Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Filling Old Wallplug Holes

Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of battens
and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes where the
wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process. I
haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom of
the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping it
down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing of it
as such, but it slows everything down so much.

Just ordinary light-ish-weight block walls - the odd brick or whatever.

Any suggestions?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of
battens and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes
where the wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process.
I haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom
of the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping
it down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing
of it as such, but it slows everything down so much.

Just ordinary light-ish-weight block walls - the odd brick or
whatever.
Any suggestions?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Readymix-Fil...ce/invt/607022

Brilliant - does what it says on the tin.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process. I
haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom of
the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping it
down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing of it
as such, but it slows everything down so much.

Any particular reason why you need to fill the full depth of the hole? I
normally find that filling it level with an appropriate filler (even of
that leaves 3/4 of the hole depth unfilled) is more than adequate for
cosmetic purposes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:35:46 UTC, Rod wrote:

Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of battens
and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes where the
wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process. I
haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom of
the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping it
down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing of it
as such, but it slows everything down so much.

I was tempted to use a tube of pre-mixed filler for this. Bad idea.

That stuff seems to work properly only in thin layers, or it doesn't
set. I waited a day or two for one lot, then gave up. Used standard
powder mix stuff and it set almost straight away.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but...
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
Rod wrote:

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process.
I haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom
of the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping
it down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing
of it as such, but it slows everything down so much.

Any particular reason why you need to fill the full depth of the hole? I
normally find that filling it level with an appropriate filler (even of
that leaves 3/4 of the hole depth unfilled) is more than adequate for
cosmetic purposes.

It just feels the right thing to do! I want to be able to drill new
holes anywhere without coming across voids. Also, I have found it very
easy to underfill a hole when just smearing a thin-ish layer on. Taking
care to entirely fill it avoids that.

Maybe I am getting hung up on something that doesn't matter that much?

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:35:46 UTC, Rod wrote:

Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of battens
and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes where the
wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process. I
haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom of
the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping it
down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing of it
as such, but it slows everything down so much.

I was tempted to use a tube of pre-mixed filler for this. Bad idea.

That stuff seems to work properly only in thin layers, or it doesn't
set. I waited a day or two for one lot, then gave up. Used standard
powder mix stuff and it set almost straight away.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but...

I want to use a mastic gun and cartridge of filler - no idea if that is
a good idea or not, but I couldn't find any. I dare say the various
Gripfills and similar would be usable - but would probably shrink and
stink and go the same way that yours did.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:56:56 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom
of the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping
it down, adding some more, tamping it down...

That's a bit excessive IMHO. Why do you feel the need to fill the hole
completely? I remove the old plugs, make a nice thick filler mix and using
a small trowel spread a small dollop of the filler over the hole. A fair
bit goes down the hole and a "spread" or two more is all that is required.
Leave a bit proud but before it fully hardens treat like plaster, wet and
smooth over with a small float or the flat of the filling trowel. I've not
had any of these fillings fall out or crack around. Part of the trick is a
stiff filler mix so if you trap a pocket of air and it can't get out it
doesn't push a dome onto the surface of the filler. A stiff mix doesn't
slump out of the hole either.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Readymix-Fil...ed-Filler-Once

Brilliant - does what it says on the tin.

Is that nice and smooth or a bit gritty? Bought a tube of ready mixed
polyfilla, on the basis that it would always be ready and easier than
mixing up a tiny amount of powdered filler. But it was terrible stuff, not
smooth at all but full of tiny gritty bits.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Very smooth, not at all gritty - you can smooth it off so well it doesn't
need sanding most of the time. See also
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/32581/...tweight-filler

and the best one IMO
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ler/index.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

It just feels the right thing to do! I want to be able to drill new
holes anywhere without coming across voids. Also, I have found it very

I would suggest fixing that problem should it happen (which is
relatively unlikely)

easy to underfill a hole when just smearing a thin-ish layer on. Taking
care to entirely fill it avoids that.

Maybe I am getting hung up on something that doesn't matter that much?

Personally I think so, but then each to his own! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:40:02 +0100, Rod wrote:

It just feels the right thing to do! I want to be able to drill new
holes anywhere without coming across voids.

But the filler will be so soft compared to brick, block or mortar that the
drill shoot off into it anyway and give you a "problem hole". Stop
worrying about it and deal with the "problem hole" *if* you ever end up
with one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I want to use a mastic gun and cartridge of filler - no idea if that is
a good idea or not, but I couldn't find any. I dare say the various
Gripfills and similar would be usable - but would probably shrink and
stink and go the same way that yours did.

If you want to go this route, then filling most of the depth with a
solvent gripfill product, letting that go off, and then finishing with a
surface filler would probably work. That way you can fill the depth with
something that will go off fast enough but shrink a bit, and then using
something non shrinking for the last bit that gives a good cosmetic finish.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of
battens and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes
where the wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process.
I haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom
of the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping
it down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing
of it as such, but it slows everything down so much.

Just ordinary light-ish-weight block walls - the odd brick or
whatever.
Any suggestions?

As a matter of interest, a letting agency once paid me to remove all the
plugs & fill the holes in a (vacated) rented three bedroom flat. Fairly new
place.

There were so many I counted them - 83 in total :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote

Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of battens
and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes where the
wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process. I
haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom of the
holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping it down,
adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing of it as such,
but it slows everything down so much.

Just ordinary light-ish-weight block walls - the odd brick or whatever.

Any suggestions?

--
Rod

If the holes that are left are very sandy/crumbly, start by squirting in
some dilute PVA.
This will take a few minutes onlyt for all the holes and help stabilise the
area/avoid pulling all the moisture out of the filler.
Again this is far end of the proverbial stuff, but hey-ho

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of
battens and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes
where the wall plugs have been removed.

Why take the plugs out?

Tap them gently below the surface with a suitably sized punch and fill
the shallow hole with decorators mate etc..

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of
battens and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes
where the wall plugs have been removed.

Why take the plugs out?

Tap them gently below the surface with a suitably sized punch and fill
the shallow hole with decorators mate etc..

regards

I really don't know why, but that severely disturbs my sense of how
things should be. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of
battens and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes
where the wall plugs have been removed.

Why take the plugs out?

Tap them gently below the surface with a suitably sized punch and fill
the shallow hole with decorators mate etc..

regards

A mid size pozi screw driver with the tip cut off (grinder) is about the
same size as a yellow plug
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

If you want to go this route, then filling most of the depth with a
solvent gripfill product, letting that go off, and then finishing with a
surface filler would probably work. That way you can fill the depth with
something that will go off fast enough but shrink a bit, and then using
something non shrinking for the last bit that gives a good cosmetic finish.

Matchsticks a little shorter than the hole.

:¬)

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

If you want to go this route, then filling most of the depth with a
solvent gripfill product, letting that go off, and then finishing with a
surface filler would probably work. That way you can fill the depth with
something that will go off fast enough but shrink a bit, and then using
something non shrinking for the last bit that gives a good cosmetic finish.

Matchsticks a little shorter than the hole.

:¬)

Pete

Do you remember those giant matches - for fire lighting, I think?

Well they wouldn't be thick enough! :-)

I ended up using Screwfix' finest (i.e. cheapest)
gripfill-alike-non-solvent - squirted it into hole and kept slowly
squeezing as I withdrew the nozzle. Left it at least overnight - then
filled the remaining hole, largely caused by shrinkage, with ordinary
filler. And all is well.

Any clues how to get over OCD and autism?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I ended up using Screwfix' finest (i.e. cheapest)
gripfill-alike-non-solvent - squirted it into hole and kept slowly
squeezing as I withdrew the nozzle. Left it at least overnight - then
filled the remaining hole, largely caused by shrinkage, with ordinary
filler. And all is well.

Any clues how to get over OCD and autism?

:¬)

I can also give a very big recommendation to Polycel(?) "big gap filler"
not that squirty foam stuff but the stuff that comes pre-mixed in a
tub. It's very grey in colour but I sucessfully used it to re-create the
missing 6" square area in the corner of a plaster/lath ceiling by using
abit of polysterene as a backing (only flat substance I had to hand)
then screwing some screws in for a bit more "grab" factor, finally using
big-gap-filler to fill what was lath/plaster.

Tiny bit of sanding and a spot of paint and you'd never know it wasn't
original.

Definately one for those otherwise impossible jobs.
:¬)

Filling holes in joists The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 10 September 5th 06 11:49 PM
Filling Holes J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 08:48 PM
Filling 5/8 holes with stick [email protected] Metalworking 8 December 15th 04 06:18 AM
Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM