Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NIC Phone Box: Right Hand Side For "Customer Side" ?

Hi,

Just want to be sure, before I get started:

Is it the right-hand side of the Verizon NIC outside phone connector box
that is the "Customer Side" ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, the one with the actual wires to your individual phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Is it the right-hand side of the Verizon NIC outside
phone connector box that is the "Customer Side" ?

Different telcos use different manufacturers for their SNIDs.

The customer side SHOULD be clearly marked (embossed/raised-letters visible
even through a coat or two of paint) "Customer Access". A common, flat-bladed
screwdriver should open it. If it has not been opened since last being
painted, it may take a lot of banging and coaxing to break the paint "seal".

Regardless, the customer side will be more easily "unlocked" than the telco
side which should require a special tool. Good luck!
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"professorpaul" wrote:

Yes, the one with the actual wires to your individual phones.

Most new, residential construction these days is done with a dedicated 4-pair
for each outlet in the home and extended to a common area, usually near the
furnace. The same is done with prewired coax.

Then, a SINGLE cable is run from that bundle out to the SNID or CATV box on
the outside of the premise.

If adding a "leg" to this "hub"-type of network (phone or TV), it is
preferable to begin at the bundle rather than the box on the outside of the
house.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Robert11" wrote:

Is it the right-hand side of the Verizon NIC outside phone connector box
that is the "Customer Side" ?

The "customer side" is the side that's _clearly_labelled_ "customer access".

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:12:59 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Just want to be sure, before I get started:

Is it the right-hand side of the Verizon NIC outside phone connector box
that is the "Customer Side" ?

My box is too low and stuck in a corner, or I am too old to get down
that low, to read what it says on it.

But mine works so: One standard screw has to be loosened to open the
cover on one side, and only after that is open can the second cover be
opened because the first cover overlaps the second cover.

So the first cover is for the customer.

The second cover has something additional keeping it closed, and I've
never tried to open it. There isn't much in there, is there?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it the right-hand side of the Verizon NIC outside phone connector box
that is the "Customer Side" ?

My box is too low and stuck in a corner, or I am too old to get down
that low, to read what it says on it.

But mine works so: One standard screw has to be loosened to open the
cover on one side

And that's another way to tell the difference: the customer side can be opened
with a standard screwdriver. You need a "security" screwdriver to open the
phone company side.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Just want to be sure, before I get started:

Is it the right-hand side of the Verizon NIC outside phone connector box
that is the "Customer Side" ?

Thanks,
Bob

It will vary from one NID manufacturer to another. The customer side is
the one you can open without a can wrench. Just unscrew the screw
labeled customer access, open the cover, and the terminals thus exposed
are the customer wiring connections.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:12:59 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

snipped

The second cover has something additional keeping it closed, and I've
never tried to open it. There isn't much in there, is there?

Thanks,
Bob

Spooky stuff in there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
mm wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:12:59 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

snipped

The second cover has something additional keeping it closed, and I've
never tried to open it. There isn't much in there, is there?

Thanks,
Bob

Spooky stuff in there!

Chuckle. Things live in mine. I definitely recommend wearing gloves when you
open it, and blowing it out with a shop vac if you see spider eggs and
whatnot. Those spider bites are nasty.

aem sends...