £3 and £14
short.

Their excuse was that payments out were done earlier than payments recieved.
On both occasions they got a bollocking & refunded the charges, but I wonder
how many people accept such crap.

There is a conspiricy rumour that the Mafia never bothered moving into the
UK because the banks, stock exchange & govmint had all the best scams sorted
already.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
wrote in message

Personally I think that UK banks do shoot themselves in the foot over
this sort of thing

The whole worlds banking system has just shot itself in the head.

Its less the £35 charge, and more the £100k loss, that bothers me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
[...]

Or change banks.
That would be THEIR mistake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same
bank, which I have been with for 30 years.

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another
savings account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an
overdraft facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque
drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that account
in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented due to a
small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p short of the
10K and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of meeting the cheque
of 10K for just two days.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

No - you should calmly inform them that if they don't withdraw the
charge, you will withdraw every penny

.... then fight the £35

.... then look for a better bank (FSVO, of course)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same
bank, which I have been with for 30 years.

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another savings
account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an overdraft
facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque
drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that account
in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented due to a
small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p short of the 10K
and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of meeting the cheque of
10K for just two days.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

Of course.

Happened to me. Io pened an account with no overdraft facility,
accidentally went overdrawn, and they whacked me a huge interest charge
BECAUSE I HAD NO FACILITY.

I went in to see my bank manager about something else and mentioned that
I was a bit peeved that if I had asked for a 16 grand limit, he would
have granted it, but because I didn't I got stung.

He reversed the charges in front of me and put a 5 grand facility on.

If they don't, close teh account. They are kinda desperate for
depositors money right now since they cant get it off LIBOR anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same
bank, which I have been with for 30 years.

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another
savings account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an
overdraft facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque
drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that account
in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented due to a
small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p short of the
10K and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of meeting the cheque
of 10K for just two days.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

Short answer, hell yes.

My experience;

I got charged £30 for a shortfall of less than a pound so I went to the
branch and asked for the manager who I asked to refund the charges, she
refused.

I explained to her I thought it was an unreasonable charge for a
shortfall of less than a pound.

She refused to comment.

I told her I'd still like the money back, regardless of what she
thought, she told me it was all my fault (it was) and I should have been
more careful (I should have been).

I asked her to close the account if she wasn't prepared to refund the
money at which point she accused me of blackmail.

I told her she could call it what she liked and pointed out that I could
see two other banks through the front window of her branch who'd gladly
take my custom.

After much humming and haa-ing and pointless complaints of how unusual
it was and it was all a goodwill gesture I got the amount credited and
closed the account a month later.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Oct, 21:20, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
[...]

Dear Harry
Emphatically YES!
but do not "fight" it - just say politely that you appreciate it was
your techical error but that given that it was a computer-generated
charge you would like a human being to apply commonsense to the matter
now and rescind the charge.
Ultimately, it is their decision - do they want your custom and
goodwill AND the deposit or do they wish to lose your custom

I am pi$$ed off with Barclays for a variety of reasons and will be
inviting them soon to choose between giving me two years' free
business and personal banking (value say £500) or lose my custom and 4
accounts with some many tens of thousands in them. It will be
interesting to see if the bureaucrats overcome their instincts and
understand a business necessity!
Good luck
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

Yup, phone em and ask for it back - say you thought it was excessive
given the circumstance - especially given the balance you usually maintain.

I would be very surprised if they did not give it back.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:05:48 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

Yup, phone em and ask for it back - say you thought it was excessive
given the circumstance - especially given the balance you usually maintain.

I would be very surprised if they did not give it back.

Phone or write. And threaten to leave if they don't refund it. And do
it if they don't. (or even if they do if you're feeling stroppy)

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I`d say yes it is reasonable - you agreed to it either when you opened the
account, or when the T&C where updated, so why would you think that it isn`t
reasonable?

I`d also say that you have the option of writing/phoneing/visiting your bank
to tell them that they either refund the charge, or you go elsewhere for
your banking needs. I`d be very surprised if they didn`t refund the charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Harry Bloomfield
saying something like:

A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another
savings account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an
overdraft facility on any account, I really don't need it.

I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for £35 for refusing
the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.

Should I be fighting this £35 charge?

Certainly. In fact, you should send me your money and I'll take care of
it for you. I'll give it exercise and let it out every day.