Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Comet

Just how do they get away with their returns policy?

About a month ago, our trusty old oven popped its clogs and I bought a
cheap Comet Proline model to help us through. The oven would not heat up
on first switch on, but I fiddled with the controls until it started to
heat up. I thought nothing of it at the start, but I had the same
experience late last week. I went back to Comet to complain and ask for
a replacement. They told me that it was their policy to send out an
engineer to look at it and condemn it if it was not repairable. At this
I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act and they blanked up and said that
their computer screen told them to send out an engineer. They also told
me to ring an 08705 number, so I got them to waste their time and money
on the call.

Engineer is coming out Thursday. If he condemns it, they can come out
and deliver the new one and take back the broken one.

But just how do they get away with this policy?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

snipped

Engineer is coming out Thursday. If he condemns it, they can come out
and deliver the new one and take back the broken one.

But just how do they get away with this policy?

Dave

Not sure what the problem is. If it's faulty you get a new replacement.

PC World outsourced their monitor maintenance but I got a replacement,
no questions asked. My only complaint was that they didn't explain the
situation well enough at the time and I initially felt I was being
fobbed off.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

They probably get away with it because it's both legal and reasonable.

I don't think the sale of goods act requires them to replace the item.

It requires the goods to be of 'merchentable quality', and permits a seller
the opportunity to rectify any problems with the item.

Seems fair enough to me.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC Currys will give you your money back if you report a fault with 1 month
of purchase.

I bought a Bosch hob which developed a fault with 1 month of purchase, the
supplier's solution was to send a man in a Bosch van to fix it, which he
did.

I had much more trouble with a Philips TV, which was taken away by a 3rd
party repair company and kept for about 1 month before they finally found
someone who knew how to adjust it. Next time I buy a TV I will try and find
out how any warranty repairs are likely to be done.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I forgot about that bit.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Ron Lowe wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

Had teh same **** from Dixons. DVD/tape player DOA.

Took it back and the held onto it saying it would be repaired. went back
2 weeks later, still not repaired. They said that provided it was done
in reasonable time it was OK.

Asked what reasonable time was and they said something like 60 days or
something. Went back on 61st day, and they said ooh er, its still here
we nivver sent it back, Demanded a new one.

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Dave wrote:
... They told me that it was their policy to send out an engineer to
look at it and condemn it if it was not repairable. But just how do
they get away with this policy?

Because they want to look at the item before sending out a replacement.
Not many places will send out a replacement before they've seen or had
the faulty one back. The few that do will usually want your credit card
details and charge you for the replacement going out, refunding for the
old one when it comes back.

If you'd bought it from a shop you could have taken it back to the shop
and said, "look! it's faulty" and they'd have had to deal with it
straight away.

Owain

You can reject goods that are not 'of merchantable quality' as long as
you do it quickly, say within a couple of weeks. You don't have to agree
to repairs etc. If you paid with credit card you can 'dispute' the
payment. Provided you have written evidence about the purchase and the
complaint the card company will claw back the payment until the dispute
is settled. Finally you can go to the County Court using the Small
Claims Procedure.

If in doubt have a chat with the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

HITS (anagram) I forgot that they are all the same group.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

Have a look at the article here for some basic information:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ts-part-basics

If there's problems with the 'wrap', use this link:
http://tinyurl.com/2vzbky

It may be of help - and from my experiences with Comet customer services,
you'll need all the help you can get to breach their 'brickwall' mentality
on defective goods and SoGA and they are experts at spouting bullsh*t to
baffle those that are a little timid or don't know their rights.

And there's a more 'offical' link for more (or the same info) he

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...page38311.html

Or http://tinyurl.com/5gxl38 if the above link causes problems.

Best of luck

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

No, no, no, no, no, noooooooooo,

Under the sale of goods act you can reject the item as not of
merchantable quality if it is faulty. The shop has no right to insist
on repairing the item and in fact once you have accepted a repair (as
I understand it that's once you have accepted the concept of a repair
rather than once you have accepted that a particular repair is good)
you waive your right to then reject the item. So if you want to
preserve your rights you absolutely must not allow them to attempt to
repair it.
I'm a little hazy on who gets to decide between money back and
replacement. I seem to remember it's the customer but I could be
wrong (never admit that on Usenet).

