DEBORAH DOYLE

Default Makita Cordless Drill No Longer Reverses - Can I fix this?

Okay okay I should definitely not have done it but I handed my 5 year
old 9.6 V Makita cordless drill to a temporary worker, a kid, who
didn't really understand them (he SAID he did but no, as it turns
out)and he held onto the snout and twisted it (in F) in reverse to
back out a bit. He must have done this with steely determination.
The F/R switch will no longer go into R, it freezes 1/2 way there, and
only the forward torque works - there is no action in the 1/2way
there, and when I slide it to the full R posiition it will not only
not remain in that position but there is no action at that position
either.

Has anyone popped the case on these to see if it's intelligible in
there? Should I have a go inside at fisxing this?

I have 3 of these and am dedicated to them. The ones with higher
voltage are too heavy for me, I'm a girl thankyou, and I still use the
batteries that have the one metal clamp in front. Unfortunately the
other 2 drills are at home, which is in a different state from my art
studio where I am now, and I do not have that much work in January or
I would probably just go out and buy another drill.

Thanks in advance to anyone troubling to reply who knows something
about this. Sometimes the repair people at customer service at
Matita/Hitachi/Bosh/etc are really great and sometimes they just make
one sad at their entire disregard for someone who's trying to get a
job done.
Deborah
Bay Area Dave

there are 3 interrelated parts:

1) the switch that you flip for F/R
2) a detent spring that holds the switch fast
3) the actual electrical switch inside that is also connected to the
trigger.

one of those components has gone belly up.

If you take it apart, you should be able to isolate the defective part.

dave

DEBORAH DOYLE wrote:

[...]

Eugene

DEBORAH DOYLE wrote:

[...]

Well I'm not a girl, but I like the smaller size of the 9.6v drills because
they fit inside places like cabinets or between studs better than the big
ones. Makita's web site under service has parts drawings available in .pdf
format for download so you can see what is inside. If your drill is like
mine there is a simple switch in the rear of the drill, should be an
inexpensive part (the whole motor is only $20). You can call and order
from them or plug in your address to locate a dealer who can order and sell
you the parts or could fix it for you if you don't want to take it apart
yourself (they come apart easily, take out all the screws and they come in
half and all the guts stay in on half. I've bought a few of the 9.6v tools
off ebay, some working, some broken, some just needed cleaned up, fixed
what needed fixed and use they all the time.
George

I'm taking bets he dropped it on its heel, or used it as a hammer.

Just got a 30th anniversary version long battery myself. Replacement NiCd
for my fifteen year old one was $40, did the Menard 18% off and on sale for
the new one with _two_ NiMH batteries for $58.

My hand spans 10" and I love the standard and right angle versions I own.

"Eugene" wrote in message
DEBORAH DOYLE wrote:

[...]

Eugene

"Eugene" wrote in message
DEBORAH DOYLE wrote:

[...]

I'm still trying to get a right angle. No Menards near here. I've been
thinking about picking up a new one sice I can get the whole kit for the
price of two new batteries.