Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stain or varnish wooden floor?

I have a very old wooden plank floor - probably over 100 years old. The wood
is just planks, nothing special but SWMBO likes it, bumps, holes and all.

I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort of protection but
NOT a gloss finish.

Can I just use a light stain or does it have to be floor varnish - or have I
missed something about floor protection?

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-04 08:30:07 +0100, "Mark BR" said:

I have a very old wooden plank floor - probably over 100 years old. The wood
is just planks, nothing special but SWMBO likes it, bumps, holes and all.

I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort of protection but
NOT a gloss finish.

Can I just use a light stain or does it have to be floor varnish - or have I
missed something about floor protection?

--
Mark BR

Is it hardwood or softwood?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-04 08:30:07 +0100, "Mark BR" said:

I have a very old wooden plank floor - probably over 100 years old.
The wood is just planks, nothing special but SWMBO likes it, bumps,
holes and all. I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort
of
protection but NOT a gloss finish.

Can I just use a light stain or does it have to be floor varnish -
or have I missed something about floor protection?

--
Mark BR

Is it hardwood or softwood?

Soft wood - in some places very soft wood!

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-04 08:30:07 +0100, "Mark BR" said:

I have a very old wooden plank floor - probably over 100 years old.
The wood is just planks, nothing special but SWMBO likes it, bumps,
holes and all. I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort
of
protection but NOT a gloss finish.

Can I just use a light stain or does it have to be floor varnish -
or have I missed something about floor protection?

--
Mark BR

Is it hardwood or softwood?

Soft wood - in some places very soft wood!

--
Mark BR

Stain won't protect it.

I'm completely with you on not wanting to create a gloss finish. Why
people want to make a natural wood look like plastic escapes me - they
might as well have laminate if they want that.

Staining of softwood can be a tricky business because different areas
may have different amounts of absorbency and reaction to the colour.
Certainly trying to make it look like something it isn't such as oak is
likely not to come out well - e.g. patchy and the wrong colour.

Something like Ronseal Hard Clear Floor Varnish is available in satin.
Rustins make a similar product.

These would darken the wood very slightly bu not impart much of a
change of colour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jun, 08:30, "Mark BR" wrote:

I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort of protection but
NOT a gloss finish.

There's only one varnish I'll use on floors - acid catalysed
formaldehyde. Rustin's Floorcoat or Liberon's. Not cheap, but far
quicker, super-rapid curing, extra-hard surface and fewer coats
overall (finished prices are comparable with good floor polys).

These come in gloss and semi-gloss. If you want it duller, go over it
with pumice on a polisher afterwards. This is always a better way to
dull down a varnish, rather than stuffing the liquid full of talc and
making the whole thickness translucent.

If you want it darker, stain the wood first and then apply a clear
varnish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-06-04 08:30:07 +0100, "Mark BR" said:

[...]

There is no way I would obtain a none -patchy finish, the wood is very
variable in quality and colour even now. I don't want to pretend it is pine
or oak or what have you. I just want to protect it a bit, I suppose from a
spilt coffee or something. It is a second bedroom floor and the intention is
to make it look like an old place.

I'll look at the Satin varnishes.

Thanks

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mark BR wrote:
I have a very old wooden plank floor - probably over 100 years old. The wood
is just planks, nothing special but SWMBO likes it, bumps, holes and all.

I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort of protection but
NOT a gloss finish.

Can I just use a light stain or does it have to be floor varnish - or have I
missed something about floor protection?

Have you considered wax? On its own or over a light oil? You don't have
to buff it up to a high sheen. Or even just oil?

Obviously provides a much lower level of protection that sound varnish
layers.
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Mark BR wrote:
I have a very old wooden plank floor - probably over 100 years old.
The wood is just planks, nothing special but SWMBO likes it, bumps,
holes and all. I've sanded it to clean it up and want to give some sort
of
protection but NOT a gloss finish.

Can I just use a light stain or does it have to be floor varnish -
or have I missed something about floor protection?

Have you considered wax? On its own or over a light oil? You don't
have to buff it up to a high sheen. Or even just oil?

Obviously provides a much lower level of protection that sound varnish
layers.

No ............. I'll give it some thought as it sounds an interesting idea.

Thanks

--
Mark BR

Solid Stain over Varnish? Walter R. Home Repair 3 August 18th 07 05:45 PM
Wooden floor sanding - sealer before varnish JoeJoe UK diy 1 December 27th 05 02:47 PM
Food safe stain/varnish Woodworking 13 August 12th 05 01:56 AM
Water based wood varnish and floor varnish recommendations [email protected] UK diy 3 May 12th 05 03:32 PM
Varnish or Stain Frank Davis UK diy 13 June 7th 04 01:45 PM