In my opinion it is not unreasonable of them to insist on examining
the item before accepting that it is faulty but I can see no reason
that should have to take place at your home. You could insist on
taking it to the shop for examination. Obviously they could insist on
having a particular person examine it rather than their shop droid and
I guess that in law that person could be their agent (ie. anyone they
appoint).
To be fair I think they see it as better for the customer as well as
them to have an expert examine it at the customer's home. Let's face
it you can't really expect the store to have staff who know anything
about what they sell can you?

So let them examine it. If they agree it's faulty then either get
your money back or get a replacement brand new item. If they claim
it's fine then things get interesting. Under no circumstances accept
a repair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

HITS (anagram) I forgot that they are all the same group.

Dave

I dont think they will survive the recession anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:02:41 +0100, Dave wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

HITS (anagram) I forgot that they are all the same group.

Dave

PCworld/Dixons/Currys are all the same group, DSG International plc. Comet
is different.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

HITS (anagram) I forgot that they are all the same group.

Dave

I dont think they will survive the recession anyway.

They've survived previous ones by selling tat, no problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Calvin writes
So let them examine it. If they agree it's faulty then either get
your money back or get a replacement brand new item. If they claim
it's fine then things get interesting. Under no circumstances accept
a repair.

Snipped a load of useful stuff but also remember, never ever buy
anything for cash, always use a credit card and pay the cash back in
immediately.

You then have a second avenue of attack.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gotde T Shirt wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:02:41 +0100, Dave wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

HITS (anagram) I forgot that they are all the same group.

Dave

PCworld/Dixons/Currys are all the same group, DSG International plc. Comet
is different.

A pox on all their houses!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

will never ever buy from PCworld/Dixons/comet ever again.

HITS (anagram) I forgot that they are all the same group.

Dave

I dont think they will survive the recession anyway.

The only positive effect of recessions is that they weed out the companies
who should never have been in business anyway. Those who survive have sound
business's.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ron Lowe
writes
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

In this case it might well be.

I don't think the sale of goods act requires them to replace the item.

Yes it does, in certain circumstances.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But just how do they get away with this policy?

They probably get away with it because it's both legal and reasonable.

In this case it might well be.

I don't think the sale of goods act requires them to replace the item.

Yes it does, in certain circumstances.

Indeed, I should have said "..does not necessarily require them to.."

It comes down to the test of 'Merchantable Quality'.
If you bought a new car, and the rear-view mirror fell off, you would not be
entitled to a replacement car. That would not fail the test of
merchentable quality. The dealer could quite rightly be able to make good
the problem.

OTOH, my brother's new Honda would flatten it's battery if left standing for
a week. After repeated attempts at repair, he did successfully reject the
vehicle as not of merchantable quality, and got a replacement. This did
require a solicitor's letter giving the dealer notice that the vehicle was
being rejected, and providing a timeframe for the problem to be rectified.
But since our solicitor is in-house this was easy and cheap to arrange!

In the case at hand, the issue may be a trivial loose connection or
somesuch.
It it not unreasonable for a vendor to wish to rectify the problem in the
first instance.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:06:27 -0700 (PDT), Calvin
wrote:

Ron Lowe wrote:

No, no, no, no, no, noooooooooo,

Under the sale of goods act you can reject the item as not of
merchantable quality if it is faulty.

There is no longer a test of "merchantable quality" in the Sale of
Goods Act and hasn't been for years. It is now "satisfactory
quality".

The shop has no right to insist on repairing the item

They do however have a right to inspect it to confirm the fault before
accepting your rejection.

and in fact once you have accepted a repair (as
I understand it that's once you have accepted the concept of a repair
rather than once you have accepted that a particular repair is good)
you waive your right to then reject the item.

No, you are wrong. To be safe you should say you are rejecting the
item but will give them a chance to repair it. Even if you don't,
accepting a repair simply stops the clock insofar as rejection is
concerned and increases your opportunity to reject the goods if the
repair is unsatisfactory. Usually the window of opportunity for
rejection is very small, rarely more than a few weeks, and ends when
you "accept" the item. For example continuing to use the oven after
reporting the fault would usually imply acceptance.

So if you want to preserve your rights you absolutely must not allow them to attempt to
repair it.

Rubbish. See Clegg v Olle Andersson [ 2003 ]

I'm a little hazy on who gets to decide between money back and
replacement. I seem to remember it's the customer but I could be
wrong (never admit that on Usenet).

