Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Surely This Is Rubbish!!

I have an elderly relative that is having a kitchen refit done at the
moment. As part of the job she wants to be able to turn her kitchen lights
off ( and on ) from outside her bedroom door and also at the side of her
main entrance door. She lives in a bungalow by the way. The kitchen guys
have told her it is now against regulations to have two switches in the same
room controlling the same lights!!! Is this correct, as I think the guy(s)
is talking b******s so he doesn't have to rewire it in either 3 core and
earth or do it via a junction box in the loft, which is very well boarded
out and it would be quite a job to lift them to get to the wiring. If it is
correct my living room, kitchen, dining room and hallway are all against
regulation now!

Any comments greatly appreciated as the guys are back on site on Monday.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Has this work been accepted in her original contract with the fitters, or it
is extra work she wants done? If it has already been accepted on her
original contract, then I can't see the fitters trying to fob her off with
excuses. If, on the other hand, this is extra work she wants added to the
existing contract, has she mentioned the extra money she is willing to pay
for the work to be done?

I know of no new regulations that say lighting has to be controlled other
than with correctly installed and appropriate switchgear used, but with new
wiring configurations, not to my knowledge.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]

What the kitchen guys are probably aiming at is doing the work
themselves, under:

"Minor work that comprises only the replacement of
accessories, such as socket outlets, control switches
and ceiling roses, is never notifiable, even in a
kitchen or ‘special installation or location’."

However, once they modify the circuit, by putting in two switch points,
it will come under Part P and will need "to be notified to a building
control body in advance of the work starting", plus need approval,
certification, inspection et al - ie will need to be done by an electrician.

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I can see them trying that if they have just found out the loft is boarded

If, on the other hand, this is extra work she wants added to the
existing contract, has she mentioned the extra money she is willing to pay
for the work to be done?

I see that so often

You can have as many light switches as you want in one room to control the
the light in that room, until you run out of wall space for the switches.

Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"talking b******s"

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:11:56 GMT, Palindrome mused:

John wrote:
[...]

Yep.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Any comments greatly appreciated as the guys are back on site on Monday.

You're quite correct, it's complete rubbish. You can have as many
switches as you want controlling the same lights.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

The man is talking a load of old tosh. Perobably telling her that so he
doesn't have extra work to do

--
the_constructor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:18:51 -0000, "the_constructor"
wrote:

|!
|!"John" wrote in message
|!I have an elderly relative that is having a kitchen refit done at the
|!moment. As part of the job she wants to be able to turn her kitchen lights
|!off ( and on ) from outside her bedroom door and also at the side of her
|!main entrance door. She lives in a bungalow by the way. The kitchen guys
|!have told her it is now against regulations to have two switches in the
|!same room controlling the same lights!!! Is this correct, as I think the
|!guy(s) is talking b******s so he doesn't have to rewire it in either 3 core
|!and earth or do it via a junction box in the loft, which is very well
|!boarded out and it would be quite a job to lift them to get to the wiring.
|!If it is correct my living room, kitchen, dining room and hallway are all
|!against regulation now!
|!
|! Any comments greatly appreciated as the guys are back on site on Monday.
|!
|! Cheers
|!
|! John
|!
|!
|!The man is talking a load of old tosh. Perobably telling her that so he
|!doesn't have extra work to do

Say "how much extra will that cost", and they will bite your hand off.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 7:55 pm, "John" wrote:
[...]

If they really don't want to do it, the main switch can be replaced
with a remote control receiver, and a wireless switch put in the new
position - no wiring required. http://www.wireaway.com do some that
look like standard switches, so you'd never know!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message ,
rivermersey writes
Maybe they don't have the know how fit an Two way or intermediate
switch?

That's the first thing that went through my mind. It's amazing how many
"electricians" don't understand two way switching.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Rubbish chute Andy R UK diy 2 January 16th 07 01:02 PM
This groups will surely know surftom Metalworking 27 April 3rd 06 04:10 PM
thanks to everybody, here is my first shelf .. surely not last Pawel Woodworking 3 January 29th 06 11:19 PM
Rubbish Shower Martin UK diy 7 February 10th 05 09:14 PM
Is my rubbish worth anything ? Popeye UK diy 12 June 1st 04 10:29 AM