Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need cordless doorbell with longer range

I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk69" wrote in message
I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks

Hi , I use p.m.r.446

You will get them on ebay.

Kind Regards.

Micky. Leeds U.K.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk69" wrote in message
I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/57ereb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk69 wrote:
I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks

Yes - I used one (a Friedland) with a reported 100m range, but with 2
cavity brick walls between struggled to 30m. Any walls/ partitions
between do severely attenuate the signal. Buy the longest range bell
you can find from somewhere like Argos which has a no quibble returns
policy and try it

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 7:18*pm, "George" wrote:
"Murmansk69" wrote in message

I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/57ereb

Thanks for the replies folks but a walkie talkie isn't really the
answer as it's only very occasionally he needs to send a signal and he
needs to press a button as the nature of his illness is that he won't
be able to speak - walkie talkies would eat batteries over time and be
subject to potential interference from other units in the area

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 7:18 pm, "George" wrote:
"Murmansk69" wrote in message

I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/57ereb

Thanks for the replies folks but a walkie talkie isn't really the
answer as it's only very occasionally he needs to send a signal and he
needs to press a button as the nature of his illness is that he won't
be able to speak - walkie talkies would eat batteries over time and be
subject to potential interference from other units in the area

Well you don't have to speak because it has....
Call alert tone....
also it has nine channels to alternate in case of interferance,on saying
that a cheap doorbell has been known to interfere with remote appliances.
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 7:05*pm, Murmansk69 wrote:
I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Friedland do a '200m' range chime:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=f...0m&btnG=Search
+Products&hl=en&scoring=p

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk69 used his keyboard to write :
I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

Thanks

Friedland do a 200m range one, which is only available via wholesalers.
They used to do range extenders/repeaters, but dropped them due to some
problems of misuse - An wholesaler might still have some stock of them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
George wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks but a walkie talkie isn't really the
answer as it's only very occasionally he needs to send a signal and he
needs to press a button as the nature of his illness is that he won't
be able to speak -

I would suggest using a Care Phone on his PBX extension with a wireless
pendant. These can be programmed to dial several numbers in succession
(you, switchboard operator, etc) and will keep trying until the call is
answered. These can be had from BT, Geemarc etc.

This does assume that the colleage stays within pendant range of his
phone, but it is intended for the job. There is a liability issue if
inadequate equipment is used.

I would suggest that whatever is used, it should be tested and documented
eg weekly.

Owain

GOOD POINT MAN.

MICKY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:05:01 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk69
wrote:

I need a device so that someone at work can press a button to tell me
(the first aider) when he is feeling unwell and needs help.

I bought a cheap cordless doorbell but because of the layout of the
offices it can't reach through the walls as far as my office.

Do some cordless doorbells have longer ranges or repeater devices like
I think I've seen available for DECT phones?

I got a Byron extender which is very satisfactory from B&Q recently.
It is battery powered but batteries last much longer these days.
Scheduled replacement should avoid any problems on that score - see
http://www.chbyron.eu/home.php. The Friedland extender is also battery
powered.