It is usually the supplier as they are entitled to use the least cost
option so long as it does not involve unreasonable delay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The shop has no right to insist on repairing the item

It's not that simple.

[...]

You have to delve through lots of case law too which has established
more precise rules than are written into the Act. For new car sales,
via case law, there's a six month limit to reject and the retailer is
entitled to 3 goes at repairing a fault. You won't find that mentioned
in the Act though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

You have to delve through lots of case law too which has established
more precise rules than are written into the Act. For new car sales,
via case law, there's a six month limit to reject and the retailer is
entitled to 3 goes at repairing a fault. You won't find that mentioned
in the Act though.

Precisely, the devil is always in the fine print: In practice one simply
gives up shopping where the vendor is pushing the limits towards short
term profit and away from customer satisfaction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

I guess experience has taught them that many appliances are badly connected
or damaged by the installer. The fault could (for example - be a bad
connection in the consumer unit)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

I agree.

Comet's policy and response seem perfectly reasonable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

[...]

It has a 13 Amp plug on the end of the flex cable and all other aspects
of it work fine.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

[...]

I believe you - but I still see logic in Comet's policy. Some DIY
installations leave a lot to be desired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

John wrote:

"Unbeliever" wrote in message
.. .

Dave wrote:

[...]

So....

Every other aspect of the appliance works fine, but one.

This is not a diy installation. I buy a toaster and get hold of the 13
amp plug at the end of the wire and plug it in. What is the difference?

Dave, giving up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:15:47 +0100, Dave
wrote:

This is not a diy installation. I buy a toaster and get hold of the 13
amp plug at the end of the wire and plug it in. What is the difference?

The most common cause of "dead" ovens is the user moving the timer
delay control (which hardly any one uses) so the oven doesn't switch
on. I'm not suggesting that is the cause here but it may help explain
why the supplier wants to look at it first :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

We tend to buy all our domestic appliances from a local retailer
(Stellisons). excellent service and always keen to price match (even the
Internet).

In August we ordered a Liebherr Frost Free Fridge Freezer that was delivered
early Sept (our choice for delivery date, which was free and included a
Saturday delivery). Noticed after a while (3-4 weeks) that the drawers in
the Freezer were icing up and it seemed exceptionally cold in there (more
than -18c). Spoke to the shop who suggested we call for an engineer.
Engineer arrived and diagnosed a faulty 'board' that was causing the device
to thaw out too much and then freeze too much (no idea on the correct
terminology). The engineer ordered the parts, but suggested we contact the
shop again as to update them and advise that we were unhappy with the
product as it had been sold to us as very reliable. Did this and the shop
arranged a replacement Fridge Freezer (same make/model) to be delivered 2
weeks later (again on a Saturday).

Can see us getting the same type of service out of Currys or Comet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
The engineer ordered the parts, but suggested we contact the shop
again as to update them and advise that we were unhappy with the
product as it had been sold to us as very reliable. Did this and the
shop arranged a replacement Fridge Freezer (same make/model) to be
delivered 2 weeks later (again on a Saturday).

If one example of a 'said to be very reliable' model breaks down what's to
say the replacement will be any better?

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John wrote:
The engineer ordered the parts, but suggested we contact the shop
again as to update them and advise that we were unhappy with the
product as it had been sold to us as very reliable. Did this and the
shop arranged a replacement Fridge Freezer (same make/model) to be
delivered 2 weeks later (again on a Saturday).

If one example of a 'said to be very reliable' model breaks down what's to
say the replacement will be any better?

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

There is that - but sometimes everything/one has the potential to fail at
something. The point in question here is the service you get and not the
reliability of the product.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ron Lowe wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those corrections. I'd noticed the satisfactory/
merchantable change and wondered when that crept in, lazy use of
language on my part I'm afraid.

The changes surrounding allowing an attempt to repair not preventing
ultimate rejection had competely passed me by.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 2:24*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *John wrote:

*The engineer ordered the parts, but suggested we contact the shop
again as to update them and advise that we were unhappy with the
product as it had been sold to us as very reliable. Did this and the
shop arranged a replacement Fridge Freezer (same make/model) to be
delivered 2 weeks later (again on a Saturday).

If one example of a 'said to be very reliable' model breaks down what's to
say the replacement will be any better?

What's to say it won't be?

What if I but a brand said to be poor quality but get excellent
results? Does that mean the next one will be the same?

A sample of one is insufficient to draw any conclusion either way.

MBQ