Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Guitar amp socket replacement: update

This is now installed and working. It was a bit fiddly because none of the
components I could find had sufficiently long pins, so I followed Ron's
suggestion of using copper wire. I drilled out the old solder in the PCB to
accomodate the approx. 1 mm thick copper wire, then soldered 4 x 1cm lengths
of the wire to each pin (actually starting off with longer lengths for
easier handling, then trimming each down to about 1 cm). I hammered the ends
flat and tinned both sides first, which helped to make a stronger connection
to the flat pins of the component. The flexibility of the copper extensions
helped to guide the unit to the correct clearance off the PCB and held it
securely while I soldered it in place.
Thanks again to all those who gave such helpful support. My bass-playing son
spent a very happy 90 minutes practicing tonight.
Miles