Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid Stain over Varnish?

25 years ago, my entry door started with a stain and a layer of lacquer,
which was not worth a darn. Fifteen years ago, I used "Furniture Restorer"
to smooth out the badly weathered lacquer finish.

I then gave it two coats of spar varnish. Now the varnish is
weathering/deteriorating. It is not coming off, just looks weathered and
dark in some areas.

The door is heavily carved and paneled. I can't see how I could possibly
remove the old finishes. The wood is solid mahogany.

Can I use a "Solid Stain" on top of the old varnish? That way the exterior
finish would look uniform, without looking painted. ??

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 11:36 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
25 years ago, my entry door started with a stain and a layer of lacquer,
which was not worth a darn. Fifteen years ago, I used "Furniture Restorer"
to smooth out the badly weathered lacquer finish.

I then gave it two coats of spar varnish. Now the varnish is
weathering/deteriorating. It is not coming off, just looks weathered and
dark in some areas.

The door is heavily carved and paneled. I can't see how I could possibly
remove the old finishes. The wood is solid mahogany.

Can I use a "Solid Stain" on top of the old varnish? That way the exterior
finish would look uniform, without looking painted. ??

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

Most solid stains look very much like paint because they serve a
similar function. They hide what is underneath. You might be able to
use a gel stain, which is a thick stain type product that while
covering up, is designed to leave some shading, brush strokes, etc,
that appear similar to natural wood variation.

However, with a solid mahogany door, I think my first approach would
be to strip it and then use a regular stain and clear coat sealer. I
stripped my double entry doors. I used paint/varnish remover. It did
take some time and elbow work to deal with the various features, but
the results were well worth it. Another option would be to take them
to a shop that does professional stripping refinishing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. I am too old to take this one myself. I'll try to find a
professional stripper.

My concern with stripping is that the interior is in excellent condition and
I am afraid, if they use stripper on the exterior side, the liquids will
ooze through the many cracks were the door is assembled, ruining the
interior side.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

There are new strippers available that are not like the ones you remember.
Also consider varathane water based spar finish for the final clear coat.
Hard to find but it is easier to apply than the oil based and you can easily
do 4 coats in a day.

"Walter R." wrote in message
Thank you. I am too old to take this one myself. I'll try to find a
professional stripper.

My concern with stripping is that the interior is in excellent condition
and I am afraid, if they use stripper on the exterior side, the liquids
will ooze through the many cracks were the door is assembled, ruining the
interior side.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

oups.com...

Food safe stain/varnish Woodworking 13 August 12th 05 01:56 AM
Is it OK to stain and varnish the outside of an exterior door that gets some sunlight? [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 25th 04 04:17 AM
Beer as a wood stain/dye/varnish [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 13th 04 08:09 PM
Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck? Mike in DE. Home Repair 1 September 7th 04 08:17 PM
Varnish or Stain Frank Davis UK diy 13 June 7th 04 01:45 PM