Steve in Herts

Default Thermostat in Bosch Fridge Freezer

Does anyone know where the thermostat is located in a typical
fridge-frezer? Mine is a "Bosch Cooler" and is 9 years old and
suddenly stopped working. As a temporary fix, I have bypassed the
thermostat connection going to the compressor in a feeble attempt to
try and save the food until I can replace the thermostat. I only plan
on running the compressor for short periods to prevent it from
overheating.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Steve

To combat spam,. my email address is only valid if the "food" is
removed from it!
orbiter

"Steve in Herts" wrote in message
Does anyone know where the thermostat is located in a typical
fridge-frezer? Mine is a "Bosch Cooler" and is 9 years old and
suddenly stopped working. As a temporary fix, I have bypassed the
thermostat connection going to the compressor in a feeble attempt to
try and save the food until I can replace the thermostat. I only plan
on running the compressor for short periods to prevent it from
overheating.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Steve

To combat spam,. my email address is only valid if the "food" is
removed from it!

It is usually on the other side of the control knob you use to adjust the
temperature.

Lurch

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:56:14 GMT, Steve in Herts
scrawled:

Does anyone know where the thermostat is located in a typical
fridge-frezer?

On the end of the shaft connected to the temerature control dial.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Steve in Herts

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:53:59 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:56:14 GMT, Steve in Herts
scrawled:

Does anyone know where the thermostat is located in a typical
fridge-frezer?

On the end of the shaft connected to the temerature control dial.

Thanks but this fridge freezer has an electronic temperature
control.ler. The external control dial (accessable from outside the
fride/freezer) is at the very top of the fridge compartment (mounted
2cm below the very top of the fridge). I think the thermostat is
remotely located from the controller but I don't know where.
Lurch

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:22:40 GMT, Steve in Herts
scrawled:

Thanks but this fridge freezer has an electronic temperature
control.ler. The external control dial (accessable from outside the
fride/freezer) is at the very top of the fridge compartment (mounted
2cm below the very top of the fridge). I think the thermostat is
remotely located from the controller but I don't know where.

Show us a picture. If it's a control dial then it's more than likely
connected to a thermostat immediately behind it. I'm a little confused
tbh.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

orbiter

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:22:40 GMT, Steve in Herts
scrawled:

Thanks but this fridge freezer has an electronic temperature
control.ler. The external control dial (accessable from outside the
fride/freezer) is at the very top of the fridge compartment (mounted
2cm below the very top of the fridge). I think the thermostat is
remotely located from the controller but I don't know where.

Show us a picture. If it's a control dial then it's more than likely
connected to a thermostat immediately behind it. I'm a little confused
tbh.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

If it is electronic controlled, the pcb does the switching of the compressor
based on readings from a thermistor (s) in the fridge and or freezer
compartments, does it have a fast freeze switch, if so have you tried it ?

Lurch

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:05:28 +0000 (UTC), "orbiter"
scrawled:

If it is electronic controlled, the pcb does the switching of the compressor
based on readings from a thermistor (s) in the fridge and or freezer
compartments, does it have a fast freeze switch, if so have you tried it ?

Can't say as I've seen a PCB based one with a dial tbh. If it is then
the thermistor is likely to be somewhere towards the rear of the
fridge behind the cooling plate.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
orbiter

?

Can't say as I've seen a PCB based one with a dial tbh. If it is then
the thermistor is likely to be somewhere towards the rear of the
fridge behind the cooling plate.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Some do its a potentiometer on the pcb you are adjusting with the control
knob, the thermister is usually inside the compartment surface mounted
(behind a grill or similar) so it reads air temperature rather than plate
temperature for more accurate control.

Steve in Herts

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:01:57 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:22:40 GMT, Steve in Herts
scrawled:

Thanks but this fridge freezer has an electronic temperature
control.ler. The external control dial (accessable from outside the
fride/freezer) is at the very top of the fridge compartment (mounted
2cm below the very top of the fridge). I think the thermostat is
remotely located from the controller but I don't know where.

Show us a picture. If it's a control dial then it's more than likely
connected to a thermostat immediately behind it. I'm a little confused
tbh.

I have now removed the control dial and the PCB behind it. There is a
3-pin component which may or may not be a triac for switching the
compressor. My next step is to determine if the triac is at fault or
of it is the temperature sensor.

Thanks everone for your suggestions.
Steve in Herts

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:05:28 +0000 (UTC), "orbiter"
wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The fast freeze button doesn't turn on the compressor when pressed in.

Is it likely that a triac is used to switch on and off the compressor?

orbiter

"Steve in Herts" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:05:28 +0000 (UTC), "orbiter"
wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The fast freeze should bypass the thermistor sensor so it seems most likely
to be the triac, try soldering in a new one.