Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compression Fittings

Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked out
Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10. Screwfix
were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish) cheaper than
Screwfix.

Pays to shop around innit?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-31 21:31:47 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked out
Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10.
Screwfix were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish) cheaper
than Screwfix.

BES have various packs in different grades

Pays to shop around innit?

Trying several kebab vans?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked out
Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10. Screwfix
were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish) cheaper than
Screwfix.

Pays to shop around innit?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never
really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will
be seen.

It just saves so much stress and aggro checking for that little tiny
drip on the bottom of the compression joint every few minutes

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked
out Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10.
Screwfix were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish)
cheaper than Screwfix.

Pays to shop around innit?

Pop into your local plumbers merchant,you'd be suprised?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Pays to shop around innit?

Yehbut were they all the same quality?

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Pays to shop around innit?

Yehbut were they all the same quality?

No but, yeh but, this fing happened what you don't know anyfing about, and
anyway they is all made to BS 864 part 2, so shuddup.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-31 23:55:32 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Pays to shop around innit?

Yehbut were they all the same quality?

No but, yeh but, this fing happened what you don't know anyfing about,
and anyway they is all made to BS 864 part 2, so shuddup.

So was the Titanic....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

No but, yeh but, this fing happened what you don't know anyfing about, and
anyway they is all made to BS 864 part 2, so shuddup.

You mean the chinese interpretation of BS 864. P2!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked
out Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10.
Screwfix were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish)
cheaper than Screwfix.

Pays to shop around innit?

Pop into your local plumbers merchant,you'd be suprised?

At how expensive they are.

15mm end-feed slip coupler. B&Q £1.06, plumber's merchant over four times
that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked
out Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10.
Screwfix were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish)
cheaper than Screwfix.

Pays to shop around innit?

Pop into your local plumbers merchant,you'd be suprised?

At how expensive they are.

15mm end-feed slip coupler. B&Q £1.06, plumber's merchant over four
times that!

Did you not notice the ? at the end?

What this means it might be dearer in other parts of the country,in my PM
its cheaper to shop there for plumbing which is a 3min walk

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many of the Chinese compression fittings don't comply to the the
specific metal content requirements of the standards. Lead content
being a critical element. Importers such as distributors don't have
the equipement to undertake metal analysis hence rely on the Chinese
manufacturers to make the product to standard!

The UK brands Conex and Yorkshire I know analyse and control the metal
contents of their compression fittings on every batch.

Lastly DZR (dezincification resistant) fittings are required for some
ares of the country since the zinc can be leached out by the poor water
quality. This can rot the fitting in a few years.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Pays to shop around innit?

Yehbut were they all the same quality?

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
s.com...

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I have never had any problems with branded compression fitting like Conex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-31 23:55:32 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Pays to shop around innit?

Yehbut were they all the same quality?

No but, yeh but, this fing happened what you don't know anyfing about,
and anyway they is all made to BS 864 part 2, so shuddup.

So was the Titanic....

Mat, thet Titanic was a pipe fitting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never
really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will
be seen.

OK for the amateur with money to waste I suppose. But it really doesn't
take too much effort to learn how to solder. And save a substantial sum on
each and every joint.

It just saves so much stress and aggro checking for that little tiny
drip on the bottom of the compression joint every few minutes

Again, it's technique. A properly made one won't drip.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never
really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will
be seen.

OK for the

Terrible isn't it. He has even got me mixed up with someone else. It is best
he just effs off as he really is an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never
really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will
be seen.

OK for the

Terrible isn't it. He has even got me mixed up with someone else.

Not at all. It was the unquoted text in your post. If you understand what
that means - which I doubt.

It is best
he just effs off as he really is an idiot.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never
really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will
be seen.

OK for the

Terrible isn't it. He has even got me mixed up with someone else.

Not at all. It was the unquoted text in your post. If you understand what
that means - which I doubt.

Sad isn't it. It is best he just effs off as he really is an idiot.