Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to connect two waste pipes to trap

Hi,

I have just bought my first dishwasher, but my waste trap only has one
waste pipe connection which is being used by the washing machine. Any
idea where I can get an adapter to connect both pipes? So far I've
only seen complete waste traps, but I only need the bit that screws on
to my current waste trap with two pipe connectors.

TIA,

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:42:07 +0100 someone who may be Marky P
wrote this:-

I have just bought my first dishwasher, but my waste trap only has one
waste pipe connection which is being used by the washing machine. Any
idea where I can get an adapter to connect both pipes? So far I've
only seen complete waste traps, but I only need the bit that screws on
to my current waste trap with two pipe connectors.

You are assuming that there is a suitable bit to screw on. There may
not be one, though without knowing more about your trap I doubt if
anyone could say.

Traps which take two machine outlets are available from a range of
suppliers, in a variety of designs. Someone who can afford a
dishwasher should be able to buy such a trap and they tend to be
flexible enough to fit most situations.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:42:07 +0100, Marky P
wrote:

I have just bought my first dishwasher, but my waste trap only has one
waste pipe connection which is being used by the washing machine. Any
idea where I can get an adapter to connect both pipes? So far I've
only seen complete waste traps, but I only need the bit that screws on
to my current waste trap with two pipe connectors.

Hello,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I have included some
links. I have no relation to the company involved, other than being an
occasional customer.

You say that you have a trap being used by a washing machine, so does
it look like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18640

You can get appliance adaptors like this...

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11180

....that allow you to connect appliance into traps, though I always
thought they were meant for sink traps rather than washing machine
ones.

Of course you could cut into the drain pipe after your existing trap
and fit a tee piece and add a second trap to that.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=73315

Does anyone here know the reason that washing mcahine traps have a
long length of pipe? I have three ideas:

1. It prevents back syphoning of foul water into the washer

2. If the washing machine drains faster than the waste pipe can
manage, it prevents flooding from the trap overflowing

3. Assuming they are fitted low down, it lifts the drain to a more
convenient height, that you can easily reach behind the washer.

Does anyone know which (if any) are right?
If (2) if both the dishwasher and washing machine drained at the same
time, could this be an issue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marky P" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just bought my first dishwasher, but my waste trap only has one
waste pipe connection which is being used by the washing machine. Any
idea where I can get an adapter to connect both pipes? So far I've
only seen complete waste traps, but I only need the bit that screws on
to my current waste trap with two pipe connectors.

TIA,

Marky P.

dual appliance trap at B&Q- www.diy.com search for 5011141108123

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 9:42 am, Marky P wrote:
Hi,

I have just bought my first dishwasher, but my waste trap only has one
waste pipe connection which is being used by the washing machine. Any
idea where I can get an adapter to connect both pipes? So far I've
only seen complete waste traps, but I only need the bit that screws on
to my current waste trap with two pipe connectors.

TIA,

Marky P.

Hi,

I use one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?
cId=101168&ts=49468&id=11879

They come with a non return valve so can go either side of a trap.

Some say they're not the 'proper' way to do things but I've had no
problems with mine.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:20:18 -0700, Pete C
wrote:

cId=101168&ts=49468&id=11879

Thanks for all the replys. I've decided to go for a complete trap
with two spigots, which I got off ebay for £4 brand new.

Cheers,

Marky P.

washing machine waste trap Ben UK diy 0 July 23rd 07 07:57 PM
how do I connect broken pipes check Home Repair 13 June 10th 07 02:53 AM
Loosening plastic waste water trap Clive UK diy 1 April 21st 06 04:47 PM
sink waste connect to bath waste? Vass UK diy 5 November 18th 05 05:40 PM
Leaking waste downpipe (into trap) [email protected] UK diy 0 February 21st 05 10:26 AM