Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stepladder Hinge Repair or Replacement: Update

Took delivery of the new 9 step stepladders and just the job
they are ,solid and sturdy .
I removed the hinges from the current wooden steps and "sorted" the
rivet that both halves pivot on ( just hammered up tighter..only one
as the other was ok) I also replaced the pins and star washers holding
the hinges to the steps and replaced them with M4 bolts and
locknuts+washers and checked the nails holding the steps which are
rebated in to the sides .I'd have preferred M4 washers with a larger
diameter but didn't see any at the time .
Result is they are much sturdier now and gives confidence when using
them . I'm probably going to keep them meantime as they'll be useful
when I don't need the taller ones .
See pic...still to shorten the bolts .
Old
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...epladder01.jpg