Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Strimmer petrol leak

Brian Gaff wrote:
While I agree that web interfaces to usenet definitely need to be improved
and that dates of posts need to be looked at before anyone replies there are
two observations I need to make here.
1. How is it that said portals seem to suddenly regurgitate old messages
for no apparent reason, and..

Having looked at one of these portals, it seems that the site randomly
promotes an ancient thread as as "top question" or some other guff as a way
of generating traffic out of old messages.

Sadly, these sites don't then rank threads by "most recent reply" but by
date of first post which means that any of our responses are almost
certainly lost in the mists of time as you need to go back to the date of
the original post to see the response rather than seeing it as a recent
post.

All in all, totally ****ed up and no use to man nor beast.

2. Is there any need to be so obnoxious and insulting over a mistaken reply?

Well they do seem to be reducing in frequency so maybe it's working? ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile