Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Default Fitting loft hatch

My new home has a ply push up loft hatch that is supported by the
architrave around the opening. It is always a pain to open. I saw
those plastic prefabricated drop down ones in B&Q and elsewhere but
the standard width required seems to be 56 cm. My joist to joist
opening is a tantalising close 55 cm.

How easy do you think it would be to chisel or otherwise cut back half
a cm on each joist to a depth of a few cm to accommodate it.

Or should I just make a new one from ply or mdf? In fact thinking
about it, maybe I should just add a hinge and some sort of catch to
the existing one and replace the architrave to open it up. I guess I
would need some sort of insulated flange to close the door up against.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:

My new home has a ply push up loft hatch that is supported by the
architrave around the opening. It is always a pain to open. I saw
those plastic prefabricated drop down ones in B&Q and elsewhere but
the standard width required seems to be 56 cm. My joist to joist
opening is a tantalising close 55 cm.

How easy do you think it would be to chisel or otherwise cut back half
a cm on each joist to a depth of a few cm to accommodate it.

Not very. Besides which, it may weaken the joists. Far better to make the
lid fit the hole!

Or should I just make a new one from ply or mdf? In fact thinking
about it, maybe I should just add a hinge and some sort of catch to
the existing one and replace the architrave to open it up. I guess I
would need some sort of insulated flange to close the door up against.

Can't you use the existing one, maybe cut down a bit - and add a light
softwood frame so that you can hinge it easily. Suitable hinges and catches
usually come with loft ladders - but you can probably buy them on their own.

The idea is that it hinges downwards. You push gently upwards on the side
opposite the hinges, and that releases the catch. You can put a slab of
insulation on the top side of the door if you wish. You may be able to put
some light battens - and strips of draft proofing inside to opening for it
close against - but bear in mind that there needs to be a small amount of up
and down movement in the closed position to allow the catch to operate.
--
Cheers,
Roger

loft hatch Sam UK diy 15 November 28th 07 01:13 PM
Loft Hatch Insulation Topref UK diy 8 November 27th 07 08:21 PM
How to build a loft hatch? Rob Horton UK diy 8 March 13th 07 10:40 PM
Loft hatch - draft proofing Mark UK diy 6 December 10th 06 01:24 AM
'Concealed' loft hatch John UK diy 2 November 13th 03 06:19 PM