Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A meet?

The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had
a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer,
but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But
I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam
/ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons
Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be great. Food is OK and
cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem parking after 6.30

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/...PubNumber=2650

Otherwise I would be quite happy with a central London location or the
place in Reading we went to before (have sold the car so am now PT
limited!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tony Bryer wrote:
The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had
a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer,
but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But
I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam
/ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons
Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be great. Food is OK and
cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem parking after 6.30

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/...PubNumber=2650

Otherwise I would be quite happy with a central London location or the
place in Reading we went to before (have sold the car so am now PT
limited!)

Thanks - excellent idea - but will be unable to make it - circumstances.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:08:52 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons
Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd)

Long old haul from this part of teh world. Have a good time both at the
meet and down in Oz.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons
Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be great. Food is OK and
cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem parking after 6.30

I could do that if it's going ahead since I'm working reasonably close
ATM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at
Wetherspoons Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be
great. Food is OK and cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem
parking after 6.30

I could do that if it's going ahead since I'm working reasonably close
ATM.

That should provoke a few to turn up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Otherwise I would be quite happy with a central London location or the
place in Reading we went to before (have sold the car so am now PT
limited!)

To throw a spanner in the works ...

I'm going to a meeting in Westminster that day. I will never make it
alive to darkest Twickenham and then back home to Suffolk in the
evening, but I could manage late afternoon early evening in the centre
of London

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had
a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer,
but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But
I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam
/ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons
Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be great. Food is OK and
cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem parking after 6.30

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/...PubNumber=2650

Otherwise I would be quite happy with a central London location or the
place in Reading we went to before (have sold the car so am now PT
limited!)

Sorry Tony

Its too far from me in the North West and also am in chemotheraphy then. Hey
i look bad most of the time, you really dont want to see me when in chemo
lol

Best of luck anyway I hope it all goes well and you all have a drink or two
for Andy, have one for me.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

you can come and meet at my house - bring your tools!

--

[george]

~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tony Bryer wrote:
The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had
a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer,
but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But
I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam
/ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

We shall look forward to lots of posts about boreholes and roo-proof
fencing.

Owain

And how to unblock a bog with your pet trained brownsnake

:-|

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer writes:
The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had
a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer,
but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But

Oh. I'd love to come, but there are only 2 days I could manage
in the next 2 weeks, those being tomorrow (16th) and Thursday 18th,
so I will probably have to miss out this time around.

I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam
/ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

Ah, the wonders of the Internet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George \(dicegeorge\)" writes:
you can come and meet at my house - bring your tools!

A bring-a-tool party. Probably end up with 3 hammers and 5
angle grinders though. ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:01:35 +0100 Owain wrote :
We shall look forward to lots of posts about boreholes and roo-proof
fencing.

20 years ago I got to spend a day with a suburban Melbourne Building
Inspector - hugely interesting, thank you Box Hill City Council (every
suburb is a 'city' in Ozzie LA parlance).

The two most interesting things I still remember was the office block
being built on timber piles (so heavily treated with arsenic etc that
burning the offcuts on site was a no-go) hammered into the ground and,
secondly, their roof purlins: a piece of something like 6x2, underneath
it a wire rope shacked to the timber at either end and then jacked away
from the timber in the middle to force the purlin upwards, so it then
ends up straight when loaded. Structurally it acts like an RC beam with
the timber as the stress block in compression at the top and the cable
in tension.

And the other interesting thing was being able to build new houses
without planning permission! Lots of that area was developed in the
1950s and 1960s with the 1/4 acre plot beloved of Aussies. Of course
such a low density doesn't help sustain shops, public transport etc and
infrastructure maintenance per home is expensive. So they brought in a
provision that if you wanted to sell off half your garden for another
home you could: subject to basic rules PP was automatic - minimum floor
space, vehicle access and parking and something on the lines of all
walls had to be half their height from the boundary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
The recent sad news about Andy reminded many of us that we have not had
a meet for a long while. I meant to suggest one earlier in the summer,
but have been too busy: I emigrate to Australia two weeks today!!! But
I hope to hang around here if you'll have me. I am keeping my SuperBeam
/ProSteel business and will be running it from Melbourne.

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at Wetherspoons
Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd)

Sorry, I'll be in pre-Indonesia panic mode, having done a lot of
thinking about packing and not actually having got around to it

.... a lot closer for a Melbourne meet though

(I might have to learn swearing and bad language first)

Melbourne is incredibly small -

Years ago, I was backpacking in Italy with a girl from Melbourne, then
we went our separate ways. While I was working in Indonesia, in between
jobs I spent a couple of months in australia and while in Melbourne, I
phoned up and discovered that she was in London.

The next day, I asked some people working on tram traffic lights which
tram to take to get somewhere

"Are you geoff? " the girl up the ladder asked

"err yes, how did you know ?"

It was the girl's sister who had answered the phone the previous
evening

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

Its too far from me in the North West and also am in chemotheraphy then.
Hey i look bad most of the time, you really dont want to see me when in
chemo lol

It's better than seeing the alternative :-)

Never had chemo but I have been bald for brain surgery. I enjoyed it, I'm
thinking of getting a grandson to give me a buzz so that I can experience it
again.

Best of luck anyway I hope it all goes well and you all have a drink or
two for Andy, have one for me.....

I'll have one for you :-)

Mary
too far for me too although I'm a bit further south, in Yorkshire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

Its too far from me in the North West and also am in chemotheraphy then.
Hey i look bad most of the time, you really dont want to see me when in
chemo lol

It's better than seeing the alternative :-)

Never had chemo but I have been bald for brain surgery. I enjoyed it, I'm
thinking of getting a grandson to give me a buzz so that I can experience
it again.

Best of luck anyway I hope it all goes well and you all have a drink or
two for Andy, have one for me.....

I'll have one for you :-)

Mary
too far for me too although I'm a bit further south, in Yorkshire.

Suggest a date and somewhere for a Yorkshire meet then. I could suggest a
couple of pubs just off J37 of the M1.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

Its too far from me in the North West and also am in chemotheraphy then.
Hey i look bad most of the time, you really dont want to see me when in
chemo lol

It's better than seeing the alternative :-)

Never had chemo but I have been bald for brain surgery. I enjoyed it, I'm
thinking of getting a grandson to give me a buzz so that I can experience
it again.

Best of luck anyway I hope it all goes well and you all have a drink or
two for Andy, have one for me.....

I'll have one for you :-)

Mary
too far for me too although I'm a bit further south, in Yorkshire.

LOL.
I do like your sence of humour. Like me if you cant laugh at yourself
lol...............

thanks Mary, have one for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at
Wetherspoons Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be
great. Food is OK and cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem
parking after 6.30

I could do that if it's going ahead since I'm working reasonably close
ATM.

That should provoke a few to turn up.

Whereas if you're going no one else will turn up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
R D S wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

It's short notice, but if anyone would like to join me at
Wetherspoons Twickenham Tuesday next week (23rd) that would be
great. Food is OK and cheap. 2-3 mins from station and no problem
parking after 6.30

I could do that if it's going ahead since I'm working reasonably close
ATM.

That should provoke a few to turn up.

Whereas if you're going no one else will turn up.

what do you mean?

he's get lost on the way

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 6:18*pm, "Samantha Booth"

Its too far from me in theNorthWest

Same here.

and also am in chemotheraphy then.

Hey!
Me too.

I'm actually on a dexamethasone at the moment but starting another
chemo soon.

Tony