Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft Hatch Insulation

What is the best way of insulating the loft hatch door? Mine is the simple
type that you lift and push away from the opening. There is no fixed ladder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:18:20 -0000
"Topref" wrote:

What is the best way of insulating the loft hatch door? Mine is the simple
type that you lift and push away from the opening. There is no fixed ladder.

Mine was done 'professionally' by putting a wodge of glass-fibre in a
poly-bag and stapling it to the back of the hatch. I've replaced it
with a rectangle of Kingspan that I had left over from another job -
much better.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Nov, 01:18, "Topref" wrote:
What is the best way of insulating the loft hatch door? Mine is the simple
type that you lift and push away from the opening. There is no fixed ladder.

Cut some Kingspan/Celotex/Xtratherm etc. slightly smaller than the
door. Glue to the door using no nails etc. (I glued two pieces to give
a thickness of about 16 cm). Then cover the edgeswith aluminium tape.
You should wear a face mask when sawing this type of rigid insulation
because of the dust produced. Rigid insulation can be bought from
large B&Qs and Wickes. It is quite expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nafuk wrote:

On 27 Nov, 01:18, "Topref" wrote:
What is the best way of insulating the loft hatch door? Mine is the simple
type that you lift and push away from the opening. There is no fixed ladder.

Cut some Kingspan/Celotex/Xtratherm etc. slightly smaller than the
door. Glue to the door using no nails etc. (I glued two pieces to give
a thickness of about 16 cm). Then cover the edgeswith aluminium tape.
You should wear a face mask when sawing this type of rigid insulation
because of the dust produced. Rigid insulation can be bought from
large B&Qs and Wickes. It is quite expensive.

A possibly cheaper way, though needing a bit more work, is to
construct a simple 4-walled rectangular structure from hardboard,
3-ply, or whatever off-cuts you have to hand. Use bits of
softwood internally at each corner to nail or screw into. Make
this as deep as the insulation you require and attach to the
hatch with a couple of corner joints or bits of angle (depending
upon how the hatch was made, this may not be necessary if it can
sit within existing framing). Then simply place the requisite
amount of your loft insulation material in the box you have made.

That reminds me that I never got round to doing this in this
house. A job for the list.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the best way of insulating the loft hatch door? Mine is the simple
type that you lift and push away from the opening. There is no fixed ladder.

We have a pad of insulation fixed to the other side, and on this side
we have two clips that hold it tightly shut.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the best way of insulating the loft hatch door? Mine is the simple
type that you lift and push away from the opening. There is no fixed
ladder.

We have a pad of insulation fixed to the other side, and on this side
we have two clips that hold it tightly shut.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

I keep meaning to do mine and was thinking of a chunck of Polystyrene (when
I find a piece).

Any snag to this idea?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank You all for your input. Lots of options -

loft hatch Sam UK diy 15 November 28th 07 01:13 PM
How to build a loft hatch? Rob Horton UK diy 8 March 13th 07 10:40 PM
Loft hatch - draft proofing Mark UK diy 6 December 10th 06 01:24 AM
loft hatch supports/dampers ? graham UK diy 5 September 30th 05 10:29 PM
'Concealed' loft hatch John UK diy 2 November 13th 03 06:19 PM