Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strimmer petrol leak

Tim Downie laid this down on his screen :
My McCulloch two-stroke strimmer has started leaking fuel though the breather
in the filler cap.

It seems to have started whilst it was in storage over winter but I didn't
really twig to the problem until I had to top up its tank and found it
dripping continuously through the vent plug.

I guess I just need a new cap but any ideas as to why it should have started
leaking in the first place? There are no cracks and the O-ring is intact.
The fuel is definitely coming through the central breather plug.

Tim

If this is while it is in use....

Could it be the fuel which is being agitated to the point where it is
able to splash up and out of the vent. There should be some sort of
baffle to prevent this and encourage the fuel to drain back down into
the tank. Is the baffle missing?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)