Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Urgent ..Please help...

Urgent ..Please help...

I am writing regarding a home in the Bay Area, CA.

My sister bought it NEW from the home builders about 8 years ago.

There is a leak in the pipes (bath tub area) inside the walls and is
dripping to the first floor. This could be serious and cost a lot of
money to repair.

Can anyone pls tell me what is the warranty for for such pipe leaks ?

We tried recaulking the bath tub ...but it did not help.

Is the builder responsible for this ?

What is the law with respect to home builders and plumbing/leaks/
related warranties ? is it 10 years ?

In speaking with the HomeBuilders they brushed us off ...saying the
warranty is only a year or so.

Do we stand on legally strong grounds ?

Thanks
Rita

After 8 years, you're on your own for plumbing leaks. I don't know
anywhere in the USA where it would be covered, unless you had a
specific warranty given to you by the builder. And no builder is going
to give an 8 year warranty on plumbing.

If damage has occured, that may be covered under your homeowner's
policy. IF theses are fixed early, there is no reason they have to be
very expensive. To cut a hole in the ceiling, fix it, repair the
drywall and paint is typically all that's required.