Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daremo

Default Help with Univox Guitar Amp

I have a Univox Amp I purchased off the back of a guy's truck. It powers on,
but all I get is a hum output. I attach a microphone or guitar cable to any
of the inputs and *nothing* changes the output sound. The volume control
doesn't change the level of the hum output either. I should say, I've been
around guitars and amps for about 20 years and the output of this sounds
normal, not necessarily a "hum". It soulds like a normal amp with the input
(guitar or mic) turned off. I've tested all transistors with a VOM and they
seem OK. I've cleaned all pots/boards contacts with contact cleaner. I do
not have a o-scope or a signal generator, so I realize troubleshooting will
be difficult. I do have a schematic. My question is this: Do any of you
have advice for troubleshooting this with just a voltmeter?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Just Another Theremin Fan

I've tested all transistors with a VOM and they
seem OK.

God Almight.... VOM's should be banned from public use.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Just Another Theremin Fan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've tested all transistors with a VOM and they
seem OK.

God Almight.... VOM's should be banned from public use.....

The first thing to check with this kind of fault, is that the + and -
supplies to the front end are present. They are often derived from the main
high + and - rails that feed the output stages, by a simple power resistor
and power zener circuit. It is quite common in this type of arrangement for
the power resistors to go bad jointed, due to the temperature that they
typically run at, or the zeners to go short circuit, or the decoupling caps
across them to go short circuit. You will normally expect something of the
order of + / - 15v for the front end opamps.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"Daremo" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Feb 06 21:13:38)
--- on the heady topic of "Help with Univox Guitar Amp"

Da From: "Daremo"
Da Subject: Help with Univox Guitar Amp
Da Organization: Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
Da Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357600

Da I have a Univox Amp I purchased off the back of a guy's truck. It
Da powers on, but all I get is a hum output. I attach a microphone or
Da guitar cable to any of the inputs and *nothing* changes the output
Da sound. The volume control doesn't change the level of the hum output
Da either. I should say, I've been around guitars and amps for about 20
Da years and the output of this sounds normal, not necessarily a "hum".
Da It soulds like a normal amp with the input (guitar or mic) turned off.
Da I've tested all transistors with a VOM and they seem OK. I've
Da cleaned all pots/boards contacts with contact cleaner. I do not have
Da a o-scope or a signal generator, so I realize troubleshooting will be
Da difficult. I do have a schematic. My question is this: Do any of you
Da have advice for troubleshooting this with just a voltmeter?

Troubleshooting need not be difficult. Nor do you need a signal
generator or a scope. Simply inject some audio program into an input
and use a small amplifier to trace the audio path in the circuit.
Where the signal stops will be the bad part. Easy as pie!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daremo

Thanks to you all. I just got lucky. I was using the 10% rule, where
common components tested within 10% of each other I called them good. I
found 2 PNP Germanium Triodes that were identical but tested way different
than each other. I removed them from the circuit to test properly, and they
tested the same (both returned the same values, I mean). Upon re-installing
them, the amp worked fine. Maybe a cold/bad solder joint? (No way, not
after 30+years!) I think these were the preamp transistors? Anyway, like I
said, I got lucky.

"Daremo" wrote in message
I have a Univox Amp I purchased off the back of a guy's truck. It powers
on, but all I get is a hum output. I attach a microphone or guitar cable
to any of the inputs and *nothing* changes the output sound. The volume
control doesn't change the level of the hum output either. I should say,
I've been around guitars and amps for about 20 years and the output of this
sounds normal, not necessarily a "hum". It soulds like a normal amp with
the input (guitar or mic) turned off. I've tested all transistors with a
VOM and they seem OK. I've cleaned all pots/boards contacts with contact
cleaner. I do not have a o-scope or a signal generator, so I realize
troubleshooting will be difficult. I do have a schematic. My question is
this: Do any of you have advice for troubleshooting this with just a
voltmeter?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Daremo" wrote in message
Thanks to you all. I just got lucky. I was using the 10% rule, where
common components tested within 10% of each other I called them good. I
found 2 PNP Germanium Triodes that were identical but tested way different
than each other. I removed them from the circuit to test properly, and
they tested the same (both returned the same values, I mean). Upon
re-installing them, the amp worked fine. Maybe a cold/bad solder joint?
(No way, not after 30+years!) I think these were the preamp transistors?
Anyway, like I said, I got lucky.

What is a " PNP Germanium Triode " for goodness sake ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Daremo" wrote in message

Thanks to you all. I just got lucky. I was using the 10% rule,
where common components tested within 10% of each other I called
them good. I found 2 PNP Germanium Triodes that were identical but
tested way different than each other. I removed them from the
circuit to test properly, and they tested the same (both returned
the same values, I mean). Upon re-installing them, the amp worked
fine. Maybe a cold/bad solder joint? (No way, not after 30+years!)
I think these were the preamp transistors? Anyway, like I said, I
got lucky.

What is a " PNP Germanium Triode " for goodness sake ?

A transistor.

--
If the United States government, with all its capacity to collect
and interpret information, did not see Hamas doing very well in the

- Rami G. Khouri, editor at large of the Beirut-based _Daily Star_
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Thanks to you all. I just got lucky. I was using the 10% rule,
where common components tested within 10% of each other I called
them good. I found 2 PNP Germanium Triodes that were identical but
tested way different than each other. I removed them from the
circuit to test properly, and they tested the same (both returned
the same values, I mean). Upon re-installing them, the amp worked
fine. Maybe a cold/bad solder joint? (No way, not after 30+years!)
I think these were the preamp transistors? Anyway, like I said, I
got lucky.

way to go! we all need a bit of luck now and then.

in the early day of transistors technicians were cautioned to heatsink the
leads of transistors when soldering so as not to damage them. tiny little
aluminum spring loaded clamps were sold to aid in this process. (haven't
seen any of those for years now). it's vaguely possible that you fixed the
bad transistor by applying heat, however a bad solder connection is the more
likely culprit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daremo

It's been about 100 years since I've had electronics training, that's just
what the schematic said.

