Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Frosted" glass - one side smooth - which way round?

Replacing a 38 year old glass pane in back door (I broke it removing old putty).
The new glass is toughened and patterned on one side only.
Is there any convention/advantage for which way round it goes? Smooth side in or
out?
I can't detect any difference in the obscurity either way.
I am inclined to put the smooth side out - since the reason for removing the old
was pane (patterned both sides) was water penetration at the bottom.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geo" wrote in message
Replacing a 38 year old glass pane in back door (I broke it removing old
putty).
The new glass is toughened and patterned on one side only.
Is there any convention/advantage for which way round it goes? Smooth side
in or
out?
I can't detect any difference in the obscurity either way.
I am inclined to put the smooth side out - since the reason for removing
the old
was pane (patterned both sides) was water penetration at the bottom.

Geo

It will be easier to clean outdoor muck off if you put the smooth to the
outside.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Geo" wrote in message
Replacing a 38 year old glass pane in back door (I broke it removing old
putty).
The new glass is toughened and patterned on one side only.
Is there any convention/advantage for which way round it goes? Smooth side
in or
out?
I can't detect any difference in the obscurity either way.
I am inclined to put the smooth side out - since the reason for removing
the old
was pane (patterned both sides) was water penetration at the bottom.

It will be easier to clean outdoor muck off if you put the smooth to the
outside.

Yes, that's the conventional way to do it

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geo wrote:

Replacing a 38 year old glass pane in back door (I broke it removing
old putty).
The new glass is toughened and patterned on one side only.
Is there any convention/advantage for which way round it goes? Smooth side
in or out?
I can't detect any difference in the obscurity either way.
I am inclined to put the smooth side out - since the reason for
removing the
old pane (patterned both sides) was water penetration at the bottom.

That would be the way to do it if you ever intend to clean it.

--
AnneJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geo wrote:
Replacing a 38 year old glass pane in back door (I broke it removing
old putty). The new glass is toughened and patterned on one side only.
Is there any convention/advantage for which way round it goes? Smooth
side in or out?
I can't detect any difference in the obscurity either way.
I am inclined to put the smooth side out - since the reason for
removing the old was pane (patterned both sides) was water
penetration at the bottom.

Geo

Geo,

Whichever side you putty will be the smoothe side of the glass - this
allows an easy finishing of the putty and ensures a good seal is made to
allow rainwater to run off the glass.

To get an even better water seal - when painting, allow the paint to go over
the putty and onto the glass by a few millimetres (do this freehand to form
a 'feather' edge and *not* using masking tape to get a 'straight finish).

BTW, the 'rule' applies whether the glass is fitted internally or
externally.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:50:49 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It will be easier to clean outdoor muck off if you put the smooth to the
outside.

Yep, no nooks and crannies for algae to grow in. I expect the putty fillet
is on the outside as well this would also put the smooth side out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Replying to everyone in one message to prevent clutter...

Amazingly unanimous response - although there was some domestic dispute here
about my utility/computer/workshop room being the dirtier side.

The previous glass had small cushion-like bulges on both sides. The frame is
symmetrical with mitred mouldings on both sides of the door. There was a small
amount of putty for seating between the outside wood moulding and the glass. The
paint was taken up on to the glass - but the door gets heavy use and has the
bronze draft strip which requires a firm closing action (slam). The paint seal
had cracked in two places about 1/4" long which was enough to allow water
through when we had the Easterly wet weather.

Toughend glass (gotta have that these days apparently) replacement was £15.50
for 605mm x 550mm. I will be using silicon gazing compound instead of putty to
hopefully get a better seal.

Thanks all.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 3:43*pm, Geo wrote:

Toughend glass (gotta have that these days apparently)

Not if you tell the glass man it's for a summer house ;-)

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 05:51:55 -0700 (PDT), geraldthehamster
wrote:

On Jul 27, 3:43*pm, Geo wrote:

Toughend glass (gotta have that these days apparently)

Not if you tell the glass man it's for a summer house ;-)

Yeah - could have bit my tongue on the phone when they said that.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On Jul 27, 3:43*pm, Geo wrote:

Toughend glass (gotta have that these days apparently)

Not if you tell the glass man it's for a summer house ;-)

My summerhouse was fitted with toughened glass,
by the manufacturer.

--
AnneJ