Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stupidness at the rubbish dump

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:23:39 +0100 someone who may be Alang
wrote this:-

It's a yahoo group and will not accept any entrants without a yahoo
ID.

I doubt it. I have subscribed to a number of Yahoo groups, some
recently, simply by using the e-mail interface. Sending a blank
e-mail to the subscribe address should do the trick.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
dennis@home wrote:
"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote:

The mans a bit of an idiot though..

he thinks it should be "not in the publics interest"..
if they did that then that is saying "we think you are guilty and
you will
have a police record showing such".

Where they have made the decision that he may well have broken the
law but
its stupid and a waste of their time so they will dump the case.

He can always appeal if he wants a record as he is actually guilty.

"The man" is a woman called Genny...

Who cares what sex they are, only a sexist would be bothered.
Anyway how am I supposed to know genny is a woman's name?
Who names their kids after industrial kit?

There was a subtle clue in the first paragraph of the first article, which
started "A Wrexham woman" followed by the frequent use of 'she' & 'her'.

Thats your trouble though Dennis, you don't read things properly, you just
jump in with both feet.

Even if I do I still get it right more often than you so you can shut up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

It's a yahoo group and will not accept any entrants without a yahoo
ID.

I doubt it. I have subscribed to a number of Yahoo groups, some
recently, simply by using the e-mail interface. Sending a blank
e-mail to the subscribe address should do the trick.

I get a page with 'join this group'. Click on it and I get a page with
a request for a yahoo ID and password and a sign up for yahoo ID
button at the bottom.

I have even sent a subscribe mail to the address on the site but the
reply just puts me back into the same circle. Even the email mailing
list ends up on the yahoo logon page.

Freecycle is a good idea but it needs a bit more thought about how
it's run
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote:

[...]

Ner ner ne ner ner.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Sep 2008 08:04:11 GMT, Adrian wrote:

....in a friggin' 2cv van...

....with windows behind the driver's seat, and taxed as PLG.

With windows behind the drivers seat it is a car not a van. I don't think
the taxation class as shown on the tax disc will help but then I've never
owned a van or looked that closely at the tax disc on one. Others here
have vans, what does the tax disc say?

So draw 'em at the purpose.

The existance or not of windows behind the drivers seat is the line
between a van (no side windows) or a car (side windows).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:14:15 +0100, mogga wrote:

Stick it on freecycle anyway and see who comes and takes it. There's
always one person who'll have all the crud.

If only that was the case. Freecycle requires a minimum population density
to be effective. Up here the population is too low and we are too far from
areas that have suffcient density. I have got rid of stuff via freecycle
but only about 1/3 of what I have offered. Where as down in Carlisle or
Penrith it would have all gone.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Stick it on freecycle anyway and see who comes and takes it. There's
always one person who'll have all the crud.

The pain of dealing with the zealots at Freecycle outdoes any utility
that Freecycle may have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:06:20 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

mogga wrote:

Stick it on freecycle anyway and see who comes and takes it. There's
always one person who'll have all the crud.

The pain of dealing with the zealots at Freecycle outdoes any utility
that Freecycle may have.

God all mighty-you don't say.

That *and* having to negotiate with them through yahoo yahoo/mail I've
been at it since 11-00am this morning.

I've 2 or 3 good working colour tellies and a small electrolux
absorbtion fridge, {often used in labs BTW} , (I would be prepared to
deliver even), to get rid of but so help me I've spent a good
proportion of my time on my Saturday off jumping through hoops 300
feet high getting signed up to yahoo then get signed up onto
freecycle-leeds. They want all the same crap over again - including
messing with their stupid "wavy character" gif images, waiting for a
yahoo email (which is slow as c **t )(*) and which is full of adverts
and silly stupid yahoo pop ups that take glacial epochs to emerge.
USW, USW, USW.

*HANSEN* ...

"I doubt it. I have subscribed to a number of Yahoo groups, some
recently, simply by using the e-mail interface. Sending a blank
e-mail to the subscribe address should do the trick."

Are you receiving me ?

I'd sooner be buggered.

