graham

Default loft hatch supports/dampers ?

Hi all,
does anyone here have any bright ideas about suitable methods of
allowing a loft hatch to drop down on it's own once opened, so it
doesn't fall too fast and hit anyone on the head, or hit a wall etc.?

I was thinking of some kind of dampers from a car boot lid perhaps,
but if anyone has any better ideas I be glad to hear them.

essentially, all I want to do is press a button, which releases the
hatch, which then comes down slowly and safely. Ideally, i'd like to
press the button to watch it retract again also, but I reckion this
would be a bit more involed.

I've given only a quick explanation so as not to be too long winded,
but i can explain more if needed.

many thanks for any suggestions.
Graham
Peter Andrews

"graham" wrote in message
Hi all,
does anyone here have any bright ideas about suitable methods of
allowing a loft hatch to drop down on it's own once opened, so it
doesn't fall too fast and hit anyone on the head, or hit a wall etc.?

I was thinking of some kind of dampers from a car boot lid perhaps,
but if anyone has any better ideas I be glad to hear them.

essentially, all I want to do is press a button, which releases the
hatch, which then comes down slowly and safely. Ideally, i'd like to
press the button to watch it retract again also, but I reckion this
would be a bit more involed.

I've given only a quick explanation so as not to be too long winded,
but i can explain more if needed.

many thanks for any suggestions.
Graham

A simple way to do it is to put a couple of pulleys in the roof and take
'long' sash cord from the front edge of the trap up over the pulleys and
down, through a small hole (lined with plastic tube) into a convenient
cupboard. With a typical latch lock a small tug will lift the door slightly
releasing the catch and then a controlled swing down, closing simply means
pulling on the cord until door is shut. The bathroom airing cupboard is
where I put the cord.

Peter

Chris Bacon

graham wrote:
does anyone here have any bright ideas about suitable methods of
allowing a loft hatch to drop down on it's own once opened, so it
doesn't fall too fast and hit anyone on the head, or hit a wall etc.?

1 pulley,
1 length of cord,
1 weight,

or variations on above.

Harry Bloomfield

graham laid this down on his screen :
does anyone here have any bright ideas about suitable methods of
allowing a loft hatch to drop down on it's own once opened, so it
doesn't fall too fast and hit anyone on the head, or hit a wall etc.?

I was thinking of some kind of dampers from a car boot lid perhaps,
but if anyone has any better ideas I be glad to hear them.

A rod with a piston on the end, moving in a bit of pipe sealed at the
end - will provide damping. The tighter the fit, the more damping it
provides and it need not be that elaborate.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Can you pass some thick cord over a pulley and attach a counter-weight
to the other end of the cord?
Chris

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:18:00 GMT, graham wrote:

does anyone here have any bright ideas about suitable methods of
allowing a loft hatch to drop down on it's own once opened, so it
doesn't fall too fast and hit anyone on the head, or hit a wall
etc.?

Screw eye in the trap, stick with hook in the end.

Use a push to latch, push again to release latches on the trap and you
are away. But be aware that air pressure differences can move the trap
enough to operate the "push to release". A door security chain as a
secondary means of support sorted that out.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you... pecanfan UK diy 21 August 26th 04 05:28 PM
A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you... pecanfan UK diy 3 August 19th 04 06:54 PM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
'Concealed' loft hatch John UK diy 2 November 13th 03 06:19 PM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM