Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Solar lighting (real not artistic) ;-)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:41:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

p.s. I nearly bought a pack of 3 such lights in B&Q yesterday (3 for 6
... *quid and they looked good quality) but after selecting them I
later put them back as the 3 checkouts that were open had 50 people in
each queue. :-(

Decent ultrabrights are 20p plus per led, so youre not going to get
owt but tat at those prices for fixtures as well.

Is that right?

Have you any idea how much one ultra bright LED, a resistor, 3 x AAA's
and some bits of moulded plastic cost to have made in China? I do and
at ~£2/ light retail they are making plenty of profit so no reason why
they couldn't be 'reasonable' quality.

I've got one of said LED 'Pop up' lights running as a test. I was very
surprised just how much light a single LED could bring to a room and I
think I'm now going to use those as emergency lighting in the various
rooms here.

I think I'm going to stick with the fluro inspection lamp idea for the
workshop, not only because the light isn't as directional as the LED's
but because they already come in a handy workshop friendly package.

Cheers, T i m