Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Don't buy Argos beds

A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep, 15:29, Clive wrote:
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Clive

I'd guess the reason could be that the manufacturing process is far
from perfect - but the samples shown to the Argos buyers were hand-
crafted to be perfect.
Then when the product arrives from the far-east in volume it is
straight off the production line and contains many imperfections.

When this happens, it is normally "out of stock" until the new
catalogue is published - where it is no longer listed and it's product
code is invalid.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive" wrote in message
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Clive

A mate of mine bought a "Futon" from Argos...hes now suing for a bad back.
lol

Daft sod has a big beerbelly that would put an 8 months pregnant woman to
shame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Clive

I have two and they were both fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

What on earh makes you think that these things aren't hand drilled by
starving bangladeshis using a drawing drawn on the back of a coconut husk?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Jut because they spent 50 quid on the packaging, doesn't mean they spent
more than 5p on the manufacturing.

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive writes:
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

I think it's IKEA that claim 10% of Europeans are now
conceived on an IKEA bed. I looked on their website
but I could see where you signed up to have a go on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:29:42 -0700 (PDT), Clive
wrote:

A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

They were bits for a different bed, or a previous model ?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

It would be. We got a bed from MFI and the instruction sheet was
missing, so we put it together as best we could (and made a sideboard
- no, just joking) .

We remembered from the showroom model the bed had an open slatted base
so assembled it with the 12 x 50 mm chipboard slats we had, put the
mattress on, and climbed aboard - and went straight through to the
floor, demolishing the chipboard slats on the way through.

The old bed had been put outside for the council to collect but it had
since rained. :-((

Turns out there was a whole steel frame and a second set of hardwood
slats plus the instructions in another package that hadn't been
delivered. Back up at MFI the assistant gleefully explained they had
had "production problems" with this bed and there would therefore be a
10 week delay before the missing bits could be delivered 8-((((((

We escalated the problem with the manager and eventually ...

"Her face was shut".

After about 1.5 hours of "full and frank discussions" in the middle of
the showroom they ultimately were more than happy to make a "Solomon
Binding" agreement to pinch bits from a display model here and a bed
awaiting delivery (but not yet really needed by the customer - so they
said) there, and we got the bed together.

Don't buy MFI beds.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Sounds like their quality control has improved then :-)

Without doubt the worst flat pack on the market, I hate assembling Argos
stuff.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive" wrote in message
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

She should have followed the instructions, or got someone who could.

requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together.

Clive

Someone that could follow instructions and not mess things up would have
been better. The instructions are fairly easy, so God knows what you made
a mess of it for!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
"Clive" wrote in message
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

She should have followed the instructions, or got someone who could.

requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together.

Clive

Someone that could follow instructions and not mess things up would
have been better. The instructions are fairly easy, so God knows
what you made a mess of it for!

I wonder how many people are put off posting to this group because of the
gob****es who post answers like that?

There always seems to be someone intent on scoring points rather than making
a positive contribution.

I've put together more flatpack in the past two & a half years than most
people would do in a lifetime. I've had all the problems Clive listed and
more with Argos. Its complete & utter ****e.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I wonder how many people are put off posting to this group because of the
gob****es who post answers like that?

Who is "Ian"?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:20:04 +0100, "Joker7"
wrote:

To restore balance to the world Clive wrote in

A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong
position requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the
thing to fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing
techniques and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Clive

I have put a number of Argos flatpacts together including beds with out
problem.I normally find a lot of the problem stem from the assembler,as the
instruction are not the best with Argos!

Chris

We had some bedroom furniture and there was a bit that was broken
(well not quite lined up right) so we rang the number on the leaflet
and a fresh part arrived the next day. I was impressed. Loads less
effort than trying to take somethign back or argue in the shop.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think it's IKEA that claim 10% of Europeans are now
conceived on an IKEA bed. I looked on their website
but I could see where you signed up to have a go on it.

No point, it's shagged out by now.

--
FT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 7:56*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Ian wrote:
"Clive" wrote in message
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

She should have followed the instructions, or got someone who could.

requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together.

Clive

Someone that could follow instructions and not mess things up would
have been better. *The instructions are fairly easy, so God knows
what you made a mess of it for!

I wonder how many people are put off posting to this group because of the
gob****es who post answers like that?

There always seems to be someone intent on scoring points rather than making
a positive contribution.

And that post contributes what, exactly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep, 15:29, Clive wrote:
A friend of mine couldn't put her flat pack Argos bed together.

Significant pieces of the bed were missing and it took two weeks to
get the replacement parts. At least 10 of the holes for the various
locking bolts were drilled to the wrong depth or in the wrong position
requiring several artful dodges and bodges by me to get the thing to
fit together. How can that happen with modern manufacturing techniques
and millimeter accurate drilling jigs?

Overall an unsatisfying expereince putting the whole thing together.

Clive

With some flat packs the manufacturers may have already pre-assembled
certain parts but not updated the instructions.
I've had fair few bits from Argos and not had any issues. They're not
exactly the best quality but fair enough for the price.
Plus Argos will be buying off various manufacturers who will also
supply other retailers. You can't claim all Argos beds are crap from
one example.

Piggin Argos again! The Medway Handyman UK diy 39 March 9th 08 05:56 AM
Argos Mail Boxes The Medway Handyman UK diy 18 February 21st 08 07:09 PM
Argos 1/2" router Arthur UK diy 38 June 4th 07 10:30 AM
Argos Deal The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 February 19th 06 04:50 PM
Argos Challenge SDS Drill David Hearn UK diy 30 February 13th 04 06:06 PM