Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Comet

"Dave" wrote in message
John wrote:

"Unbeliever" wrote in message

Dave wrote:

Just how do they get away with their returns policy?

About a month ago, our trusty old oven popped its clogs and I bought a
cheap Comet Proline model to help us through. The oven would not heat
up on first switch on, but I fiddled with the controls until it
started to heat up. I thought nothing of it at the start, but I had
the same experience late last week. I went back to Comet to complain
and ask for a replacement. They told me that it was their policy to
send out an engineer to look at it and condemn it if it was not
repairable. At this I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act and they
blanked up and said that their computer screen told them to send out
an engineer. They also told me to ring an 08705 number, so I got them
to waste their time and money on the call.

Engineer is coming out Thursday. If he condemns it, they can come out
and deliver the new one and take back the broken one.

But just how do they get away with this policy?

Dave

I guess experience has taught them that many appliances are badly
connected or damaged by the installer. The fault could (for example - be
a bad connection in the consumer unit)

It has a 13 Amp plug on the end of the flex cable and all other aspects of
it work fine.

Dave

I believe you - but I still see logic in Comet's policy. Some DIY
installations leave a lot to be desired.