Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Fridge Thermostat

My fridge ( Lec Elan /no icebox) ) seems to have difficulty getting to
5 degrees without the control being set at setting 6 which is it's
Max . I am using a thermometer to check this .
I'm proposing to replace the thermostat and was wondering if it's a
difficult job . The control is just below the top ( appears to be
removeable) of the fridge above the door and can be operated when the
door is shut . Looking at the back of the fridge a pipe which I take
to be the tubing on the thermo exits from just under the top of the
fridge and then goes back inside the fridge about 1/3rd of the way
down and I guess it sits behind the plate that sits at the back of
the fridge (inside) .
This would appear to be the replacement thermo
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/cgi-bin/p...20Thermo stat

It seems reasonably straightforward ...remove the fridge
top,disconnect the inside plate ,disconnect the switch and remove the
thermo then do the same in reverse ...
Does that sound right ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

wrote in message
[...]

You 1st have to ensure it is not a fault with the compressor / refrigerant.
Just because you can only get near to the temperature with the control on
max do not assume the thermostat is the problem. Often the maximum setting
just lets the compressor run for most of the time just as a fast freeze
control functions on a freezer. We had a similar problem because our
compressor started to fail (and became quieter than usual) and worked hard
to achieve the temperature needed through running for most of the time. Is
this the same symptom as you have ?
You should be able to hear / feel the thermostat activating as you rotate
the control. You can check its electrical operation with a basic multimeter
having isolated the fridge 1st and then check if the contacts open / close /
the resistance value etc.
Fault find best you can but do not just assume it is the thermostat ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gio" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
[...]

Also check door seal (all round). Unlikely to be thermostat IMHO. Try and
check how much time in say 4 hours the motor runs. I would guess it is
running most of the time and isn't reaching the set point and switching off.

You wouldn't necessarily consider replacing the room thermostat if your
heating didn't get the house warm enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Gio" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
[...]

If you do end up changing the stat then make sure you get the correct type.
There are different ones for Standard fridges, Auto defrosting ones and
fridge freezers

Virtually all fridges have a standard fitting and several manufacturers
make generic replacements for each class of fridge. You should not have
to get one explicitly for your model of fridge.

HTH

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This would appear to be the replacement thermohttp://www.buyspares.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=866802&query=LEC%20...

It seems reasonably straightforward ...remove the fridge
top,disconnect the inside plate ,disconnect the switch and remove the
thermo then do the same in reverse ...
Does that sound right ?

Hi,

Sounds reasonable but also try ukwhitegoods (google), they may be able
to supply a stat too.

cheers,
Pete.