Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daremo

Default Help with Univox Guitar Amp

Thanks to you all. I just got lucky. I was using the 10% rule, where
common components tested within 10% of each other I called them good. I
found 2 PNP Germanium Triodes that were identical but tested way different
than each other. I removed them from the circuit to test properly, and they
tested the same (both returned the same values, I mean). Upon re-installing
them, the amp worked fine. Maybe a cold/bad solder joint? (No way, not
after 30+years!) I think these were the preamp transistors? Anyway, like I
said, I got lucky.

"Daremo" wrote in message
I have a Univox Amp I purchased off the back of a guy's truck. It powers
on, but all I get is a hum output. I attach a microphone or guitar cable
to any of the inputs and *nothing* changes the output sound. The volume
control doesn't change the level of the hum output either. I should say,
I've been around guitars and amps for about 20 years and the output of this
sounds normal, not necessarily a "hum". It soulds like a normal amp with
the input (guitar or mic) turned off. I've tested all transistors with a
VOM and they seem OK. I've cleaned all pots/boards contacts with contact
cleaner. I do not have a o-scope or a signal generator, so I realize
troubleshooting will be difficult. I do have a schematic. My question is
this: Do any of you have advice for troubleshooting this with just a
voltmeter?