Posted to alt.home.repair
KLE KLE is offline

Default set-up for rigid panel solar pool heater, solar blanket

We have bought a rigid plastic panel solar heating set-up for our
above ground pool. Because of the orientation of many tress, fencing,
and the pool itself within the property line, as well as distance of
the pool from the house, we are limited to one sunny corner of the
yard for placement of the 4'x20' unit. (Pool came with house, not
reponsible for non-ideal location!)

At this point, we are planning to have the solar heater laying flat on
the ground, next to the pool, the only location int h e back yard to
get sun much of the day. How exact do we have to be with its placement
when we start - will it be difficult to adjust its position once it's
in use (too heavy to move with water in it), or will we be able to
scootch it around a bit until we get the placement just right?

Should we put some kind of barrier down on the grass, or build some
kind of lumber frame or platform, instead of having it on the ground?
Part of the area was previously (unfortunately) my garden, the rest is
grass.

Also will be buying a solar blanket for the pool, which is 24' round
above ground. Any tips for a cheap way to manage daily placement and
removal of the cover without buying the $200 reel? Found some very
long PVC pipe in the shed, which I think was used in association with
previously used, now varmint-chewed solar blanket. I will likely be
managing the cover by myself most days.

Thanks for any helpful tips and advice. Rochester, NY area, if that
matters.

Karen
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal

KLE wrote:

We have bought a rigid plastic panel solar heating set-up for our
above ground pool...

At this point, we are planning to have the solar heater laying flat on
the ground, next to the pool, the only location int h e back yard to
get sun much of the day...

Is the pool itself in the sun?

Should we put some kind of barrier down on the grass, or build some
kind of lumber frame or platform, instead of having it on the ground?

No.

Also will be buying a solar blanket for the pool, which is 24' round
above ground...

Solarcovers.com has nice clear vs blue solar covers...

Any tips for a cheap way to manage daily placement and removal...

They also have interesting $30 60" diameter "sun rings" with 6 magnets
to keep them in a hexagonal kissing pattern (one circle surrounded by 6)
and make them stick and slide together so they can be removed by a person
standing in one position. They recommend 12 for a 24' round pool, which
would leave 48% of the water exposed.

You might make your own 6'x5.19'-tall sun rhomboids with 31 ft^2 of solar
cover and a bent PVC pipe and a 60 degree elbow and 4 magnets... 12 would
cover 83% of a 24' pool in a tight hex pattern, except for the perimeter,
which could have a 2'x12' greenhouse polyethylene film skirt attached to
the pool wall.

Or make a 24' greenhouse polyethylene film pillow with a perimeter PVC
pipe ring and a small tube running across the diameter inside and a float
with an opening at the top of the tube in the center. Deflate the pillow
so it sinks to the bottom for swimming, and reinflate it to float it.

... Rochester, NY area, if that matters.

With a dark bottom, 1080 Btu/ft^2 of unshaded sun might keep the pool
34.3+0.9x1080/24h = 74.8 on an average 34.3 March day and 51.1+0.9x840/24
= 82.6 in October. For more sun, you might add a reflective half-cylinder
above the north wall of the pool. For more insulation, you might inflate
the pillow with soap bubble foam at night.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 12:34*pm, KLE wrote:
[...]

I would prop it up so that captured heat is not lost to the contact
with the ground.
A solar blanket for the pool works well if always replaced for
evenings.
www.SolarPanel-Rental,com Mike