NTE 158

"Daremo" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"Arfa Daily" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Feb 06 01:37:49)
--- on the heady topic of " Help with Univox Guitar Amp"

AD From: "Arfa Daily"
AD Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357674

AD What is a " PNP Germanium Triode " for goodness sake ?

And here I thought you knew it all, eh?!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... From small chips to big breasts, silicone is great!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Asimov spake thus:

... From small chips to big breasts, silicone is great!

Silicon != silicone.

--
If the United States government, with all its capacity to collect
and interpret information, did not see Hamas doing very well in the
Palestinian election in the wake of these other Islamist victories,
then it is either willfully blind or totally incompetent—-
and neither possibility is a very comforting thought.

- Rami G. Khouri, editor at large of the Beirut-based _Daily Star_
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Asimov" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Feb 06 01:37:49)
--- on the heady topic of " Help with Univox Guitar Amp"

AD From: "Arfa Daily"
AD Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357674

AD What is a " PNP Germanium Triode " for goodness sake ?

And here I thought you knew it all, eh?!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... From small chips to big breasts, silicone is great!

I know what PNP is and I know what germanium is and I know what a PNP
germanium transistor is ( sheesh ! ) but I have never in 40 years seen a
semiconductor device referred to as a " Triode " ( and yes, I can see " Tri
" for 3 and " ode " for electrode, and yes, I am fully aware that a
conventional transistor has three electrodes ). This side of the Atlantic,
triodes have always been vacuum tubes, or in English English, valves.

The name " transistor " is a condensation of the words " transfer " and "
resistor " and to the best of my knowledge, that's the name it was
christened with by Bell Labs in the US, and the name that it has commonly
been known by throughout the world ever since.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"David Nebenzahl" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Feb 06 21:49:50)
--- on the heady topic of " Help with Univox Guitar Amp"

DN From: David Nebenzahl
DN Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357687

DN Asimov spake thus:

... From small chips to big breasts, silicone is great!

DN Silicon != silicone.

The Earth's crust is about 25% silicon and 50% oxygen. They should
have called it Silicon Oxide instead of Dirt. Go figure...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Letterman of Borg - "Ok, Top 10 reasons why resistance is futile:"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Daremo" wrote in message
It's been about 100 years since I've had electronics training, that's just
what the schematic said.

NTE 158

and the 'vox is only about 35 grin

and i suspect the transistor(s) are much younger

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land

in the early day of transistors technicians were cautioned to heatsink the
leads of transistors when soldering so as not to damage them. tiny little
aluminum spring loaded clamps were sold to aid in this process.

Ack! Those were "the early days of transistors"??? I feel old...I'd
better sit down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
ups.com...
in the early day of transistors technicians were cautioned to heatsink

the
leads of transistors when soldering so as not to damage them. tiny

little
aluminum spring loaded clamps were sold to aid in this process.

Ack! Those were "the early days of transistors"??? I feel old...I'd
better sit down.

back in the dawn of prehistory when you could actually fix most stuff and
replacement parts didn't cost more then the original unit.

way back when the drugstores had a tube checker and sold tubes.

when radios proudly counted the number of transistors in them.

when nuvistors valiantly failed to curb the onslaught of solid state.

when nixie tubes lit up glowing number displays that actually had curves and
not straight segments.

when a 10 function calculator cost over $100 and a slide rule course was
required.

gasoline had lead in it and was sometimes as low as 15 cents/gal

i feel old too... im gonna LAY down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land

when nixie tubes lit up glowing number displays that actually had curves and
not straight segments.

I actually have a VOM that I still use (dare I admit this here?) that
makes use of exactly these nixie tubes you describe for its readout.
Personally, I find them much easier to read than the 7-segmented
equivalents.

Alas, I can remember everything on your list...

Best...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
ups.com...
when nixie tubes lit up glowing number displays that actually had curves

and
not straight segments.

I actually have a VOM that I still use (dare I admit this here?) that
makes use of exactly these nixie tubes you describe for its readout.
Personally, I find them much easier to read than the 7-segmented
equivalents.

Alas, I can remember everything on your list...

Best...

back when radios had DIALS

and cable lacing with waxed string was an art form.

i bet ya that nixie VOM is really a VTVM... but i think there were a few
FET-VOMs that used them.

i built a nixie frew counter for scratch once... blew it up a couple time
measuring the +5 with an unshielded probe... some lessons don't 'take' the
first time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dasha Grant

IF YOU PURCHASED IT OFF THE BACK OF A GUY'S TRUCK CHANCES ARE IT'S
PROBABLY STOLEN.

ENJOY YOUR "HUM"

DOES YOUR BOYFRIEND ALSO "HUM"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land

Actually, not to drive this side discussion into the ground, but I
actually have restrung a few receiver tuning assemblies by hand, years
ago. Not for the faint of heart.

You're right, my nixie-tube-readout meter definitely has active
circuitry, but it's actually "modern" solid state...no other tubes
aside from the nixies.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am!!!

Cheers...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually, not to drive this side discussion into the ground, but I
actually have restrung a few receiver tuning assemblies by hand, years
ago. Not for the faint of heart.

You're right, my nixie-tube-readout meter definitely has active
circuitry, but it's actually "modern" solid state...no other tubes
aside from the nixies.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am!!!

Cheers...

your welcome

i forgot to add: back when capacitors looked like dominoes with colored
dots... and were just as often called condensers.