Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dumb question about skirting board...

Is there a standard gap to aim for between the bottom of the skirting board
and the floor? I'm assuming there should be some kind of gap to tuck the
edge of the carpet under, but articles I've seen about fixing skirting don't
seem to mention it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Pyriform" writes:
Is there a standard gap to aim for between the bottom of the skirting board
and the floor? I'm assuming there should be some kind of gap to tuck the
edge of the carpet under, but articles I've seen about fixing skirting don't
seem to mention it...

There's no gap. Where you see one, it's because the floor has dropped.

The carpet is stretched onto a gripper which is spaced just far enough
from the skirting board to tuck/wedge the carpet edge down the gap.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pyriform" wrote in message
Is there a standard gap to aim for between the bottom of the skirting
board and the floor? I'm assuming there should be some kind of gap to tuck
the edge of the carpet under, but articles I've seen about fixing skirting
don't seem to mention it...

No gap. Carpet does not go under the skirting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Pyriform" writes:
Is there a standard gap to aim for between the bottom of the
skirting board and the floor? I'm assuming there should be some kind
of gap to tuck the edge of the carpet under, but articles I've seen
about fixing skirting don't seem to mention it...

There's no gap. Where you see one, it's because the floor has dropped.

The carpet is stretched onto a gripper which is spaced just far enough
from the skirting board to tuck/wedge the carpet edge down the gap.

Ah, thanks for that. That leads me neatly on to my dumb next question, which
is about carpet grippers! I'll start a new thread to keep everything tidy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 10:36*am, "Pyriform" wrote:
Is there a standard gap to aim for between the bottom of the skirting board
and the floor? I'm assuming there should be some kind of gap to tuck the
edge of the carpet under, but articles I've seen about fixing skirting don't
seem to mention it...

I don't think there is a "standard" gap. When I recently fitted new
skirting, it touched the floorboards in some places and not i others,
due to the nature of the old floor boards. As long as its level it
doesnt matter.

Carpet doesn't get tucked under skirting, it butts up to it. The
carpet grippers are fixed parallel to the skirting on the floor,
leaving a small gap (1cm ish) then when carpet is layed it is
stretched over the grippers and down into the gap - my very basic
understanding!

Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 04:45 PM
Skirting board - floor gap Matthew UK diy 8 November 11th 05 10:07 PM
Quick skirting board question John Greenwood UK diy 5 November 10th 03 03:13 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM