Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default compression fittings

Hello,

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP? And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

I ask because Screwfix sell male compression couples that have a 15mm
nut on one side and a 1/2 inch male thread on the other. I wondered
whether this is just a straight 15mm couple with one nut removed or
are they different?

Similarly is a 22mm to 3/4 inch couple just a 2mm straight couple with
one nut removed?

Thanks.
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP? And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

Don't think so.

I ask because Screwfix sell male compression couples that have a 15mm
nut on one side and a 1/2 inch male thread on the other. I wondered
whether this is just a straight 15mm couple with one nut removed or
are they different?

Similarly is a 22mm to 3/4 inch couple just a 2mm straight couple with
one nut removed?

I think they are for connection to iron pipe or possibly to connect to tanks
etc.

Someone will be along in a minute I'm sure...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP? And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

I ask because Screwfix sell male compression couples that have a 15mm
nut on one side and a 1/2 inch male thread on the other. I wondered
whether this is just a straight 15mm couple with one nut removed or
are they different?

Similarly is a 22mm to 3/4 inch couple just a 2mm straight couple with
one nut removed?

A compression fitting has a internal taper for the olive. A male coupler
not.

Thanks.
Stephen.

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 10:13*am, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP?

IME almost always yes.

And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

No unfortunately, would be handy it it was.

I ask because Screwfix sell male compression couples that have a 15mm
nut on one side and a 1/2 inch male thread on the other. I wondered
whether this is just a straight 15mm couple with one nut removed or
are they different?

A 15mm compression to 1/2 BSP male will have a flat on the threaded
end to seal against a washer.

In a pinch where needing the above, I've used a 15mm compression
coupler and sanded a flat on one side with medium/fine wet'n'dry
paper.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:42:37 -0700 (PDT), Pete C ukdiy
wrote:

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP?

IME almost always yes.

And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

No unfortunately, would be handy it it was.

Sorry, I should have known that because 22mm and 3/4 inch fittings can
be used together only with special olives, can't they.

A 15mm compression to 1/2 BSP male will have a flat on the threaded
end to seal against a washer.

In a pinch where needing the above, I've used a 15mm compression
coupler and sanded a flat on one side with medium/fine wet'n'dry
paper.

I've got a few 15mm straight couplers so I was hoping to use them,
rather than drive and buy something. The petrol would cost more than
the part! I think in this case, I will get away with a straight
couple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP?

IME almost always yes.

And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

No unfortunately, would be handy it it was.

Sorry, I should have known that because 22mm and 3/4 inch fittings can
be used together only with special olives, can't they.

A few years ago I bought some special olives - at a much greater price
than standard olives - and found they were not special at all. So I took
them back and used a special one I had in the meantime found down the
back of the sofa (or similarly silly place). Company refused to accept
there was a problem. Don't buy from Focus (I wouldn't normally but was
the only place I could get to before shop closing on a Sunday afternoon)!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

A few years ago I bought some special olives - at a much greater price
than standard olives - and found they were not special at all.

I think you will find that if you buy your olives from a genuine Italian
grower that they are very special indeed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
Rod wrote:

A few years ago I bought some special olives - at a much greater price
than standard olives - and found they were not special at all.

I think you will find that if you buy your olives from a genuine Italian
grower that they are very special indeed.

But are they 22mm or 3/4" ? :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

But are they 22mm or 3/4" ? :-)

We'll be having none of that imperial stuff. We leave that to the
Romans.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:15:38 +0100, Rod
wrote:

A few years ago I bought some special olives - at a much greater price
than standard olives - and found they were not special at all. So I took
them back and used a special one I had in the meantime found down the
back of the sofa (or similarly silly place). Company refused to accept
there was a problem. Don't buy from Focus (I wouldn't normally but was
the only place I could get to before shop closing on a Sunday afternoon)!

I'm surprised Focus stock something as exotic as 3/4 in olives!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote:

Is the thread on a 15mm compression fitting 1/2 inch BSP?

IME almost always yes.

And on a
22mm fitting 3/4 inch?

No unfortunately, would be handy it it was.

Sorry, I should have known that because 22mm and 3/4 inch fittings can
be used together only with special olives, can't they.

A 15mm compression to 1/2 BSP male will have a flat on the threaded
end to seal against a washer.

In a pinch where needing the above, I've used a 15mm compression
coupler and sanded a flat on one side with medium/fine wet'n'dry
paper.

I've got a few 15mm straight couplers so I was hoping to use them,
rather than drive and buy something. The petrol would cost more than
the part! I think in this case, I will get away with a straight
couple.

If the fitting fits the screwed connection, then it should be OK. Use lots
of PTFE Tape.
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
Rod wrote:

But are they 22mm or 3/4" ? :-)

We'll be having none of that imperial stuff. We leave that to the
Romans.

But how do you write 3/4 in Roman?

Surely they must have used XXIImm? Or should that be XXIIMM?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:20:33 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Rod wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
But how do you write 3/4 in Roman?
Surely they must have used XXIImm? Or should that be XXIIMM?

0.LXXV uncia?

(Yes, I know there's a flaw in there somewhere...)

Or maybe they didn't have any pipework smaller than one digitus and
microbore heating really only became popular in the MCMLXs.

Yes - hypocausts use pipes a wee bit bigger...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A few years ago I bought some special olives - at a much greater price
than standard olives - and found they were not special at all. So I took
them back and used a special one I had in the meantime found down the
back of the sofa (or similarly silly place). Company refused to accept
there was a problem. Don't buy from Focus (I wouldn't normally but was
the only place I could get to before shop closing on a Sunday afternoon)!

I'm surprised Focus stock something as exotic as 3/4 in olives!

I used a few of these in my 1950's house. It was cheaper to use a 3/4
olive to couple up to some old low pressure (from gravity tank)
pipework than replace with new 22mm pipe.

P.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:34:09 +0100, "Baz"
wrote:

If the fitting fits the screwed connection, then it should be OK. Use lots
of PTFE Tape.

When using a 15mm to 1/2 inch couple, such as Screwfix 12341, should a
washer be used in the imperial side? I must confess I have always used
lots of PTFE but never used a washer. Have I been doing it wrong?

I realise my OP was about male-male couples rather than these but even
then, the male gets connected to something.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Compression Fittings David Klyne UK diy 7 January 14th 08 02:20 PM
Compression fittings Arthur 51 UK diy 3 September 5th 07 02:36 PM
Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex good price valvetom Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 06:20 PM
Compression Fittings The Medway Handyman UK diy 16 November 16th 06 05:52 PM
compression fittings..... pah! Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) UK diy 75 October 13th 05 08:55 AM