Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strimmer petrol leak

My McCulloch two-stroke strimmer has started leaking fuel though the
breather in the filler cap.

It seems to have started whilst it was in storage over winter but I didn't
really twig to the problem until I had to top up its tank and found it
dripping continuously through the vent plug.

I guess I just need a new cap but any ideas as to why it should have started
leaking in the first place? There are no cracks and the O-ring is intact.
The fuel is definitely coming through the central breather plug.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie laid this down on his screen :
My McCulloch two-stroke strimmer has started leaking fuel though the breather
in the filler cap.

It seems to have started whilst it was in storage over winter but I didn't
really twig to the problem until I had to top up its tank and found it
dripping continuously through the vent plug.

I guess I just need a new cap but any ideas as to why it should have started
leaking in the first place? There are no cracks and the O-ring is intact.
The fuel is definitely coming through the central breather plug.

Tim

If this is while it is in use....

Could it be the fuel which is being agitated to the point where it is
able to splash up and out of the vent. There should be some sort of
baffle to prevent this and encourage the fuel to drain back down into
the tank. Is the baffle missing?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Downie laid this down on his screen :
My McCulloch two-stroke strimmer has started leaking fuel though
the breather in the filler cap.

It seems to have started whilst it was in storage over winter but I
didn't really twig to the problem until I had to top up its tank
and found it dripping continuously through the vent plug.

I guess I just need a new cap but any ideas as to why it should
have started leaking in the first place? There are no cracks and
the O-ring is intact. The fuel is definitely coming through the
central breather plug. Tim

If this is while it is in use....

No. I happens if I just tip the strimmer so that the fuel covers the filler
cap.

I had a quick google for McCulloch spares but could find filler caps.
Anyone know of a site selling filler caps?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie explained on 31/05/2008 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Downie laid this down on his screen :
My McCulloch two-stroke strimmer has started leaking fuel though
the breather in the filler cap.

It seems to have started whilst it was in storage over winter but I
didn't really twig to the problem until I had to top up its tank
and found it dripping continuously through the vent plug.

I guess I just need a new cap but any ideas as to why it should
have started leaking in the first place? There are no cracks and
the O-ring is intact. The fuel is definitely coming through the
central breather plug. Tim

If this is while it is in use....

No. I happens if I just tip the strimmer so that the fuel covers the filler
cap.

I had a quick google for McCulloch spares but could find filler caps. Anyone
know of a site selling filler caps?

Tim

In that case I would suspect the filler itself is not sealing properly,
I think the cap needs to seal to enable the breather to work as
designed. We had a plastic filler cap on a plastic tank (lawnmower).
The cap would tighten up, but binding on its threads due to distortion,
it would not screw down all the way to the O ring seal.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Downie explained on 31/05/2008 :
The fuel is definitely coming through the
central breather plug. Tim

In that case I would suspect the filler itself is not sealing
properly,

Nope. Please re-read.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 30, 2008 11:51:43 PM UTC+1, Tim Downie wrote:
My McCulloch two-stroke strimmer has started leaking fuel though the breather in the filler cap.It seems to have started whilst it was in storage over winter but I didn't really twig to the problem until I had to top up its tank and found it dripping continuously through the vent plug.I guess I just need a new cap but any ideas as to why it should have started leaking in the first place? There are no cracks and the O-ring is intact. The fuel is definitely coming through the central breather plug.Tim

hi
if you take the cap off and have a look inside see if there is a rubber teat in the middle of the cap i had the same thing somehow mine went missing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

While I agree that web interfaces to usenet definitely need to be improved
and that dates of posts need to be looked at before anyone replies there are
two observations I need to make here.
1. How is it that said portals seem to suddenly regurgitate old messages
for no apparent reason, and..
2. Is there any need to be so obnoxious and insulting over a mistaken reply?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Monday, 2 June 2014 13:47:00 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
wrote:
hi
if you take the cap off and have a look inside see if there is a
rubber teat in the middle of the cap i had the same thing somehow
mine went missing.

Why don't you read the date of the article before you post?

This was over six years ago, I think he's either fixed it or bought a new
one by now.

****ing google groupers should be ****ed off until they learn what a
newsgroup is

Phil's a ****ing idiot , with a capital ****wit
he's replying to an out of date post.
Get a life loser.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
While I agree that web interfaces to usenet definitely need to be
improved and that dates of posts need to be looked at before anyone
replies there are two observations I need to make here.
1. How is it that said portals seem to suddenly regurgitate old
messages for no apparent reason, and..
2. Is there any need to be so obnoxious and insulting over a mistaken
reply? Brian

They're not regurgitating ancient posts as far as the idiots using diybanter
or google groups are concerned, they are viewing a web page with a thread
from 8 or 9 years ago and decide to answer it. This appears in this group
today as an orphaned reply, often with no mention of what the original
thread was about, so a post will appear entitled ' pipes through a garage
wall' and all that will be written is some drivel like, 'I tried those and
found they weren't galvanized and the spring bearings wore down within 2
days'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
They're not regurgitating ancient posts as far as the idiots using
diybanter or google groups are concerned, they are viewing a web page
with a thread from 8 or 9 years ago and decide to answer it. This
appears in this group today as an orphaned reply, often with no mention
of what the original thread was about, so a post will appear entitled
' pipes through a garage wall' and all that will be written is some
drivel like, 'I tried those and found they weren't galvanized and the
spring bearings wore down within 2 days'

Of course, one might expect someone on a d-i-y group to set about
creating a web portal to the group that works, as opposed to letting
some dubious operator somewhere beyond Timbuktu cream off advertising
revenue on the backs of the worthy posters here.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
While I agree that web interfaces to usenet definitely need to be improved
and that dates of posts need to be looked at before anyone replies there are
two observations I need to make here.
1. How is it that said portals seem to suddenly regurgitate old messages
for no apparent reason, and..

Having looked at one of these portals, it seems that the site randomly
promotes an ancient thread as as "top question" or some other guff as a way
of generating traffic out of old messages.

Sadly, these sites don't then rank threads by "most recent reply" but by
date of first post which means that any of our responses are almost
certainly lost in the mists of time as you need to go back to the date of
the original post to see the response rather than seeing it as a recent
post.

All in all, totally ****ed up and no use to man nor beast.

2. Is there any need to be so obnoxious and insulting over a mistaken reply?

Well they do seem to be reducing in frequency so maybe it's working? ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Downie, Edwin Briggs wrote:
I think you will find that the problem is with the fuel cap being a bad fit. I
have great difficulty getting the cap to screw on properly.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ak-482730-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:44:04 GMT
Edwin Briggs m wrote:

replying to Tim Downie, Edwin Briggs wrote:
I think you will find that the problem is with the fuel cap being a
bad fit. I have great difficulty getting the cap to screw on properly.

I think he might have fixed it by now.

"posted on May 30, 2008, 10:51 pm"

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:44:04 GMT
Edwin Briggs m wrote:

replying to Tim Downie, Edwin Briggs wrote:
I think you will find that the problem is with the fuel cap being a
bad fit. I have great difficulty getting the cap to screw on properly.

I think he might have fixed it by now.

"posted on May 30, 2008, 10:51 pm"

Indeed! Bought a new cap from ebay and it's been fine ever since.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y