If I'm not subscribed by tomorrow morning it's down the tip with them
and that'll be the end of it.

(*) "Coot"

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 13 Sep 2008 08:04:11 GMT, Adrian wrote:

....in a friggin' 2cv van...

....with windows behind the driver's seat, and taxed as PLG.

With windows behind the drivers seat it is a car not a van. I don't think
the taxation class as shown on the tax disc will help but then I've never
owned a van or looked that closely at the tax disc on one. Others here
have vans, what does the tax disc say?

So draw 'em at the purpose.

The existance or not of windows behind the drivers seat is the line
between a van (no side windows) or a car (side windows).

Actually my defender was classed as a minibus, as it had 12 seats..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 12 Sep 2008 06:30:16 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Dont even thik of using even a land rover defender to dump stuff at the
tip either.

'Commercial vehicle mate'

Does it have windows behind the drivers seat? If it does it's a car
(non-commercial) if it doesn't its a van (commercial). Does the tax disc
let on what the DVLA think it is, or will it just be PLG?

....in a friggin' 2cv van...

van = commercial. I don't like lines but occasionally they have to be
drawn.

Is that definitive?

A doublecab is never commercial?

Fire engines, dustcarts and other vehicles with a second row of seats?

Or am I overapplying the test?

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:07:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The existance or not of windows behind the drivers seat is the line
between a van (no side windows) or a car (side windows).

Actually my defender was classed as a minibus, as it had 12 seats..

Still not a van though. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:13:20 +0100, Rod wrote:

Is that definitive?

Not from me. B-) There is something like it in the regulations though.
As a simple test for the apes at dumps to use it's good enough and clear.

A doublecab is never commercial?

Fire engines, dustcarts and other vehicles with a second row of seats?

Or am I overapplying the test?

For the latter list I'd say over applying for the former I don't know but
I wouldn't be surprised if a double cab is technically a car.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Sep, 16:17, Andy Wade wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
How do you find your local freecycle place?

Though some/many Freecycle groups defected en masse, like my local
one, to Freeshare after the Freecycle founder started getting big
dollar signs in his eyes.

Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:54:01 +0100 someone who may be Alang
wrote this:-

I doubt it. I have subscribed to a number of Yahoo groups, some
recently, simply by using the e-mail interface. Sending a blank
e-mail to the subscribe address should do the trick.

I get a page with 'join this group'. Click on it and I get a page with
a request for a yahoo ID and password and a sign up for yahoo ID
button at the bottom.

That is using the web based interface.

I have even sent a subscribe mail to the address on the site but the
reply just puts me back into the same circle.

You need to find out what the e-mail address for subscribing is. You
should be told this in the e-mail you get if you try to send an
e-mail to the group from an unsubscribed address. A guess is to add
-subscribe to the first bit of the group e-mail address.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I doubt it. I have subscribed to a number of Yahoo groups, some
recently, simply by using the e-mail interface. Sending a blank
e-mail to the subscribe address should do the trick.

I get a page with 'join this group'. Click on it and I get a page with
a request for a yahoo ID and password and a sign up for yahoo ID
button at the bottom.

That is using the web based interface.

I have even sent a subscribe mail to the address on the site but the
reply just puts me back into the same circle.

You need to find out what the e-mail address for subscribing is. You
should be told this in the e-mail you get if you try to send an
e-mail to the group from an unsubscribed address. A guess is to add
-subscribe to the first bit of the group e-mail address.

The problem is that joining a Yahoo group seems to stimulate spam to the
subscribed address. This isn't unique to FreeCycle, so somehow Yahoo
addresses are 'leaking' - intentionally or not.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I doubt it. I have subscribed to a number of Yahoo groups, some
recently, simply by using the e-mail interface. Sending a blank
e-mail to the subscribe address should do the trick.

I get a page with 'join this group'. Click on it and I get a page with
a request for a yahoo ID and password and a sign up for yahoo ID
button at the bottom.

That is using the web based interface.

I have even sent a subscribe mail to the address on the site but the
reply just puts me back into the same circle.

