Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Default Fridge thermostat - Off position

A couple of weeks ago, the thermostat in my Hotpoint fridge-freezer was
replaced by a repair firm. Although it initially ran on the cold side*,
the unit does cycle correctly and the auto defrost in the fridge appears to
work during the period the compessor is at rest. However, there is a
niggling question: I notice that, if the compressor is running and I turn
the thermostat right down to the "0" position, the compressor still runs.

Unfortunately, I never tried seeing what happens when the thermostat is put
to "0" before this new thermostat was fitted, but, and memory could well be
playing tricks, I thought putting the thermostat to "0" generally knocked
off the compressor until moved away from this position. Is this right?
The user handbook makes no mention of it. (And there's no technical support
or circuit diagrams from Hotpoint.)

On the old thermostat, I notice that the central spade connector is in
contact with one of the 2 outer spade connectors all the time except when in
at "0". I have not a great deal of faith in the fellow who replaced the
thermostat and even he thought it possible he had incorrectly reconnected
the connections.

Thanks

* I posted last week seeking advice on adjusting the preset screws to bring
the thermostat within correct range - I expect to post my observations in a
couple of days.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps there's a delay while it finishes the cooling cycle it's doing at
the moment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

No. Even after a couple of minutes it was still running.

Maybe I should wait until the compressor is resting and then knock the
thermostat off and see if it trips in when the fridge has warmed up to the
usual trip-in temp?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Martin wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Capillary sensor does not respond instantly. This thing goes bad very
seldom.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

I've since discovered that in the "0" position, the compressor ran
continuously and the auto defrost assist heater was on - definitely not
right!

I contacted a brilliant site www.fridgedoctor.com and they sent me the
circuit diagram of the cold control thermostat and I can now see that it was
incorrectly fitted. This site also produces an excellent book and cd
that I've sent off for on fridge repairs.

Thanks for all your help.