Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wet Rooms

I haven't seen anything good written about wet rooms (in our climate at
least) but they seem a good idea but appreciate that my experience is
limited to those in a hot climate.
Does anybody have anything good to say about them?
I want to build a second toilet/shower room at the back of a garage, off of
a kitchen extenson. This would effectively be a new build.
The only other problem that I have is there a max width of 6ft 6ins and I
still have to maintain access from the front to the back of the house.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2008 21:23:51 +0100, "Zen83237"
wrote:

I haven't seen anything good written about wet rooms (in our climate at
least) but they seem a good idea

In what way?

Seriously - I'm curious about this. Probably the closest that I've
experienced is the shower room at the local "aquatic centre" and I
don't really consider it any better than my shower at home in the
bathroom.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2008 22:53:52 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

I haven't seen anything good written about wet rooms (in our climate at
least) but they seem a good idea

In what way?

Seriously - I'm curious about this. Probably the closest that I've
experienced is the shower room at the local "aquatic centre" and I
don't really consider it any better than my shower at home in the
bathroom.

You must have more than the standard(ish) 800mm square shower enclosure
then. They are much too small for me. If I lift a leg to wash a foot it
has to be on the diagonal and my bum still hits the enclosure. As for
bending over to pick up the dropped soap, forget it. Have maneuver into
the right place so a squat gets you into the right position.

A proper wet room is a much better place, plenty of room, just squeegee
down the floor afterwards. Trouble with this country is that it isn't warm
and dry (as in humidity) enough, partly from the comfort POV and from the
floor not drying completely in the hour or less it does in a warm/dry
climate. Damp and mold would be a problem unless you had underfloor
heating and decent ventilation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 May, 23:39, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Totally agree with Dave, and I agree with his downside comments too.
U/F heating would be great but we've a towel rail and a humidity
sensing fan and they do an adequate job. With all the freedom to move
in our shower I really do not like having a shower in other peoples'
houses.

Slope the tiled floor towards the sunken shower tray - shallow slope
just enough to make the water run, use floor tiles with nobbles on
them so you don't slip and either sink a shower tray into the floor or
create a recessed area (40mm deep) as I did with the tiles. Room is
1500 by 1700 and includes a corner sink and a toilet. You do have to
remember to put the cludgie seat down when showering - nobody likes a
wet bum - and if it's an electric shower on the same mains supply,
don't flush the toilet before showering !

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Slope the tiled floor towards the sunken shower tray - shallow slope
just enough to make the water run, use floor tiles with nobbles on
them so you don't slip and either sink a shower tray into the floor or
create a recessed area (40mm deep) as I did with the tiles.

no need for either a sunken shower tray or a recessed area. The slope on
the tiles is enough.

Having lived for the last 18 years with wet rooms in Japan and Thailand.
The only problems are mold if you don't cleen them often enough
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Zen83237 wrote:
I haven't seen anything good written about wet rooms (in our climate at
least) but they seem a good idea but appreciate that my experience is
limited to those in a hot climate.
Does anybody have anything good to say about them?
I want to build a second toilet/shower room at the back of a garage, off of
a kitchen extenson. This would effectively be a new build.
The only other problem that I have is there a max width of 6ft 6ins and I
still have to maintain access from the front to the back of the house.

At school we had a bathroom. A room with something like 24 baths in it.
And a great big trough/drain around the edge (I'd guess 18 inches deep
and 9 inches across). And water flow/pressure that could fill a bath to
overflowing in maybe a minute or so. Now that was what I call a wet
room. :-)

The problem here was that the wet bits (e.g. the drain trough) remained
wet long after use and became a bit sniffy. Despite large opening
windows and a through draught better suited to a windmill.

--
Rod

onset.

Wet rooms Keith Dunbar UK diy 21 September 21st 07 12:38 PM
getting satellite in other rooms [email protected] UK diy 5 January 13th 06 12:59 PM
Basement rooms Nicky G UK diy 1 November 1st 04 12:59 PM
Rooms to Go nightmare Chris Moore Home Ownership 6 October 30th 04 05:28 AM
TV points in two rooms Paul the D UK diy 3 October 30th 03 09:55 PM