You need to find out what the e-mail address for subscribing is. You
should be told this in the e-mail you get if you try to send an
e-mail to the group from an unsubscribed address. A guess is to add
-subscribe to the first bit of the group e-mail address.

I've given up. The page says they have only been going for 10 days so
maybe they haven't got thier act together
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:49:09 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 13 Sep 2008 08:04:11 GMT, Adrian wrote:

....in a friggin' 2cv van...

....with windows behind the driver's seat, and taxed as PLG.

With windows behind the drivers seat it is a car not a van. I don't think
the taxation class as shown on the tax disc will help but then I've never
owned a van or looked that closely at the tax disc on one. Others here
have vans, what does the tax disc say?

So draw 'em at the purpose.

The existance or not of windows behind the drivers seat is the line
between a van (no side windows) or a car (side windows).

Once when crossing the Tay Bridge in my VW LT35 I got to the toll
barrier and the agent demanded the higher commercial vehicle rate.

I protested that the van no longer had to be plated and paid the same
tax as any ordinary van/car, but he jumped out of his little cabin and
homed in on my tax disk before you could say "Stand and Deliver" and
re-iterated his demand for money at the commercial rate.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Same at the Dartford Crossing. Renault Kangoo van & car are the same
vehicle but I have to pay more.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

Our local Freecycle group has four or five times as many 'offered' as
'wanted' and I've ended up dumping perfectly useful stuff that no one
will take for free.

Although I have had quite a lot of stuff taken this way, there
was no interest ( at least nobody that would follow up an initial
contact - that's just rude) in a couple of single beds.

With a bit of cutting, I was amazed to find that I got them both,
with mattresses, in the back of my Mondeo hatchback.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 03:38:18 +0100, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

Where are you located, Dave? D & G has a Freeshare group.

Middle of the North Pennines, I've tried The Teesdale, Carlisle and
Penrith freecycle lists and some of the Freeshare ones. Don't think there
is one Hexham way but I doubt it would be any different they are all
centered 20 odd miles away.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:16:55 GMT Chris J Dixon wrote :
Although I have had quite a lot of stuff taken this way, there
was no interest ( at least nobody that would follow up an initial
contact - that's just rude) in a couple of single beds.

My single bed was gone within an hour of posting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

With a bit of cutting, I was amazed to find that I got them both,
with mattresses, in the back of my Mondeo hatchback.

I got a brand new bath, some shopping and my wife in a ford escort once.
With all the doors, boot and windows closed! And she was sitting in a
seat, wearing a seatbelt (the wife, not the bath).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:

Right, thanks. I stand corrected. I look after one of these dismal
objects for a relative, and I obviously remembered wrongly or read
out-of-date information. I can't see his 600cc object pulling the skin
off a rice pudding, and the thing would probably stop completely to
change gear going up a slight slope.

I drove one once, it wasn't too bad. Power-to-weight ratio, I guess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chunkyoldcortina" wrote in message
Kevin Poole wrote:

Right, thanks. I stand corrected. I look after one of these dismal
objects for a relative, and I obviously remembered wrongly or read
out-of-date information. I can't see his 600cc object pulling the skin
off a rice pudding, and the thing would probably stop completely to
change gear going up a slight slope.

I drove one once, it wasn't too bad. Power-to-weight ratio, I guess.

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you have
inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Same at the Dartford Crossing. Renault Kangoo van & car are the same
vehicle but I have to pay more.

Al Murray FFFFReenchhh /Al Murray

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you
have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on
engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

And a quick dig suggests the Ford is a little cheaper, despite the extra
seats.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you
have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on
engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

0-60 is irrelevant around town.

And a quick dig suggests the Ford is a little cheaper, despite the extra
seats.

That doesn't surprise me, costs more than my car though.
I would not buy a smart, I don't like them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine
you have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on
engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

0-60 is irrelevant around town.

No its not - you might be the doddery old fart in front of me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you
have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on
engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

0-60 is irrelevant around town.

No its not - you might be the doddery old fart in front of me

0 - speed limit may be relevant, 0 - 60 is useless marketing hype for
idiots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what
engine you have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending
on engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

0-60 is irrelevant around town.

