Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Urgent Help - Taps

Hi
Further to my previous posts about noisy taps, it has been recommended I
change them from quarter turn levers to traditional screw/turn taps.

The taps I have now are like so - ceramic ones:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...utton= submit

Can I just buy these heads and replace ?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12204/...Basin-Contract

If so hwo hard a job is it and will it matter if the original head was
different or are they interchangable? On the original taps is the cermic bit
in the handle??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi
Further to my previous posts about noisy taps, it has been
recommended I change them from quarter turn levers to traditional
screw/turn taps.
The taps I have now are like so - ceramic ones:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...utton= submit

Can I just buy these heads and replace ?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12204/...Basin-Contract

If so hwo hard a job is it and will it matter if the original head was
different or are they interchangable? On the original taps is the
cermic bit in the handle??

The replacement heads are almost certainly for traditional taps e.g.
screw/turn. They are very simple to fit, but I'm certain they won't work -
the ceramic bit is in the body of the tap.

Its not hard to change taps, especially if you use flexible tap connectors.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

Tried changing taps once before and had a bit of bother with the washers -
where are the washers emant to go and what types do you use?

I need to do the bath and bathroom sink so I will prob just but a set I
guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"mo" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

Tried changing taps once before and had a bit of bother with the washers -
where are the washers emant to go and what types do you use?

I need to do the bath and bathroom sink so I will prob just but a set I
guess.

How do you connect these to the pipe?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27805/...15mm-x-x-300mm

I am guessing its a little more than just screwing it on

also does using a flexi hose affect the water in any way (i.e the pressure
etc) - also does it have to be tort / not lax/bent ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
"mo" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

Tried changing taps once before and had a bit of bother with the
washers - where are the washers emant to go and what types do you
use?

Depends on the tap, most cheaper ones have a single rubber washer which goes
between the tap & the basin/bath and a back nut which goes underneath the
basin/bath. Some have two washers & should include a diagram.

How do you connect these to the pipe?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27805/...15mm-x-x-300mm

I am guessing its a little more than just screwing it on

That particular one is a compression fitting so you need two spanners to do
it up. You can buy push fit connectors. They need two things to work
properly - a clean pipe cut with a pipe cutter.

You will find the whole job much easier if you have the right tools, a small
investment (£10) will save loads of time & aggro. Bear in mind that basins
are 1/2" taps fed by 15mm pipe and baths (generally) have 3/4" taps fed by
22mm pipe.

Assuming the taps are connected by copper pipe - if not photo please.

Invest in a pipe cutter similar to this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21946/...-Cutter-3-28mm

You can use wire wool to clean the pipe - no paint, solder blobs, verdigree
etc - clean!

An adjustable basin wrench will make it easy/possible to do up the back nuts
& connectors
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...archbutton.y=8

also does using a flexi hose affect the water in any way (i.e the pressure
etc) - also does it have to be tort / not lax/bent ?

In theory yes, in practice not really. They should follow gentle curves -
go into Wickes & read the back of the packet - no twists, kinks, strain.

HTH

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Hi
Just had a look at the bath tap and one side (the side against the wall) it
is fitted with one of those flexible things (but its almost totally
straight) and the other side is a normal pipe.

I have some pics
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1346yg9.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1347jw7.jpg

http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1350op4.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1351pd7.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1354tx5.jpg

So if I was to repalce the one closest to me do I just unscrew the nut-
stick in the new tap and do up the nut?

As you can see the one with the hose - is it the same? I just updo the nut
and replace with the new one? Do I need a washer (what type) on the
underside of the bath between the bath and the nut? Or is it one of the
compression types?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi
Just had a look at the bath tap and one side (the side against the
wall) it is fitted with one of those flexible things (but its almost
totally straight) and the other side is a normal pipe.

I have some pics
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1346yg9.jpg

So if I was to repalce the one closest to me do I just unscrew the
nut- stick in the new tap and do up the nut?

As you can see the one with the hose - is it the same? I just updo
the nut and replace with the new one? Do I need a washer (what type)
on the underside of the bath between the bath and the nut? Or is it
one of the compression types?

If you look at the first picture you will see two nuts, one on the end of
the pipe which connects the pipe to the tap, and above it a nut (backnut)
which holds the tap onto the bath. It will be the same on both the rigid
copper pipe & the flexible. The latter is simply more convenient, but more
expensive than the former.

Turn the water off! Hot & cold.

Undo the nuts connecting the pipes to the taps. Then undo the backnuts
holding the taps to the bath. Temporarily disconnecting the overflow pipe
will make it easier, don't forget to put it back.

The taps can now be lifted free. Insert the new tap with a rubber washer
between it & the bath, Do up the backnuts so the taps don't twist or move.
Some taps (not many IME) have a washer between the backnut & bath, in which
case a diagram should be included showing which one goes where.

Now attach the supply pipes. The flexible should have a captive rubber
washer, the rigid pipe should have a fibre washer (usually red) - make sure
both are OK. 99% of the time the height of the rigid pipe will be just
right for the depth of the tap thread. With the flaxible it obviously
doesn't matter.

Check every joint, turn water back on, check carefully for any drips.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

HOT MOP? urgent RubenD Home Repair 11 July 29th 08 02:33 AM
The Reason Hot Taps Are On The Left And Cold Taps Are On The Right ARWadsworth UK diy 29 November 1st 07 10:53 AM
Urgent ..Please help... [email protected] Home Repair 16 September 22nd 05 07:40 PM
Urgent ..Please help... [email protected] Home Ownership 3 September 18th 05 04:30 AM
URGENT....PLEASE R S Woodturning 0 June 26th 04 09:34 PM