Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Urgent Help - Taps

mo wrote:
Hi
Just had a look at the bath tap and one side (the side against the
wall) it is fitted with one of those flexible things (but its almost
totally straight) and the other side is a normal pipe.

I have some pics
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1346yg9.jpg

So if I was to repalce the one closest to me do I just unscrew the
nut- stick in the new tap and do up the nut?

As you can see the one with the hose - is it the same? I just updo
the nut and replace with the new one? Do I need a washer (what type)
on the underside of the bath between the bath and the nut? Or is it
one of the compression types?

If you look at the first picture you will see two nuts, one on the end of
the pipe which connects the pipe to the tap, and above it a nut (backnut)
which holds the tap onto the bath. It will be the same on both the rigid
copper pipe & the flexible. The latter is simply more convenient, but more
expensive than the former.

Turn the water off! Hot & cold.

Undo the nuts connecting the pipes to the taps. Then undo the backnuts
holding the taps to the bath. Temporarily disconnecting the overflow pipe
will make it easier, don't forget to put it back.

The taps can now be lifted free. Insert the new tap with a rubber washer
between it & the bath, Do up the backnuts so the taps don't twist or move.
Some taps (not many IME) have a washer between the backnut & bath, in which
case a diagram should be included showing which one goes where.

Now attach the supply pipes. The flexible should have a captive rubber
washer, the rigid pipe should have a fibre washer (usually red) - make sure
both are OK. 99% of the time the height of the rigid pipe will be just
right for the depth of the tap thread. With the flaxible it obviously
doesn't matter.

Check every joint, turn water back on, check carefully for any drips.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk