Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How deep are waste pipes?

I am renting a shop with a basement in which I work and have been thinking
of running mains water in there and had assumed that I would need a pump to
get the waste out.
Moving some stuff about today I noted an irregular looking piece of skirting
so removed it and found what appears to be an opening to a 5 inch waste
pipe.
The basement floor is approx 8 feet beneath the level of the outside road,
is it normal for drainage/waste to be so deep?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I am renting a shop with a basement in which I work and have been thinking
of running mains water in there and had assumed that I would need a pump to
get the waste out.
Moving some stuff about today I noted an irregular looking piece of skirting
so removed it and found what appears to be an opening to a 5 inch waste
pipe.
The basement floor is approx 8 feet beneath the level of the outside road,
is it normal for drainage/waste to be so deep?

It all depends on the locality.
It could be any depth from a foot to 10 feet deep. I've come across both
of those depths in the last few months.
The 10 foot deep one was at the top of a hill, the 1 foot was at the end
of a run in a cul de sac, with a gentle slope downward from there.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I am renting a shop with a basement in which I work and have been
thinking of running mains water in there and had assumed that I
would need a pump to get the waste out.
Moving some stuff about today I noted an irregular looking piece of
skirting so removed it and found what appears to be an opening to a 5
inch waste pipe.
The basement floor is approx 8 feet beneath the level of the outside
road, is it normal for drainage/waste to be so deep?

It's not unknown. But I'm mot sure that it's a good idea to have an open -
albeit trapped - connection at that level. Just imagine what will happen if
it gets blocked downstream, and backs up - ugh!! It's far safer to pump
upwards and connect at street level.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
R D S wrote:

I am renting a shop with a basement in which I work and have been
thinking of running mains water in there and had assumed that I
would need a pump to get the waste out.
Moving some stuff about today I noted an irregular looking piece of
skirting so removed it and found what appears to be an opening to a 5
inch waste pipe.
The basement floor is approx 8 feet beneath the level of the outside
road, is it normal for drainage/waste to be so deep?

It's not unknown. But I'm mot sure that it's a good idea to have an open -
albeit trapped - connection at that level. Just imagine what will happen
if it gets blocked downstream, and backs up - ugh!! It's far safer to pump
upwards and connect at street level.

Apparently it goes into the storm drain and into a culvert under the road.