Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default How deep are waste pipes?

R D S wrote:

I am renting a shop with a basement in which I work and have been thinking
of running mains water in there and had assumed that I would need a pump to
get the waste out.
Moving some stuff about today I noted an irregular looking piece of skirting
so removed it and found what appears to be an opening to a 5 inch waste
pipe.
The basement floor is approx 8 feet beneath the level of the outside road,
is it normal for drainage/waste to be so deep?

It all depends on the locality.
It could be any depth from a foot to 10 feet deep. I've come across both
of those depths in the last few months.
The 10 foot deep one was at the top of a hill, the 1 foot was at the end
of a run in a cul de sac, with a gentle slope downward from there.
Alan.