Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Those 60 minute makeovers

on the telly,who foots the bill?

Watched this mornings one and they practically replaced all the kitchen
units,cooker,fridge ect.
not to mention the furniture and bedroom suites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In m,
George typed:
on the telly,who foots the bill?

Watched this mornings one and they practically replaced all the
kitchen units,cooker,fridge ect.
not to mention the furniture and bedroom suites.

I assume if on the Beeb TV licence payers. On the other
channels...advertisers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:44:37 GMT, "George"
wrote:

on the telly,who foots the bill?

Watched this mornings one and they practically replaced all the kitchen
units,cooker,fridge ect.
not to mention the furniture and bedroom suites.

£20,000 and the kitchen was awful...all dark and dim ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

on the telly,who foots the bill?

Watched this mornings one and they practically replaced all the kitchen
units,cooker,fridge ect.
not to mention the furniture and bedroom suites.

£20,000 and the kitchen was awful...all dark and dim ..

If you can repeat "Oh my gawd!" - then you can have it done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

on the telly,who foots the bill?

Watched this mornings one and they practically replaced all the kitchen
units,cooker,fridge ect.
not to mention the furniture and bedroom suites.

£20,000 and the kitchen was awful...all dark and dim ..

If you can repeat "Oh my gawd!" - then you can have it done.

At least you don't have to act as 'tea-boy', they bring their own catering
van ;-)

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any close-ups
+ on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too long!

I wonder whether these makeovers are backed by any warranties & would the
homeowners recommend them to their families & friends ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cerberus wrote:

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any close-ups
+ on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too long!

I wonder whether these makeovers are backed by any warranties & would the
homeowners recommend them to their families & friends ;-)

I wonder exactly how close to the supposed 60 minutes they
actually work?

I glimpsed a bit of one a few weeks ago which included a
conservatory. I didn't see how they explained the foundation
slab for it being in place before work started.

Talking of makeovers, did anyone see Grand Designs Today in which
a well-loved old chesterfield was subjected to "Pimp my sofa"?

The end result was a hideous riot of dayglo, and the couple
rejected it in favour of vouchers for £150, the original cost.

An "expert" then valued it at £3.5k to £5k. One of those
responsible for the work explained that this was due to
"popularity". I could only assume, as English was not her first
language, this was not what she was really claiming. :-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
cerberus wrote:

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any

close-ups
+ on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too long!

I wonder whether these makeovers are backed by any warranties & would the
homeowners recommend them to their families & friends ;-)

I wonder exactly how close to the supposed 60 minutes they
actually work?

I glimpsed a bit of one a few weeks ago which included a
conservatory. I didn't see how they explained the foundation
slab for it being in place before work started.

Are you ure about the conservtory? as far as I know in that 60MM show
construction work is not allowed? ie fitting of kitchen
cabinets,wallpapering,painting,general small handyman DIY is all thats
supposed to happen.

As to the one I saw a couple of days ago they just shoved the washing
machine in the hole without connecting the H&C pipes.
They brought it straight in from the outside and plonked it in the cupboard
area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 May 2008 06:58:36 +0100, cerberus wrote:

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any
close-ups + on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too
long!

Of course not it would show up the slap dash workmanship. It will be
interesting to see how these programmes do once HD becomes the norm. SD
hides a multitude of sins... Always assuming that decent HD actually makes
it to the home not some mpeg compressed to nothing version sold as HD.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

I glimpsed a bit of one a few weeks ago which included a
conservatory. I didn't see how they explained the foundation
slab for it being in place before work started.

Are you ure about the conservtory? as far as I know in that 60MM show
construction work is not allowed? ie fitting of kitchen
cabinets,wallpapering,painting,general small handyman DIY is all thats
supposed to happen.

Absolutely. They made the point that this was the first time
they had done it on the show. The foundation slab was in place
before the clock started. On the whistle, wall sections were
brought in, with glazing already fitted. Roof panels, which IIRC
looked like polycarbonate multi-wall sheets were then dropped on.
This was the one
http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/60minut...y/default.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cerberus wrote:

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any
close-ups
+ on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too long!

I wonder whether these makeovers are backed by any warranties & would the
homeowners recommend them to their families & friends ;-)

I wonder exactly how close to the supposed 60 minutes they
actually work?

I once did the electrics for a "This Morning" house make over. The job had
to be completed by 4pm. The programme showed a woman arriving home at
"4:30pm" who was very happy and surprised at the make over. The odd thing is
I left at 6pm, the house was not finished and I never saw the owner.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

cerberus wrote:

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any
close-ups
+ on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too long!

I wonder whether these makeovers are backed by any warranties & would the
homeowners recommend them to their families & friends ;-)

I wonder exactly how close to the supposed 60 minutes they
actually work?

I once did the electrics for a "This Morning" house make over. The job had
to be completed by 4pm. The programme showed a woman arriving home at
"4:30pm" who was very happy and surprised at the make over. The odd thing
is I left at 6pm, the house was not finished and I never saw the owner.

Groundforce is my fav. Tommy & Will start a huge deck halfway through 'day
one' & miraculously just finish it 2 minutes before the punter arrives.

All the decks I've seen on the show would take 2 blokes at least 3
days......

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

cerberus wrote:

[...]

You should buy an video editing suite...get it done in half the time it
takes ya now. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadworth"
saying something like:

I once did the electrics for a "This Morning" house make over. The job had
to be completed by 4pm. The programme showed a woman arriving home at
"4:30pm" who was very happy and surprised at the make over. The odd thing is
I left at 6pm, the house was not finished and I never saw the owner.

gasp

Good Heavens. You don't mean... they tell ... lies?

*******s, my faith in TV will never be the same again.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadworth"
saying something like:

I once did the electrics for a "This Morning" house make over. The job had
to be completed by 4pm. The programme showed a woman arriving home at
"4:30pm" who was very happy and surprised at the make over. The odd thing
is
I left at 6pm, the house was not finished and I never saw the owner.

gasp

Good Heavens. You don't mean... they tell ... lies?

*******s, my faith in TV will never be the same again.

The TV co paid on time. That will do me fine. As will me not having owned a
TV for the last 4 years.

Adam