Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stepladder Hinge Repair or Replacement

Living in a Victorian tenement I have always been in need of tall
stepladders .The wooden ones that I have had for years are a bit
"shoogly" and as you get on in years the shoogly effect is a bit more
troubling than it once was .
I took delivery of a brand new set this morning similar to these ones
http://www.ladderstore.com/heavy-dut...read-p-27.html
at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more
stretching to get to the ceiling and surrounding areas while
considering you might find yourself on the floor anytime soon .

Not sure what to do with the old wooden ones ....keep them or give
them away or sell them for a fiver :-)... The problem seems to be the
hinge pivot .It's held by a rivet which ,over the years,has loosened
and there is sideways movement between the two sections of the steps .

Am I likely to be able to get a replacement hinge or should I replace
the rivet with a nut and bolt...would that do?
Here is a pic of the hinge .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...epladder01.jpg

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
Not sure what to do with the old wooden ones ....keep them or give
them away or sell them for a fiver :-)... The problem seems to be the
hinge pivot .It's held by a rivet which ,over the years,has loosened
and there is sideways movement between the two sections of the steps .

Am I likely to be able to get a replacement hinge or should I replace
the rivet with a nut and bolt...would that do?
Here is a pic of the hinge .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...epladder01.jpg

My dad has a set of those. The most frequently used one is very
loose all over. Actually, I discovered when I was using it as a
teenager that with the right wobbling motion on the top, I could
make the ladder walk along the floor, which was quite useful.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Take a saw to them and make them car boot size and get rid. The other
options, open you to the elves a safety groups and you could get
considerably poorer.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:45:54 +0100, Dave

[...]

Health and Safety !!!
Your imagination has been running away with you :-)
You should stop reading Tabloid Trash ..FFS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Bin em.

Mind you the lovely alloy ones you have just purchased make *excellent*
conductors when you suddenly find the live cable in the light fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:55:38 +0100, NOSPAMnet wrote:

[...]

Hang on to them and submit as an entry for the Turner Prize - the
brushwork is unique.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 19:20:04 +0100, "RW" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Yeah Yeah Yeah !!!! ****s sake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:43:01 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

[...]

And yet another comedian pops his head up .**** off !!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear. I hope you're not allowed out on the streets without a muzzle!

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Not sure what to do with the old wooden ones ....keep them or give
them away or sell them for a fiver :-)... The problem seems to be the
hinge pivot .It's held by a rivet which ,over the years,has loosened
and there is sideways movement between the two sections of the steps .

Am I likely to be able to get a replacement hinge or should I replace
the rivet with a nut and bolt...would that do?
Here is a pic of the hinge .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...epladder01.jpg

I'm sure you can get ladder hinges somewhere, but buggered if I can
recall. In the absence, you could try a bolt, but it'll have to be very
close-fitting and very securely fastened - locknut at least, with
Loctite.
A rivet would be the best way, as the original has lasted well, but
again, where to find one now and you'd have to be sure it was well
fitted - the original holes will be oddly shaped by now, I would think.

As they stand, you can't sell or give them away if you want to safeguard
yourself - ok, it's caveat emptor, but that doesn't stop all sorts of
chancers from trying it on if they fall off and the worst part is...
they might succeed.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:58:48 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

[...]

What I'll probably do is drill the rivet out and see what the holes
are like . I was thinking of a bolt or a piece of studding ( I have
plenty) ,a washer on each side and a locknut ( or one each side if I
use studding) and again I have plenty . I'm sure I could get a rivet
but closing it up might be the problem .

Despite what other morons have said the steps are actually in pretty
good condition otherwise .

I might actually keep them but if I decide to give them away it'll
either be Freecycle or I'll leave them in the street on a Wed evening
...The Cleansing collect things on Thursday but they usually preceded
by a "Man in White Van" who has a look to see if there is anything
worthwhile to take .