No its not - you might be the doddery old fart in front of me

0 - speed limit may be relevant, 0 - 60 is useless marketing hype for
idiots.

60 mph - NSL achievable down any side street

0 - 60 is a benchmark

as a rule of thumb, if it has a better 0 -60, it has a better 0 - 30
performance, isn't it you doddery old fart

but then it's only a speed limit, and it might be you in front of me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

but then it's only a speed limit, and it might be you in front of me

Well if its you behind I will have to slow down.
Its always best to slow down when you have an idiot behind you.
I usually manage to time it so they are passing a camera when they decide
they are going to zoom past.
Then they have to do it all again after the next island or traffic lights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Same at the Dartford Crossing. Renault Kangoo van & car are the same
vehicle but I have to pay more.

Al Murray FFFFReenchhh /Al Murray

Where would we be without rules eh?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:38:23 +0100, dave wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:28:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you
have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on
engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

0-60 is irrelevant around town.

No its not - you might be the doddery old fart in front of me

0 - speed limit may be relevant, 0 - 60 is useless marketing hype for
idiots.

But Clarkson, the little guy and the haystack talk about 0-60 ad
infinitum! :-)

Ad nauseam more like!

Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message

But Clarkson, the little guy and the haystack talk about 0-60 ad
infinitum! :-)

QED.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:28:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you
have inside.
They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.
Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on
engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.
0-60 is irrelevant around town.
No its not - you might be the doddery old fart in front of me

0 - speed limit may be relevant, 0 - 60 is useless marketing hype for
idiots.

But Clarkson, the little guy and the haystack talk about 0-60 ad
infinitum! :-)

Its a very good indicator of usable power to weight ratio. And to an
extent, traction.

Apart from gear ratio issues,thats a measurement that applies to any
acceleration including overtaking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:

8

But Clarkson, the little guy and the haystack talk about 0-60 ad
infinitum! :-)

Its a very good indicator of usable power to weight ratio. And to an
extent, traction.

Not at all.
Considering how many they break doing 0-60 tests it isn't a good indication
of anything useful.
You certainly can't use it as an indicator to how it would behave on the
road.

"Oh dear I pulled out in front of the truck knowing that I could get to 60
in 4.5 seconds but something broke just before it hit me."

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

The Real Doctor wrote:
On 12 Sep, 16:17, Andy Wade wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
How do you find your local freecycle place?

Though some/many Freecycle groups defected en masse, like my local
one, to Freeshare after the Freecycle founder started getting big
dollar signs in his eyes.

Can you elaborate on that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

chunkyoldcortina wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

With a bit of cutting, I was amazed to find that I got them both,
with mattresses, in the back of my Mondeo hatchback.

I got a brand new bath, some shopping and my wife in a ford escort
once. With all the doors, boot and windows closed! And she was
sitting in a seat, wearing a seatbelt (the wife, not the bath).

I've seen a standard sized chest freezer transported 30 miles in the back of
a Fiesta. (Well, around two thirds was actually _in_ the car)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PM" wrote in message
chunkyoldcortina wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

With a bit of cutting, I was amazed to find that I got them both,
with mattresses, in the back of my Mondeo hatchback.

I got a brand new bath, some shopping and my wife in a ford escort
once. With all the doors, boot and windows closed! And she was
sitting in a seat, wearing a seatbelt (the wife, not the bath).

I've seen a standard sized chest freezer transported 30 miles in the back
of
a Fiesta. (Well, around two thirds was actually _in_ the car)

I've transported a standard fridge and a g/friend in a mini at the same time
with all the seats in (but not necessarily in their normal place). I could
only get 3rd and 4th gear (and reverse) mind!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

'Rubbish' rubbish bags The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 July 29th 07 01:08 PM
Surely This Is Rubbish!! John UK diy 12 March 11th 07 01:58 PM
Rubbish chute Andy R UK diy 2 January 16th 07 01:02 PM
Rubbish Shower Martin UK diy 7 February 10th 05 09:14 PM
Is my rubbish worth anything ? Popeye UK diy 12 June 1st 04 10:29 AM