Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar lighting (real not artistic) ;-)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:07:53 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

Or you could just buy a few of these
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223916

Yeah, that might even work if I had some translucent roofing panels on
this garage (and something I'm also considering). ;-)

Oh, I forget that most workshop/garages aren't translucent. My workshop roof
is entirely translucent.

As was my previous one and it had pros and cons:

Pros:
You needed less (if any) artificial light to be able to move around in
there during the day.

Cons:
I think any 'durable' translucent panel is more expensive than the
equiv corrugated cement fibre jobbies.

It was hotter in there in the summer.

I don't think it was fireproof (and that may have been a requirement
of the regs or summat).

It shines like a beacon at night . ;-)

I might be tempted to replace a couple of the panels (on one face of
the pitched roof) with decent translucent (3" pitch) panels though as
that would at least save the need for light down there during the day
(it's like a black hole in there atm).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 25, 11:33*am, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:38:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I was thinking 3 x 4.5V = 13.5V, not far off the float voltage of a
12V battery and as the solar panel isn't going to be dumping 5A in
there it may not pick up much above say 14V. I was thinking these
lights may well deal with that as-is and if not a series diode or two
might just take the edge off it?

way too high a string voltage,

Why?

and you've not taken account of the
wide range of lead acid voltage.

I thought I had?

Bu this has been explained already.

It has, and?

T i m

Will be interesting to see how you plan to run a 13.5v load off a
10-14v battery then. Maybe you're going to build a switched mode boost
regulator, but given your basic questions I doubt it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:54:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 25, 11:33*am, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:38:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I was thinking 3 x 4.5V = 13.5V, not far off the float voltage of a
12V battery and as the solar panel isn't going to be dumping 5A in
there it may not pick up much above say 14V. I was thinking these
lights may well deal with that as-is and if not a series diode or two
might just take the edge off it?

way too high a string voltage,

Why?

and you've not taken account of the
wide range of lead acid voltage.

I thought I had?

Bu this has been explained already.

It has, and?

T i m

Will be interesting to see how you plan to run a 13.5v load off a
10-14v battery then.

Ok, well I'll start helping you by asking you some questions.

Re the 3 x 1.5V primary cells and the lamp in general. Will:

1) they start off at exactly 1.5V each?
2) they remain at exactly 1.5V for their entire life?
3) the lamp explode when they run down?

Maybe you're going to build a switched mode boost
regulator, but given your basic questions I doubt it.

Now now, don't start turning into one of those nasty bitter people who
feel they are gods and must be listened to, or want to belittle anyone
who asks a silly question or doesn't 'get' a reply or point. It's a
*discussion* group about all things d-i-y (and other g) and if you
can't or don't want to help, just don't. In any case, that boost
regulator doesn't sound like it would be as energy efficient, cheap
or simple as my solution so why on earth would I?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I nearly bought a pack of 3 such lights in B&Q yesterday (3 for 6
.... quid and they looked good quality) but after selecting them I
later put them back as the 3 checkouts that were open had 50 people in
each queue. :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:45:45 +0000, T i m wrote:

p.s. I nearly bought a pack of 3 such lights in B&Q yesterday (3 for 6
... quid and they looked good quality) but after selecting them I
later put them back as the 3 checkouts that were open had 50 people in
each queue. :-(

Have you ever been in a B&Q where the correct number of checkouts were
open and the queues were short? No me neither.

B&Q could easily shut 95% of their checkouts and it would make bugger
all difference to the checkout time - B&Q managers must be from the
Sainsbury's school of ignore what your customer wants, **** them off
on every occasion, and make them clog up the aisles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:08:13 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:45:45 +0000, T i m wrote:

p.s. I nearly bought a pack of 3 such lights in B&Q yesterday (3 for 6
... quid and they looked good quality) but after selecting them I
later put them back as the 3 checkouts that were open had 50 people in
each queue. :-(

Have you ever been in a B&Q where the correct number of checkouts were
open and the queues were short? No me neither.

Only indirectly .. when the same 3 checkouts were open and there were
only 3 customers in at the time. ;-)

B&Q could easily shut 95% of their checkouts and it would make bugger
all difference to the checkout time - B&Q managers must be from the
Sainsbury's school of ignore what your customer wants, **** them off
on every occasion, and make them clog up the aisles.

It does seem so.

I did go back there on Monday and although (only) the same 3 checkouts
were open the queues were much much smaller. However and as is typical
for me, the guesstimates re chosen queue speed (based on the variety
of items in trolley, customers likelihood to **** about with credit
cards / loyalty cards and/or un-coded / priced items) was way out and
it took *ages* to get though. :-(

I've had one of those 12V fluro inspection lights on a 12V sealed
battery pretty well all day and it's still running now. Plenty of
light in the dark kitchen (enough to make a cuppa even) so 2 or 3 of
those spread along the length of the garage should do it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 25, 11:33*am, T i m wrote:
[...]

1. some do, some not.
2. no
3. no
4. you're still missing the point

Maybe you're going to build a switched mode boost
regulator, but given your basic questions I doubt it.

Now now, don't start turning into one of those nasty bitter people who
feel they are gods and must be listened to, or want to belittle anyone
who asks a silly question or doesn't 'get' a reply or point. *It's a
*discussion* group about all things d-i-y (and other g) and if you
can't or don't want to help, just don't.

and dont make stuff up. I'm trying to explain to you that theres a
problem. If you disagree, thats fine with me.

In any case, that boost
regulator doesn't sound like it would be as energy efficient, cheap
or simple as my solution so why on earth would I?

It would be more efficient and, more importantly, it'd work.

Cheers, *T i m *

p.s. I nearly bought a pack of 3 such lights in B&Q yesterday (3 for 6
... *quid and they looked good quality) but after selecting them I
later put them back as the 3 checkouts that were open had 50 people in
each queue. :-(

Decent ultrabrights are 20p plus per led, so youre not going to get
owt but tat at those prices for fixtures as well.

NT