Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

Default Help with Univox Guitar Amp

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Thanks to you all. I just got lucky. I was using the 10% rule,
where common components tested within 10% of each other I called
them good. I found 2 PNP Germanium Triodes that were identical but
tested way different than each other. I removed them from the
circuit to test properly, and they tested the same (both returned
the same values, I mean). Upon re-installing them, the amp worked
fine. Maybe a cold/bad solder joint? (No way, not after 30+years!)
I think these were the preamp transistors? Anyway, like I said, I
got lucky.

way to go! we all need a bit of luck now and then.

in the early day of transistors technicians were cautioned to heatsink the
leads of transistors when soldering so as not to damage them. tiny little
aluminum spring loaded clamps were sold to aid in this process. (haven't
seen any of those for years now). it's vaguely possible that you fixed the
bad transistor by applying heat, however a bad solder connection is the more
likely culprit.